Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Brandon Browner v. The NFL

Suspended CB Brandon Browner plans to sue the NFL next week.

The NFL suspended Browner indefinitely in December for violating the league's substance abuse policy. Shortly after, his agent/lawyer Peter Schaffer said he was going to "sue the living daylights out of the league." That time has apparently come. Schaffer will ask the court to allow Browner to become a free agent on March 11, which would have happened had Browner not been suspended. Schaffer will also ask that Browner be allowed to practice and play until the lawsuit is resolved. Browner says the NFL continued to subject him to random drug testing even after he was cut by the Broncos in 2006 and went to the CFL. He also contends the NFLPA never notified him of the mounting penalties. There are too many details to fit into this space, but Browner is going to put up a fight. ~Per RotoWorld

Edited by ATL

Mr. Browner is gonna get pwnt.

You're still a member of the league whether you're on a team or not, and I don't believe there's anything stopping an NFL team from signing a CFLer at any point in the season.

I also love how he's basically saying, "Man, if I would've know the repercussions were going to be this bad I would've stopped doing the things that I already knew was against the rules."

jennifer-lawrence.gif

• Upvote 1

tumblr_lqptks839Q1r0ojhto1_500.gif

When has ignorance of the law (rules / regulations / etc) ever been a defense to break the law (rules / regulations / etc) ? Oh... right.

I had no idea you could still be randomly tested if you weren't on an NFL roster, though. That's kinda absurd, imo.

• Upvote 1

I had no idea you could still be randomly tested if you weren't on an NFL roster, though. That's kinda absurd, imo.

How so? They're still under the umbrella of the NFL even if they're not on a team (unless they file retirement papers). I guess you could say that your employer isn't able to drug test you if you were no longer working there, but the NFL isn't exactly your typical employer.

How so? They're still under the umbrella of the NFL even if they're not on a team (unless they file retirement papers). I guess you could say that your employer isn't able to drug test you if you were no longer working there, but the NFL isn't exactly your typical employer.

If I'm not making money, my supposed employer will not be drug testing me. I wouldn't have anything to fear, but I'm not submitting to a test when I ain't getting paychecks.

If I'm not making money, my supposed employer will not be drug testing me. I wouldn't have anything to fear, but I'm not submitting to a test when I ain't getting paychecks.

If you aren't going to try to get a job again, sure. If you are even thinking about going back, they absolutely should be able to test you. Especially if you've tested positive before. If you have no interest in playing for the NFL again, tell them the testers that. I highly doubt they could subject you to anything in that circumstance.

Good job caving, NFL.

Free agent CB Brandon Browner is expected to remain suspended for an unknown length of time to start the 2014 season.
Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, part of Browner's reinstatement settlement with the NFL included a 2014 suspension. He's already served more than 2 1/2 months of what was originally a one-year ban for marijuana news. Browner is our No. 11 corner available in free agency.
Source: ESPN.com

NFL suspended free agent CB Brandon Browner the first four weeks of the 2014 season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.
Browner will also forfeit an additional four weeks of game checks. Considering he was previously expected to be suspended most -- if not all -- of the 2014 season, it's a victory for Browner. He'll be allowed to participate in all offseason and preseason activities before returning in Week 5. Now that teams know the details, we would expect Browner to have a decent free-agent market. Mar 5 - 4:51 PM