Tridentdawgpound

2014 MLB Season Thread

Really sad about Gwynn passing away, easily my favorite player of all time. Only Ripken comes close. I remember building my backyard baseball teams around Tony when I was a little kid. RIP.

Gwynn will definitely be missed. He was the face of the Padres ever since the 80's and was a great all around baseball player. I don't ever remember hearing anyone ever talking bad about Tony Gwynn.

Tony Gwynn could have gone 0-for-1182 after his last AB...and been a career .300 hitter

Yu Dogshit is now 1-8 with a 4.93 ERA against the A's. :yao::megusta:

Braves no longer in first place (not surprised they have no consistent offence and aren't consistent either). Gattis still has his hit streak intact ---he sat last night.

TBH I was looking at some major league rosters....geez never really noticed it this bad before but I honestly don't see any absolutely GREAT teams. Giants and Athletics are very very good don't get me wrong but if you look at the rosters and stats for all the other teams they all have some issues. Some weaknesses out there so it seems like the vast majority of teams are stuck in mediocrity. It might make for decent ticket sales throughout the majors this year since most teams won't be totally out of it till the end but where is the great team that are solid from top to bottom? Looks like the Giants and A's are as close as we have right now.

The Royals got to 1st place, but can they stay there? I don't buy it just yet. Still think Detroit takes that division by 4-5 games. But the Royals are good enough to stay in it until the end. I'll at least give them that.

I am now back under the impression that the Cardinals are winning it all. This probably won't be the case tomorrow...

The Royals got to 1st place, but can they stay there? I don't buy it just yet. Still think Detroit takes that division by 4-5 games. But the Royals are good enough to stay in it until the end. I'll at least give them that.

The thing with the Royals is their pitching is absolutely amazing and the hitting sucked. They're finally starting to hit now.

I'd be a little worried if I was a Tigers fan. They can't just pound out runs like last year they've changed their team to a more "work for the runs" approach. And the pitching has been bad for a whole month now. Yeah eventually you expect some of the guys to wake up.

Yea, the Blue Jays had the opposite problem. They were the best lineup in baseball but their pitching kinda sucked. But now they are pitching a lot better too. Blue Jays are definitely going to the playoffs barring something horrible like a bunch of injuries.

LOL the Braves got sweeped by the Phillies who were in last place in Atlanta! I am beginning to wonder if they will even finish above .500.

Right now watching Gattis hit during his current streak is their biggest entertaining facet. Up to 17 games with homerun #16.

Nice to see Jake Arrieta throw the ball well. Always had the talent. Still lolCubs :p:D

This month should really tell the tale on the Braves. This is a big road trip and the four game set against the Nats could actually come close to breaking them (I feel they are at a critical junction in other words). Hopefully they will do something good and surprise me.

Jason Grilli is dog shit. Velocity way down, walks way up, strikeouts way down. His career is over. DFA time.

Good news: Beat Washington

Bad news: Gavin Floyd is done

I don't know much about broken elbows. I do know that shattering a knee cap was a pain in the butt. Never recovered my range at SS and couldn't grab the rim anymore (only 5 foot 10). I know it didn't LOOK good. If a broken elbow is similar I would think it might terribly affect his range and mobility of his arm even for a few years.

Gattis did extend his hit streak to 18 games. From my understanding that is far and away the longest ever for an Atlanta Braves catcher. Hope he keeps it up with several more wins during the streak too.

Edited by southgadawg

Even though Kimbrel blew the save in the 9th the Braves eeked out a win in Washington against the Nats in the 13th. El Oso Blanco drove in the go-ahead run. Gattis just keeps hitting with streak up to 19 games now.

I know that many 'experts' felt that Gattis wouldn't hit much better than .250 in the bigs but he had over a .300 career average in what little time he spent in the minors. He has made adjustments and appears to be a good student of the game (both with the bat and behind the plate). From my understanding after tonight's game this season he has caught more innings than any other season in pro ball for him. Still learning but I like his progress so far.

I enjoy the Nationals choking on their own dicks.

And lolStrasburg

We've lost the last three games to the Mets and Phillies. We are fucking dog shit.

Epic come back from the Blue Jays against the Reds, 0-8 down to come back and win 14-9. Thee hitting is beast and the pitching has woken up. Blue Jays really look good, other thing I like is how well Reyes fits in with Jays.

Nats beat the Braves to retake first place. Fister and Teheran both pitched well but Teheran got frustrated and committed a critical balk when he and Gattis couldn't get on the same page signalwise. I am quite sure that a small part of the issue was Gattis not having as much experience (perhaps a meeting on the mound between them would had calmed him down) but Teheran in an interview in the AJC clearly placed the blame on himself.

http://www.ajc.com/videos/news/teheran-on-frustrating-night-including-balk/vCfpGS/

http://www.ajc.com/videos/news/fredi-g-on-braves-loss-and-teheran-showing/vCfpLy/

IMHO the key at-bat for the Braves in the ball game actually came in the first inning. With only 1 out B.J. was at third and Freeman at first. Gattis hit a weak line-drive to the secondbaseman and afterwards Justin made an out as well. The Braves never really challenged for a run again.

Gattis did extend his hit streak to 20 games however. The first time someone who had caught every game of their streak had reached that long a hitting streak since Jason Kendall in 2004. It is currently the longest streak in the majors but probably won't receive much national attention until after it passes 25 and definitely if by some miracle it hits 30. On a side note I don't expect Gattis to start today (he has caught 4 in a row and Gonzalez normally sits him on a day game after a night game).

Jays are already fading. 4-11 since June 7th. :yao:

Looking forward to the A's whooping the ever living dog shit out of them in a couple weeks, too. :smug:

Madison Bumgarner :happy: