Phins4life

Research Paper Around the Corner

All, I'm currently in an Intro to World Religions course, and one of the graded items for an upcoming research paper is an interview with members of the faiths being compared and contrasted. Right now I'm looking at Christianity and Hinduism/Buddhism. At this time, I have no idea what I plan to ask since I'm still ironing out my thesis, but If you follow one of these faiths and are interested in helping out, please PM me and let me know. Thanks.

-Phins

I was a roman catholic for years. If you need an opinion of a former member of the faith, you can hit me up.

When you get to Agnostic theism, I'm your man.

Edited by FartWaffles

Just a quick update: I've decided that I'll be comparing and contrasting the roles of the higher power(s) and the nature of the afterlife within Christianity and Buddhism. Once I have a list of questions regarding each topic, I'll let you guys know.

All, I made some changes again to the selected topics, but not the 2 religions (Buddhism and Christianity). The following interview questions are to give me an idea of the different ways people adhere to and integrate the teachings of their respective religions into their daily lives. So if you are a Buddhist or Christian (this can include ANY demoniation or variation of either one) and would like to participate, please take the time to answer the questions and send them to me in a PM. I have no desire to make your personal religious opinions public unless you desire to do so by placing them within this thread. I will also need your first name (in order to quote your answer in the research paper) but nothing beyond that.

IMPORTANT: The answers you provide will be used as reference material in a neutral bias research paper intended to compare and contrast 2 elements of Christianity and Buddhism: the historical background of the teachers themselves and their core ethical teachings.
The answers will not be altered in any way, or deliberately placed into a context that would intentionally skew the original meaning. If there are one or more questions you do not wish to answer, please feel free to skip them. This is an attempt to learn how others use religion in their daily lives...not to put people in an uncomfortable position. Thank you for your participation.
1. How familiar are you with the historical background of Jesus of Nazareth/the Buddha? In your opinion, how important is it to have a basic understanding of their historical background as it pertains to how you participate in your belief system?
2. How often do you engage in daily spiritual reflection/prayer/meditation or any other personal or formal ritual commonly associated with your belief system? How important is this to your own spiritual fulfillment?
3. Do you engage in any form of group worship? How important is this to your own spiritual fulfillment?
4. What importance do you place on any sacred texts associated with your belief system? How familiar are you with these texts and the history behind them? In regards to interpretation, do you find yourself more in line with a literal or liberal understanding of the writings?
5. In what ways do you integrate the subject matter from such teachings as Jesus of Nazareth's Sermon on the Mount (i.e. his re-interpretation of some of the Ten Commandments) or the Buddha's Four Noble Truths/Eightfold Path into your daily life? What other teachings do you follow, if any?
6. How applicable do you think the Parables of Jesus or the Buddhist Jataka tales are in modern society compared to the eras in which they were originally told?
7. All things considered, how much does formal religious doctrine (if any exists within your belief system) affect you on a personal level? Do you find it more effective or intrusive as it pertains to your own spiritual growth? Do you feel it inhibits or improves your relationship with your deity or deities, or does it have no impact?
8. How are your views on hotly debated subjects such as homosexual equality, abortion, euthanasia, stem cell research, etc. affected by your interpretation of your belief system's doctrine, writings, and other teachings as an ethical guide? Specifics
are not necessary, but are welcome if you choose to provide them.