Vin

49ers @ Panthers

My football erection has long since disappeared.

I R So Disappoint.

Peyton-Manning-Thumbs-Up-Broncos.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I know the officiating in the first half was beyond questionable, but San Francisco's dominance in the second half makes it a non-issue, IMO.

Another NFCCG :0

You must be bored of them by now, Bay.

You must be bored of them by now, Bay.

Pretty much :p

I know the officiating in the first half was beyond questionable, but San Francisco's dominance in the second half makes it a non-issue, IMO.

I'm never gonna blame the officiating for a loss, but they flat out gave San Fran at least six points in this game.

Just a list of mistakes:

-the PF on Munnerlyn on what should have been 4th and 6. Because he shoved his head forward when he and Boldin already had their facemasks touching, you're gonna call a penalty? Seriously? Awful call.

-the PF on Mitchell for hitting Davis in the chest a half second after the ball hits the ground off a tipped ball, on what would have been 3rd and long. Mitchell doesn't know where the ball is, he is attempting to ensure Davis doesn't make a play for a tipped ball.

-Blatant defensive hold on the INT by Willis, (which was completely LaFell's fault for giving them a shot at it, though).

-12 men in the huddle on first and goal. One Niner bolts out of the huddle and runs to the sidelines, there were clearly 12 men. No call. (This was after the DPI by Florence set them up at the 1- which was clearly DPI, Florence has got to get his head around.)

-Not calling Boldin for a far more blatant headbutt on Munnerlyn than what Captain did to him. To be clear, I don't think either were fouls, but if you're gonna be ridiculous and call Munnerlynl for it, you have to be consistent and call Boldin for it as well.

-Calling Skuza for a PF for hitting Cam Newton head to head when Newton is clearly becoming a runner, and doing a 360 to boot. There is nothing Skuza could have done to avoid helmet to helmet contact. Should not have been a flag.

-This is just gut instinct, but there is no way you are going to convince me that with two top-5 defenses playing two bottom 10 offenses, that there was no offensive holding- by either team- for the entire game.

The officiating was absolutely horrible and for the sake of the championship game I hope Cheffers' squad doesn't get it.

That said, as I said, officials were not to blame for this loss. We had them. We absolutely dominated the first half and came away down 13-10. You want a person to blame for it, point the finger at the OC. Mike Shula is an utter idiot. As I had worried about and said, Shula being the OC was my primary concern and his complete and utter stupidity with playcalls inside the 5-yard line probably definitely cost us the game. Please get him out of here and get Chud back. You dont run up the gut on the teeth of the Niners defense when you have the ball inside the 3. Get Newton in space, let him try to make something happen.

Brandon LaFail giving yet another INT to a team was horrible too. The ball is going to hit Ginn in the chest and he reaches back and pops it up for Willis- however, I have to ask why two WRs are in the same area in the first place. Seems like that is again on the OC.

Steve Smith, despite him claiming to be fine, at least from what I saw, clearly was affected by the knee injury. He was fine, at first, but then after the halftime break, he played a lot less physical and just didn't look like Smitty.

And Carolina just abandoned any attempt to run the ball. Not having Stewart hurts, yes, but I don't know why they didn't give Kenjon Barner a few more looks. Why'd we draft him if we aren't going to use him?

Love how Ginn played. I hope he develops into a true #2 wideout. We need a big tall WR, and I hope we try to go get one. Smitty has one to two years left, at best, and he can't really carry the load the whole season.

Even with how badly we got beat in the second half, the game wasn't entirely over until Newton made his first and only big mistake, the 2nd pick. I still don't know who he was throwing to. There was no reason to try to force a throw that much, we had 4:30 left, two timeouts and were at the 30.

For all the talk about Crabtree, he pretty much had one big catch the whole game. Boldin stepped up in his stead.

Quentin Mikell was such an underrated player for us and after he went down, Robert Lester got picked on by Boldin. Our defense is great, but our secondary is very thin.

Grats to the Niners, but I really feel like we should have won that game. I hate feeling that way, felt it all too often the past three years. Rivera should stay, but Shula has got to go.

Go get Chud to be OC again, go get a big WR, and Carolina is a serious threat. Without that, our offense doesn't really scare anyone.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I honestly feel like the 49ers will take this one from the very first snap.

:49ers: 21

:panthers: 10

I hate to gloat because the only active Panthers fan on this site is pretty good shit, but I was pretty close, here.

The Panthers aren't ready, and I think that next season they're going to have a similar season to what the Lions had after their last playoff birth. They'll struggle, but unlike the Lions, I firmly believe that these cats will rebound and be significantly better two years from now.

I just don't think the defense is going to compensate for the offense again, especially without a great secondary, and especially if they lose Hardy and don't replace him with anybody worthwhile. I don't think the Panthers will make the necessary acquisitions to improve their offense. I hope they prove me wrong.

They need to draft a WR and potentially take some chances on upcoming free agents. They should make a serious offer for Eric Decker and if that doesn't pan out, they should pursue Hakeem Nicks, imo.

They can definitely improve their secondary, as well. Playing Brees and Ryan each twice a year for the foreseeable future isn't the greatest situation to be in.

Should have been 17-10 at the worst.

I honestly feel like the 49ers will take this one from the very first snap.

:49ers: 21

:panthers: 10

I hate to gloat because the only active Panthers fan on this site is pretty good shit, but I was pretty close, here.

The Panthers aren't ready, and I think that next season they're going to have a similar season to what the Lions had after their last playoff birth. They'll struggle, but unlike the Lions, I firmly believe that these cats will rebound and be significantly better two years from now.

I just don't think the defense is going to compensate for the offense again, especially without a great secondary, and especially if they lose Hardy and don't replace him with anybody worthwhile. I don't think the Panthers will make the necessary acquisitions to improve their offense. I hope they prove me wrong.

They need to draft a WR and potentially take some chances on upcoming free agents. They should make a serious offer for Eric Decker and if that doesn't pan out, they should pursue Hakeem Nicks, imo.

They can definitely improve their secondary, as well. Playing Brees and Ryan each twice a year for the foreseeable future isn't the greatest situation to be in.

Well. They sure as hell didn't take it from the first snap. Carolina dominated the first half, then got out-adjusted.

Curious if Rivera and Harbaugh's comments were actually true as far as what they did in halftime- Harbaugh wanted his players to amp it up even more and Rivera wanted them to scale it back, (likely because apparently Captain is not allowed to headbutt Anquan, but Anquan is allowed to headbutt Captain).

Because the Panthers sure as hell came out limp in the second half, while the Niners kept their physicality from the first half.

As far as Hardy goes, I think trading him to try to get a WR might be worth a shot. Sure it would be a bit of a downgrade on defense, but we need a better offense.

#1 priority as far as I am concerned is to go get Chud back. If we could get our 2011 and 2012 offense with our 2013 defense and a Cam Newton that doesn't turn the ball over nearly as much, that would be pretty awesome.

Edited by Thanatos19

The Panthers top target needs to be Eric Decker.

If the Broncos will give him straight up for Hardy, go get him.