Maverick

Official Soccer Thread

here's the ref's explanation FWIW: “The defender’s arm was in a natural position and because of the short distance, it was also no time to react,” Geiger said. “Case of ball to hand.”

I think it was the right call, Franklin had his hand down near his side and was about two feet away from Jones when he kicked the ball, definitely no time to get his hand out of the way, if that's a PK then every forward would just kick the ball at a defender's hand as soon as they get in the box, which would not be hard for most professional soccer players in close quarters

comparing it to the earlier call against New England, their defender had his arm extended much further and was also a lot further from where the ball was released, he should have been able to get his hand out of the way

Also, I can understand Jones' frustration, but he has to handle himself better than that, I'm interested to see how long he gets suspended, Espindola was out the first six games of this season for shoving a ref in last year's playoffs so I'd expect something similar

Yeah, I've seen some replays and I'll withdraw my inital thought that it was a "definite" handball. The call could have gone either way. Looks like we meet in the playoffs again, oochymp. NYRB vs DC is always fun especially in the playoffs. Predictions?

I believe the current holders of the Supporters Shield will win. :cigar:

we're gonna trash the Metroscum, won't even be close, you can't get past Bill :smug:

all trash talk aside, should be good, I'm probably going to be going up for the game in DC on Sunday

so Boswell is suspended (apparently he kneed Agudelo in the back of the thigh away from the ball, all the camera caught was Agudelo writhing on the ground) and Pontius didn't practice because of a hammy issue, Sunday could be rough

Edited by oochymp

Liverpool beat Chelsea 3-1

Red Bulls beat DC 1-0 first leg of the playoffs. Don't see you getting by us now. CYA UNITED

This weekend was great for soccer. :cigar:

Red Bulls beat DC 1-0 first leg of the playoffs. Don't see you getting by us now. CYA UNITED

it's gonna be tough, but I wouldn't be shocked, we've shown a lot of resilience this year and we'll have Boswell back next week

Spurs about to get destroyed today Campin... :smug:

Sike

:mjtears:

• Upvote 1

it's gonna be tough, but I wouldn't be shocked, we've shown a lot of resilience this year and we'll have Boswell back next week

It's not happening. Your strategy in the first leg was to sit back and play it safe, but you won't be able to do that next weekend. Mark me down for a 2-0 Red Bulls victory.

It's not happening. Your strategy in the first leg was to sit back and play it safe, but you won't be able to do that next weekend. Mark me down for a 2-0 Red Bulls victory.

I really didn't feel like we sat back that much, we just couldn't finish, and I guarantee you if we had Boswell in McCarty wouldn't have gotten behind the defense on that set piece

lol Chelsea

• Upvote 1

I really didn't feel like we sat back that much, we just couldn't finish, and I guarantee you if we had Boswell in McCarty wouldn't have gotten behind the defense on that set piece

lol the what if game...

2mhslea.jpg

You completed 54.5% of your passes. That's pretty shocking.

ETA - Oh and on the goal I thought Hamid should have came out for that ball.

Bit of Coutinho magic from the weekend:

https://vine.co/v/e3MJvtwxQxj

Edited by Maverick

lol the what if game...

2mhslea.jpg

You completed 54.5% of your passes. That's pretty shocking.

ETA - Oh and on the goal I thought Hamid should have came out for that ball.

Bit of Coutinho magic from the weekend:

https://vine.co/v/e3MJvtwxQxj

that statline definitely tells a different story, I was at the stadium so I wasn't keeping track of numbers, but it did not feel that one sided, we just felt a little off, part of that might have been that it was the third game in a week but that's what we get for not securing one of the top two seeds

that said, we seem to be in a pattern of alternating good games and bad games, Sunday was in the pattern as a bad game so if we can keep it going and turn in a decent performance on Sunday I like our chances, uphill battle for sure, but I'm definitely not counting us out

Spurs about to get destroyed today Campin... :smug:

Sike

:mjtears:

Spurs are actually good this year, they actually create multiple chances and defend pretty well :wut: I don't know how to feel, they're the youngest starting XI in the BPL too. No doubt Real Madrid and other big clubs like United etc. will swoop in and steal our guys like always. :sigh:

UnfitMindlessArcticseal.gif

So happy Moose is healthy again he's so strong on the ball and clever in his dribble, so fun to watch and the best news yet is SON is coming back soon as he's apparently in the South Korean national team lineup. Just in time for a big Europa match and then the North London Derby. He's actually Spurs best attacking player IMO, he makes the Spurs a legit scare to defend with him added in.

And of course ole 'Arry fresh off his hat-trick letting the doubters know no one year wonder here, Lamela with the beauty first touch pass, Eriksen forcing his way around the defender to make it possible

BackLivelyIlsamochadegu.gif

inb4soulcrushingdefeattoarsenal

^Spurs definitely have a good team this year. Really curious to see where they end up.

that statline definitely tells a different story, I was at the stadium so I wasn't keeping track of numbers, but it did not feel that one sided, we just felt a little off, part of that might have been that it was the third game in a week but that's what we get for not securing one of the top two seeds

that said, we seem to be in a pattern of alternating good games and bad games, Sunday was in the pattern as a bad game so if we can keep it going and turn in a decent performance on Sunday I like our chances, uphill battle for sure, but I'm definitely not counting us out

Well the away goals rule could help you. You net the first goal and that blows the game wide open. It'll be an entertaining game I'm sure. Second legs usually are.

Yeah Campin, Clark hardly ever gets beat like that. Guzan is such a shitty goalie though should've never let that in. We are such a mess, play all of the wrong players. Hopefully our new manager knows what he is doing.

Relegation would be brutal, idk what I'd do.

Yeah Campin, Clark hardly ever gets beat like that. Guzan is such a shitty goalie though should've never let that in. We are such a mess, play all of the wrong players. Hopefully our new manager knows what he is doing.

Relegation would be brutal, idk what I'd do.

Yep, he 5-holed him :wut:

Edited by CampinWithNoPersonalSpace

oochymp :smug:

Good series, my friend. Both teams had a couple opportunities but the better team advanced. I was at the game. Pretty good atmosphere for RBA especially since the Jets were playing at home at the same time.

On to Columbus!

ETA - Trying to upload a pic from the game but it keeps showing a car for some reason lol

Edited by Maverick

yeah, I wish I could say I was surprised but we've been playing like shit for the past two months, I just hope we don't lose Hamid to Europe this offseason

It's sad seeing Benteke sitting on Liverpool's bench while we get absolutely demolished by Everton. Nice win for your boys, Mav...congrats.

El Clasico: Awesome win from Barca, Real is just too selfish of a team.

• Upvote 1

Palace had their biggest blowout win in their Premiership history yesterday. :rock:

• Upvote 1