BC

First Round Rookies

No no no.

The ROFL was at "I have been right about pretty much everything I have said."

I have, I said DRC would regain his probowl form, I said we would be just fine without our top center, I said ayers would replace dumervil with no problem and that we would survive without Von miller.

If anything Denver has exceeded my expectations of the team without some of our top players and if we get to 6-0 without miller we won't lose a game all season. I was laughed at all offseason on this board and right now I've been right

• Downvote 4

We still have tough games on our schedule. 16-0 would be nice, but I don't expect it come easily. Chiefs twice, Chargers twice, and the Patriots.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... us-week-3/

This article is from Pro Football Focus. Interesting that the bottom half of the round seems to be out-performing the top half. Those "safe" top-5 tackles are especially bad. Meanwhile, the "risky" pick of Ansah is doing quite well according to these metrics.

I realize that PFF does a lot to try to isolate what individual players contribute, but you can't entirely factor out the circumstances around players, players who go to bad teams are asked to do a lot more while the players at the end of the draft go to more complete teams and can just slide into a limited role which leads to a much higher probability of early success

For example, most of those "safe" top-5 tackles are probably playing next to shitty guards, meaning they have to compensate for what those guys aren't doing, or perhaps their team has shitty WRs that can't get open so their QB holds the ball too long, or they just have a shitty QB who holds the ball too long for no apparent reason, on the other hand (since you used him as an example) Ansah as a DE gets to play with a couple of the best DTs in the game, meaning opposing olines are focusing their efforts on the middle which makes the path to the QB and to generally being a disruptive DE a lot easier for him

Eric Fisher is still the biggest disappointment in KC since Tony Gonzalez said he wanted a trade.

Mingo has some work to do to be sure. I've liked how he has played so far as a rookie. He needs to put on some weight to get around some of the big tackles. His speed does him well, but he's often double teamed. A bullrush would be a nice addition to his arsenal.

Out of all the likely suspects to potentially be drafted at #11, there one was prospect who I was certain that I did NOT want. His name is D.J. Fluker. So far, he's made me look stupid and I am glad for that.

Hindsight: I put too much stock in one bad tape and didn't round out my view of him by looking at multiple games. Pretty common problem for me since I don't have the time nor the inclination to look at 4 or more games for every eligible prospect. His pass protection has been very good. When he blows it, he really blows it. But I would rather have a sack every so often and good protection otherwise, than constant nagging pressure.

His run blocking has started to pick up. I think by season's end he'll be a very complete right tackle. Nice pick.

Out of all the likely suspects to potentially be drafted at #11, there one was prospect who I was certain that I did NOT want. His name is D.J. Fluker. So far, he's made me look stupid and I am glad for that.

Hindsight: I put too much stock in one bad tape and didn't round out my view of him by looking at multiple games. Pretty common problem for me since I don't have the time nor the inclination to look at 4 or more games for every eligible prospect. His pass protection has been very good. When he blows it, he really blows it. But I would rather have a sack every so often and good protection otherwise, than constant nagging pressure.

His run blocking has started to pick up. I think by season's end he'll be a very complete right tackle. Nice pick.

Yeah that was him in college too actually. When he was on it, he was a serious force, but then he'd randomly just completely shit the bed and it was confusing. Like you said though, you can take that so long as that play doesn't end in a turnover via fumble or forced throw over consistent pressure.

It's also interesting seeing all the LT who were drafted and plugged in at RT (in comparison to Fluker who was a RT in college) struggling for the most part. Teams figured wrong in that it would be easy to flip and use their other leg to kick out and their other arm to punch, etc. Although apparently JAX had planned to move their OT to LT all along. Most of us figured the transition would be easy — just a mirror, but we were wrong. Joeckel did look really good against Robert Quinn in the time he was at LT before his ankle got destroyed though. Looked way more natural and in control. It'll take these kids a little bit to get used to the side switch.

It's going to be really funny if Fluker ends up having the best season out of all the rookie tackles. There's a ton of football left to be played, so we'll have to wait and see. At the moment, it's probably him and Bakhtiari playing the best.

The Ansah has shown some of his rawness on a couple of games now. When he engages the opponent he makes one move, if that fails he just starts chopping his feet and playing patty cake with the lineman.

But either way, he's been great for a rookie. Sam Martin's been balling though. For real.

Given the way PFF assesses pass rush, a -.2 grade is pretty impressive for a rookie IMO.

It's going to be really funny if Fluker ends up having the best season out of all the rookie tackles. There's a ton of football left to be played, so we'll have to wait and see. At the moment, it's probably him and Bakhtiari playing the best.

I will be the first to admit that I didn't like Fluker as a prospect in the least. He has proven me horribly wrong. Both he and Kyle Long are two OL prospects that I hoped Seattle would avoid (although it appears that Long was the player Seattle was targetting at #56). I'd say Long has had a better rookie year to date. But Fluker looks like an 8-10 year starter and he's getting better and better as the season goes on.

• Upvote 1

I will be the first to admit that I didn't like Fluker as a prospect in the least. He has proven me horribly wrong. Both he and Kyle Long are two OL prospects that I hoped Seattle would avoid (although it appears that Long was the player Seattle was targetting at #56). I'd say Long has had a better rookie year to date. But Fluker looks like an 8-10 year starter and he's getting better and better as the season goes on.

Those were my thoughts exactly pre-draft. I'd say that Long has had the higher highs and lower lows. Fluker has been steadier. But that's not going off of many games.