Sign in to follow this  
Mentch

Mentch's Controversial NFL Power Rankings

Hard to believe we have only 1 week until football season starts. I guess that means it's as good of a time as any to start releasing my Power Rankings that precede Week 1.

Warning: these rankings do not contain playoffs for every team and therefore might leave some fans disappointed

32. Tennessee Titans (3-13)

I expect Chris Johnson to return to form this year. However, I have absolutely no faith in Jake Locker, he looks like a mediocre project at best. But the real reason I have the Titans so low (and ultimately picking so high in the draft) is because their defense is completely overmatched. All of their wins came against crappy teams last year, and whenever they played a team that was even remotely competent, they not only lost, they got BLOWN OUT. 6-10 last season was actually an overachievement for them, hell I bet most people forgot that the Titans even existed this offseason. Luckily, the prize for them ends with them picking 1st in the Clowney sweepstakes

31. NY Jets (3-13)

What can you say about this team? They're just a mess offensively. Defensively, they should be ok (although not spectacular) and should be able to win a game or 2 solely off of that. But this team's offense has a case for the least talented in the league. We don't need an entire paragraph about how Mark Sanchez is ass. Their best WR is Santonio Holmes, who hasn't put up a 1000 yard season since his breakout year in 2009 and is coming off of foot surgery. Their projected starter at RB: Chris Ivory. Their offensive line isn't too terrible, but it won't matter, as the Jets will be unable to execute on offense and unable to sustain drives long enough to keep the team on the field, and as we all know, you have to score points to be able to win in this era. Rex Ryan is still a good coach but may ultimately become the scapegoat in order for this franchise to save face

30. Cleveland (3-13)

I know people are expecting more out of this team, but I'm not. Like the other teams ranked this low on the list, it's hard to put faith in their QB, Brandon Weeden. He had one of the more disappointing rookie seasons in recent memory, and Richardson was alright, but with other rookie running backs such as Alfred Morris and Doug Martin coming out of nowhere and putting up 1600 and 1400 yard seasons respectively, it certainly raises questions about his production level for next year. Greg Little certainly has talent, but seems to drop passes left and right, and there's no telling how this offense will fare under Norv Turner and his system. I don't expect the Browns to be anywhere other than the cellar of the AFC North

29. Oakland (4-12)

Everyone's been saying it, this team is the one of the least talented in the league all around. Their defense isn't going to get any better this year, although I don't see them allowing 443 points again. They should still be one of the worst defensive teams in the league. Also, what's up with Matt Flynn? Can somebody tell me why this guy gets signed for starter's money, keeps failing to impress at all in the preseason, and ends up losing his starting job to unproven QBs like Russell Wilson and Terrell Pryor. Though Pryor hasn't gained hold of the starting job yet, it's going to be a long season for Flynn without the #1 receiving target from last year, which says something about their WR corps since it's Derrius Heyward-Bey. Still, I don't think this team will be quite as bad as everyone is predicting them to be, I think they'll steal a game or 2 like they did back in 2009, when they were arguably the worst team in the league. Still, it's going to be a long ass rebuilding process. Imagine where the Raiders might be at if the Carson Palmer trade never happened...

28. Jacksonville (4-12)

Let's be honest here, the Jags defense isn't nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. The only reason they were as bad as they were last year is because the offense literally couldn't sustain a drive to keep them on the field last year. And with MJD coming back for a full season, the Jags should definitely improve from last year and could even double their win total entirely. Unfortunately, that's not saying much considering that they only won 2 games last year and they still have Blaine Gabbert behind center. Still, as much as people dislike Gabbert, I'm gonna be frank here, I think that Gabbert > Locker and he still has a better chance to be a good QB over the long term. Still, the odds that the Jags will be searching for a new signal caller in 2014 are high

Look for 3-4 more teams to be released tonight, followed by 3-4 more teams each day until the season starts

Edited by Mentch
  • Upvote 1

Great thread. I approve.

• Upvote 1

We really encourage people to post rankings and stuff, drum up some debate. But please update this thread as you go, like Razor is doing here: http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/66644-power-wankings/

If you make 32 different threads A. It's going to get annoying when people start discussing, and B. the mods are just going to merge them all anyway, so why not just make it easy on them :thumbup2:

We really encourage people to post rankings and stuff, drum up some debate. But please update this thread as you go, like Razor is doing here: http://www.thegridir...power-wankings/

If you make 32 different threads A. It's going to get annoying when people start discussing, and B. the mods are just going to merge them all anyway, so why not just make it easy on them :thumbup2:

I'm not making 32 different threads haha, just updating this one when as I go. This is gonna be the thread I use for all the power rankings that I create

Also, working on team #31 right now, expect a turnout shortly

Team #31 is up, NY Jets also at 3-13

Hopefully a mod can change the title, I was going to update it as I went to track my progress but unfortunately I didn't know we were unable to edit the title after we started the thread

Not having Oakland at 32 makes these rankings highly questionable. They basically start a UFL roster.

Not having Oakland at 32 makes these rankings highly questionable. They basically start a UFL roster.

Don't worry, they wont be ranked much higher lol. I have a bit of bias towards them since I'm a fan of them but I don't think they'll be quite as bad as everyone is predicting us to be. I don't have us winning more than 4-5 games though

Err, you have the Vikings listed as your team.

Err, you have the Vikings listed as your team.

I know, and it gets confusing trying to keep up with which teams I'm a fan of, but read my intro if you wanna find out more about me. Nobody can ever remember the teams that I'm a fan of lol, but just know that there's one from each conference in each sport and it goes like this:

NFL - 1A. Vikings 1B. Raiders

NBA - 1. Sonics 2. Knicks (though I didn't really become a "fan" of them until the Sonics left for OKC)

MLB - 1A. Mets 1B. Tigers

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

#29 is up, Raiders finally listed lol

Out of interest, can you elaborate on why you think they're going to be better than projected?

Out of interest, can you elaborate on why you think they're going to be better than projected?

It all depends on McFadden being healthy. But people forget that he averaged 5 yards a carry the one season he was fully healthy and everyone had him listed as a Top 5 RB for the first 6-7 weeks of 2011 before his damn injuries came back. He sucked last year but if he can return to form the Raiders could be better than expected. That's not saying much though. Like I said earlier, I have no problem with people picking us to be the worst team in the league, but I personally expect a little bit better, though this will still easily be a wasted year

I also don't see the defense being as bad as they were last year, though it'll still be terrible

It all depends on McFadden being healthy. But people forget that he averaged 5 yards a carry the one season he was fully healthy and everyone had him listed as a Top 5 RB for the first 6-7 weeks of 2011 before his damn injuries came back. He sucked last year but if he can return to form the Raiders could be better than expected. That's not saying much though. Like I said earlier, I have no problem with people picking us to be the worst team in the league, but I personally expect a little bit better, though this will still easily be a wasted year

I also don't see the defense being as bad as they were last year, though it'll still be terrible

I like some of the moves at LB. I think Sio Moore can potentially be a star as an attacking SOLB in a Von Miller type role. Burnett was a shrewd pickup. Branch is alright. Hayden will need to get good on the fly. The real issue is going to be pass rush. Lamarr Houston is a stud but he's miscast as an outside rusher. He needs to be at the 3 or 5 IMO.

But Jason Hunter, Pat Sims, Vance Walker, Nick Roach, Mike Jenkins, Tracy Porter, and possibly Charles Woodson simply aren't NFL caliber starters. Most defenses end up having to start one or two guys like that, but not 6 or 7.

• Upvote 1

Yea, there's no way that the Raiders aren't the worst team in the league IMO. And I've already said all I need to say about the Jets so I won't say anything about.

But I do think the Bills and Titans should be listed, I have them worse then teams that have already been listed.

Mike Jenkins, when healthy, is a pretty damn good corner. I wouldn't say that he "Quite simply isn't NFL starter quality."

Mike Jenkins, when healthy, is a pretty damn good corner. I wouldn't say that he "Quite simply isn't NFL starter quality."

He's been healthy enough to play a lot of bad football. One good season out of 5 does not a good starter make. He's the Dallas version of Antoine Cason. And if you think that's "pretty damn good" then I'd say you're in desperate need of seeing some good cornerback play. Hopefully Carr and Clairborne will remove the scales from your eyes.