Sign in to follow this  
Vin

lol2014QBs?

What a nightmare scenario.

According to the National Football Post, three general managers with a "serious interest" in this year's quarterback-draft class compare it to 2011's.

Per reporter Jason Cole, one GM added "except there’s no Cam Newton." Aside from Newton, the 2011 class included Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker and Christian Ponder. In other words, a bunch of flops. All four players went in the first 12 picks. Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater is generally considered the top talent in this year's class, followed in varying order by Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel, UCF's Blake Bortles and Fresno State's Derek Carr. With as many as seven QB-needy teams picking in the top 10 this May, reaches like 2011's are a definite possibility.

Obviously it's possible. Bortles reminds me of Locker a lot actually, although I think he has more consistent accuracy than Locker. Derek Carr is butt cheeks under pressure which is never good. Bridgewater and Manziel have a chance to be legit though in my opinion. But obviously they lack size and then there's questions about Manziel in the pocket and Bridgewater not being too quiet and not a big time vocal leader (/hand wank)

This article is acting like more than half the league didn't think Cam wasn't legit either though. Cam was getting picked apart by the media just like these guys. In turn they created the hype for a bum like Gabbert because he "looked like the prototype QB."

• Upvote 2

Newton (Good) Gabbert (Shit) Ponder (Bad) Locker (Broken/Average) Dalton (Eternally mediocre) Kaepernick (Passing RB) Mallett (Hype Machine) Stanzi (Couldn't beat out Brady Quinn) Taylor (Wildcat QB/Flacco's worst enemy) Yates (Houston's last resort)

Enderle (Still better than Gabbert)

McElroy (Arm of a pee-wee QB)

I see this class as this

Bridgewater (Good/above average) Manziel (Hype Machine) Bortles (Average with good physical ability) Carr (If Gabbert had a better arm) McCarron (Dalton 2.0) Garopollo (Shot in the dark) Mettenberger/Murray (Broken/Below average) Boyd (Backup/Why'd you stay another year?)

Lynch (Less of a QB than Josh Cribbs) Colter (Josh Cribbs)

Everyone else (Blaine Gabbert)

Watch out for Brock Jensen as an EXTREME sleeper in this QB class, but he's got size, arm strength, accuracy, and a winning pedigree. He won't get drafted, but if he gets invited to the right camp, he could end up as a real sleeper.

Ricky Stanzi is still gonna make it. Mark my words... Haha

Tbh I am glad that Marcus Mariota stayed the extra year at Oregon, with how average this class is (baring Bridgewater) he is going to be in demand next draft so long as he stays or goes above the level he has played at the last two years. Which I definitely see happening.

I think Mettenberger imo will actually be a good QB in the NFL once he has sat for a year or so and given a good line to offer protection.

I hate how people knock Bridgewater for being less vocal like that is the only way to lead a team. How about leading by example?

Still need to watch more cut-ups but this is my take on this class as of this moment:

Bridgewater (a more mobile/better in the pocket Matt Ryan)

Manziel (much more accurate and dynamic Doug Flutie)

Bortles (more accurate Jake Locker)

Carr (poor man's Jay Cutler with Gabbert like pocket poise)

Garoppolo (haven't watched enough for a comparison but he stays away from throwing between hashes which scares me)

Mettenberger (Byron Leftwich)

Fales (more athletic Chad Pennington)

McCarron (poor man's Andy Dalton)

The rest aren't really worth mentioning.