Dutch

Rank these young QB's & next year predictions

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will perform the best in 2014?

• Russell Wilson
    • Andrew Luck
    • Cam Newton
    • Nick Foles
    • Colin Kaepernick
    • RG3
    • Ryan Tannehill
    • Andy Dalton (contract year)

I wish the Packers had a QB like Andrew Luck -- someone who constantly buries the team and occasionally carries them out of the very same hole he dug.

Oh... No I don't.

Luck is one knee injury away from being the 4th best QB of his draft class after being picked #1. You can talk about it being a great draft for QBs all you want, but that's pretty embarrassing in and of itself. The Colts flopped on that selection, and they will be regretting it for the rest of eternity.

Edited by Favre4Ever

You and I must be looking at a different Andrew Luck then because all the numbers I see point a picture of a below average QB.

There's nothing below average about 27 TDs, 9 ints, 3822 yards and 60% pass completion.

I wish the Packers had a QB like Andrew Luck -- someone who constantly buries the team and occasionally carries them out of the very same hole he dug.

Oh... No I don't.

Luck is one knee injury away from being the 4th best QB of his draft class after being picked #1. You can talk about it being a great draft for QBs all you want, but that's pretty embarrassing in and of itself. The Colts flopped on that selection, and they will be regretting it for the rest of eternity.

I've already addressed Luck supposedly digging his team into holes http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65876-lets-put-this-to-bed-give-me-andrew-luck/

For his rookie year anyway. The playoff game against the Chiefs is the only game where that truly applies.

As far as the Colts flopping that pick, I don't see how you can say that. Taking a 2-14 team (before he was drafted) to 11-5 two years in a row and getting into the playoffs off his arm carrying that team is far from flopping.

You and I must be looking at a different Andrew Luck then because all the numbers I see point a picture of a below average QB.

There's nothing below average about 27 TDs, 9 ints, 3822 yards and 60% pass completion.

The only stats that he had that that didn't rank either in the average category, or the bad category was his INTs and INT%. ANd that can be for the most part attributed to the change in philosophy from a vertical offense to a ultra conservative one.

Everything else about him last year for the most part was average - at best. Arguing otherwise would be throwing his ranking in all those passing categories out the window.

Oh... No I don't.

I've already addressed Luck supposedly digging his team into holes http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65876-lets-put-this-to-bed-give-me-andrew-luck/

For his rookie year anyway. The playoff game against the Chiefs is the only game where that truly applies.

As far as the Colts flopping that pick, I don't see how you can say that. Taking a 2-14 team (before he was drafted) to 11-5 two years in a row and getting into the playoffs off his arm carrying that team is far from flopping.

Lol. Like I said, on the top of the page. The overwhelming amount of excuses people use to glorify how bad Luck has been.

Dmac is not a through and through hater but when it comes to Andrew luck and Brandon Marshall a bigger hater there is not. :nope:

Bucman : (23 April 2014 - 09:53 AM) Luck has a lot of hype around him

Zack_of_Steel+ : (23 April 2014 - 09:54 AM) His stats have been shitty

Zack_of_Steel+ : (23 April 2014 - 09:56 AM) Low YPA, low Comp %, low TD% (TDs/attempts). His interception numbers are actually low for as many passes as he throws; he's just not an efficient QB.

Zack_of_Steel+ : (23 April 2014 - 09:57 AM) The only thing he has going for him is his 4th Quarter Comebacks and Game Winning Drives and his massive potential.

Zack_of_Steel+ : (23 April 2014 - 09:58 AM) I think he'll end up being good, but at the moment he's not a QB you point to for stats.

Zack_of_Steel+ : (23 April 2014 - 10:04 AM) Andrew Luck has more 4th Quarter Comebacks (4QC) and Game Winning Drives (GWD) than Big Ben, Brady, Joe Montana, and John Elway all did in their first two seasons as a starter.

Well seeing as CK is still developing and Alex Smith is a finished product, has been, and was inconsistent last year. Its pretty unreasonable to assume the CK we saw last year will be the same we'll see this year.

How does that same logic and reasoning not apply to Luck? He was more efficient this past season and threw half as many interceptions than in his rookie year. He also had the 20th rushing attack in the league which was very inefficient at getting first downs, played half the season without his star WR Reggie Wayne, beat the three best teams in the NFL, Broncos, 49ers, and Seahawks, had four fourth quarter and game winning drives this season alone while having an average defense. It's pretty clear to me which QB has more on his shoulders and has more impact on his team winning games.

Well seeing as CK is still developing and Alex Smith is a finished product, has been, and was inconsistent last year. Its pretty unreasonable to assume the CK we saw last year will be the same we'll see this year.

How does that same logic and reasoning not apply to Luck? He was more efficient this past season and threw half as many interceptions than in his rookie year. He also had the 20th rushing attack in the league which was very inefficient at getting first downs, played half the season without his star WR Reggie Wayne, beat the three best teams in the NFL, Broncos, 49ers, and Seahawks, had four fourth quarter and game winning drives this season alone while having an average defense. It's pretty clear to me which QB has more on his shoulders and has more impact on his team winning games.

I never said the logic didn't apply to Luck, nor did I ever say Luck wouldn't improve this year. Its the excuses some people try to make to justify why they think Luck has been the best of the bunch thus far that I've disputed.

You also argued that Luck's numbers have been below average when last year his numbers were anything but average. You can say though in his rookie year, his numbers in certain areas were below average such as his interceptions and completion percentage. However, no one can argue that his impact was great despite his inaccuracy (rookie year) showing resiliency coming back and recording 8 fourth quarter come backs and 11 game winning drives in 2 years which is the most in NFL history. Anyone that just looks at number or puts too much value into numbers is going to say what you're saying. But the most important thing is that no matter the deficit or mistakes that were made that your QB can still fight and find a way to win the game. That's the quality you want in your QB and what's more important then those overly treasured numbers.

Edited by dutchff7

You also argued that Luck's numbers have been below average when last year his numbers were anything but average. You can say however his numbers in certain areas were below average such as his interceptions and completion percentage but no one can argue that his impact was great despite his inaccuracy show resiliency coming back and recording 8 fourth quarter come backs and 11 game winning drives in 2 years which is the most in NFL history. Anyone that just looks at number or puts too much value into numbers is going to say what you're saying. But the most important thing is that no matter the deficit or mistakes that were made that your QB can still fight and find a way to win the game. That's the quality you want in your QB and what's more important then those overly treasured numbers.

4th qtr comebacks and GWDs carry almost no weight for me. How they play in crunch time, maybe. But I'm not gonna buy that he's been the best QB of the bunch just because he has a bajillion of either.

You also argued that Luck's numbers have been below average when last year his numbers were anything but average. You can say however his numbers in certain areas were below average such as his interceptions and completion percentage but no one can argue that his impact was great despite his inaccuracy show resiliency coming back and recording 8 fourth quarter come backs and 11 game winning drives in 2 years which is the most in NFL history. Anyone that just looks at number or puts too much value into numbers is going to say what you're saying. But the most important thing is that no matter the deficit or mistakes that were made that your QB can still fight and find a way to win the game. That's the quality you want in your QB and what's more important then those overly treasured numbers.

4th qtr comebacks and GWDs carry almost no weight for me. How they play in crunch time, maybe. But I'm not gonna buy that he's been the best QB of the bunch just because he has a bajillion of either.

So coming back and winning a game carries no weight for you? Game winning drives are one of the most exciting moments in football lol. Also, 4th quarter and game winning drives ARE crunch time. How is it not? It's a crucial part of the game when the window of opportunity is closing and the game is on the line. The QBs strap up and make great plays in the most critical part of the game (being clutch) with the odds are against them and they still succeed. It's actually a crunch mode a QB has to get in when he has to rally his team and score on multiple possessions to win the game. How is that not important lol? To each their own but I guess that explains why you're a numbers guy.

Edited by dutchff7

I remember when Bucs fan argued about how Freeman is so good because he has so many 4 th quarter comes back and GWD.

What's the point? We all know Foles is the best of the group.

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I remember when Bucs fan argued about how Freeman is so good because he has so many 4 th quarter comes back and GWD.

Good point lol. Freeman however got worse as each year passed while Luck is getting better.

Here are some notable new players these young QBs have to throw to:

Andy Dalton - James Wright WR (did I say notable?)

Andrew Luck - Donte Moncrief and Hakeem Nicks - Reggie Wayne, Hakeem Nicks, T.Y Hilton and Moncrief should be very fun to watch.

Cam Newton - Kelvin Benjamin - I was probably a little to harsh on this kid. I think he can turn into some good with Cam. Just glad the Eagles didn't get him. Oh yeah they old veterans in Jason Avant and Jerricho Cotchery too.

Ryan Tannehill - Jarvis Landry - I really like Landry. He's going to be like a super evolved form of Davone Bess and probably lead the Dolphins in receptions lol.

Nick Foles - Jordan Matthews and Josh Huff - My god... Foles has so many targets to throw the ball to this season. Maclin, Cooper, Ertz, Celek, Sproles, Mccoy, Matthews and Huff. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

RG3 - Desean Jackson and Ryan Grant - I can't wait to see how RG3 and Desean Jackson link up. Eagles vs Redskins games just got more exciting.

Colin Kaepernick - Stevie Johnson and Bruce Ellington - This is just unfair... Kaepernick has an unbelievable receiving arsenal at his disposal. Stevie Johnson, Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, Vernon Davis, and Bruce Ellington. He has no excuse not to do well in the passing game. He has everything he needs to succeed.

Russell Wilson - Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood.

Have these new additions change anyone's opinion of which QBs will perform the best? I still think it's between Luck and Foles. I think Chip's system may push Foles ahead but Luck is still the best QB out of the bunch for me. Kapernick's chances have incredibly increased but he has to show me he can be a consistent passer. If RG3 comes back healthy, I could see him do better but to a lesser degree than my top guys.

Edited by Dutch

So I guess this thread is pretty much consistent with the other thread in regards to Kaepernick's passing ability. He arguably has the best receiving group out of the bunch and didn't get a single vote lol.

My Current Rankings:

1. Luck- a reincarnation of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. This guy will give Aaron Rodgers a run for his money in a few years for the best qb in the league. Yeah he's that good.

2. Wilson- doesn't have to do as much as other quarterbacks, but he's clutch and is getting better and better each season. It's tough to know how good he would be without a great defense and running game. Still he is very productive with no name wide receivers.

3. RG3- a terrible 2013, but I think he will bounce back and have a great 2014. He has a new head coach who will take advantage of all the weapons they have. RG3's wide receivers could be mistaken for a track team.

4. Foles- He had a great season, but I want to see him play a whole season as the starter. Losing DeSean Jackson hurts because they loose a huge deep threat. That will put more attention on Shady and put more pressure on the entire offense. He should have a good season though because Chip Kelly knows what he's doing.

5. Kaepernick- He's one of the toughest qbs in the league to bring down and he has a great start to his career making the Super Bowl in his first season as a starter and the NFC Championship game last year. He will never be an elite qb, but does enough to make the 49ers a serious Super Bowl contender and the Seahawks biggest challenger in the NFC.

6. Cam- I only rank him this low because who is he going to throw the ball to besides Greg Olsen? Who do they have at wide receiver? I can't name anyone without looking it up. He'll do ok this season, but will suffer from a lack of talent on the outside.

7. Tannehill- throws too many interceptions, but should get better with time. He's still the best quarterback the Dolphins have had since Dan Marino.

8. Dalton- he should perform better especially with one of the best wide receivers in the league. He doesn't show up in the postseason and just isn't as talented as other qbs on this list. I still think he could be the Bengals franchise quarterback for years to come assuming he plays better in the postseason in the future.