Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Jadeveon Clowney "looks spectacular" in rehab

Per Rotoworld.com:

Texans OLB Jadeveon Clowney has a torn lateral meniscus and could miss 4-6 weeks.
The No. 1 overall pick's rookie season is off to a frustrating start. It sounds like he'll undergo a scope Monday and also may have sprained his MCL. Whitney Mercilus will take Clowney's spot in the starting lineup. Sep 7 - 7:45 PM

Tough break for my Texans. I'm just hoping Clowney isn't one of those guys with a bad case of "Bob Sanders syndrome." He's had multiple nagging injuries since before he was even drafted...

Per Rotoworld.com:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Texans OLB Jadeveon Clowney (injured reserve, knee) underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee Monday and will be sidelined nine months.
It's one of the worst surgeries an NFL player can undergo. What Clowney does have going for him, though, is his youth. He'll turn 22 in February. But setbacks are common following microfracture surgery, and it's been known to derail careers. Eagles OLB Brandon Graham underwent microfracture surgery as a 22-year-old in December 2010 and wasn't back in his normal role until Week 1 of 2012. It's a real possibility Clowney misses the majority, or all, of the 2015 season. He'll be a candidate for reserve/PUP in August. Dec 9 - 8:32 PM

Guest Phailadelphia

Microfracture surgery? He'll be out of the league in 3 years or less. Poor guy. Sucks for us too. He probably would've been something special to watch if not for the injuries.

The consensus #1 draft pick from the 2014 draft has been diagnosed with a micro-fracture injury to his knee.

He will be out for at least 9 months and that type of injury is a dicey one for athletes of any stripe.

Most do not recover sufficiently well for a NFL career but several notables have and went on to HoF careers.

There is a chance he won't play next season either.

Such a shame for the young man - so much potential and his dreams of football fame must be melting away.

Let's hope he makes a successful comeback and has a great career.

Texans lost RT 3rd round pick (2012) Brennan Williams to a similar injury last season.

Edited by Wattafan

Guest Phailadelphia

What players had microfracture surgery early in their career and went on to the HoF? Genuinely curious here. I tried to think of some yesterday and I couldn't.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2007/microfracture-nfl

interesting read, a few names they mentioned: Dan Marino apparently had microfracture surgery in 1986, three years into his career, Rod Woodson had microfracture surgery in 1991, played for another 13 years, and Bruce Smith had microfracture surgery in 1997 at the age of 34, he played six more seasons and made one more pro bowl

Per Rotoworld.com:

Texans GM Rick Smith said he's hopeful OLB Jadeveon Clowney (knee surgery) will be ready for Week 1.
Clowney underwent microfracture surgery on Dec. 8. The recovery process is going well and he's expected to make a full recovery, but the Texans certainly won't rush him. The No. 1 overall pick in last year's draft had zero sacks in four games as a rookie. Feb 19 - 12:12 PM
NFL draft insider Tony Pauline has heard from a "number of people" that there is "serious concern" about Texans OLB Jadeveon Clowney's surgically repaired knee.
Pauline cites "numerous sources, including those close to the Texans" when cautioning to "not expect much" from Clowney in 2015. "He may struggle to ever regain full health from the microfracture surgery," Pauline writes. As of late January, Clowney could bear no weight on his knee. He also had the knee scoped before his microfracture, in addition to sports hernia surgery last June. Clowney appeared in only four games as a rookie. Feb 19 - 1:21 PM

I basically see it as Clowney more than likely won't contribute at all in 2015, and would be fortunate for any production from him at all. I hope the Texans share my pessimism, because they need to approach this draft and the future as if Clowney isn't even on the team. Anything he does contribute is just a bonus IMO.

Edited by FartWaffles

http://m.houstontexans.com/s/30862/260?itemPos=2&itemUri=2084919789%2F143113149141246125111414681115

Jadeveon Clowney rehab "on the right track"

Drew Dougherty

On a daily basis, multiple times per day, Bill O'Brien is asked one common question.

"How's Jadeveon Clowney doing?"

That question comes from a wide range of folks he encounters. But it always comes from O'Brien's 10-year old son, Michael.

"Every night when I get home, he asks me how Clowney's doing," O'Brien said in a recent season ticket holder Town Hall conference call. "This is probably the question that I get asked the most."

The first overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft is on the rehab trail after a December microfracture surgery on his right knee. According to O'Brien, the outside linebacker's making solid progress.

"I've been impressed with the way JD's been working," O'Brien said. "He's been out there. He's in early. He's rehabbing. But he's also being able to take part in some of the things that we do in the weight room. He's not able to do all of the things that we do on the field just yet, because of his rehab. But he's on the right track."

After he was selected in the Draft last May, Clowney encountered bad luck with his health.

He underwent surgery for a sports hernia last spring. In August he suffered a concussion during a training camp practice at Denver. Clowney played the first half of the season opener against Washington before exiting with a meniscus injury that required a September surgery. A three-game stint in November followed, and he was placed on the injured reserve because of the microfracture surgery following the Week 12 loss to Cincinnati.

"The key with JD is gonna be, once he's cleared, then he's got to go do it," O'Brien said. "He's a good football player. He's an instinctive player. He understands what we're trying to do in our defense."

O'Brien and the Texans begin OTAs on Tuesday, May 26 at the Houston Methodist Training Center.

Texans would be fools to try and rush Clowney back onto the field. I'd rather have the guy in a year in a half than not at all.

As we careen towards training camp the health of certain players will come into a clearer focus.

According to Houston Texans team physician, Dr. Walt Lowe, there is reason for optimism aboutJadeveon Clowney.

"looks spectacular," seven months removed from microfracture surgery. The doctor added there is no hard timetable for Clowney's return.

The Texans previously said they plan to ease the second-year player back into action when he is ready, but are hopeful for his availability Week 1.

Clowney played in just four games as a rookie, compiling seven tackles in a year marred by injury.

The No. 1 overall pick in 2014 suffered a right meniscus tear in the Texans' season opener and underwent arthroscopic knee surgery the next day. After attempts to return were stymied he underwent microfracture surgery in December.

"The real goal in the end is to have him be who he was before he got hurt," Lowe said, noting that the blow-flow restriction therapy the Texans used helped Clowney retain much of the girth in his quad, which normally withers after surgery.

Clowney entered the NFL as the most-hyped defensive prospect in a generation. Alongside J.J. Watt, Clowney's athleticism and pass-rush ability could provide the Texans with as dominant front in the NFL if is he's able to return healthy.

Even with Lowe's optimism that's still one Bunyanesque if.

Been hearing so many positive stories on Clowney's rehab, but I'm still taking the, "believe it when I see it" approach.

• Upvote 1

Been hearing so many positive stories on Clowney's rehab, but I'm still taking the, "believe it when I see it" approach.

Yeah I'm kind of taking the same approach, but I really hope Clowney lives up to the hype. Houston will be so fun to watch with him and Watt out there terrorizing opposing offenses.

It sucks to see any player struggle through nagging injuries but especially one that is drafted high with so much potential. I'm hoping to see him on the field healthy and to see him Watt and Wilfork on that nasty d-line.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8375/jadeveon-clowney

Texans activated OLB Jadeveon Clowney (knee) from the active/PUP list.

The move was made on Monday when Clowney returned to individual drills. Coach Bill O'Brien believes Clowney has looked better as the week has worn on. "I think its been three days in a row now which is good, and do a little bit more tomorrow, and then well evaluate him at the end of the week. But so far, so good." Clowney remains doubtful for the preseason, and questionable for Week 1.

:megusta: Just take it nice and slow.

This is excellent news. Hopefully they remain patient and work him in slowly with his long term health/livelihood in view.

If the Texans play this right...which I think they are...

Clowns comes into the season with a limited role and down the stretch he starts hitting his highest form just in time for a Texans playoff run at he WC spot. The Texans could very well have the best defense in the NFL if Watt, Cushing, Wilfork, and Clowney avoid major injury.

Could be a special season in Houston and I'd love for them to give the Colts a run for their money.

• Upvote 1

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8375/jadeveon-clowney

Texans coach Bill O'Brien is unsure if Jadeveon Clowney (knee) will be on a snap count in the opener.

The implication being, not only will Clowney be active, he could be full steam. It's the best-case scenario for Clowney after he was held out of practice until August 20. Ultimately, a snap count is likely, but Clowney's recovery appears to be exceeding the Texans' expectations. If Clowney can simply resemble the form that made him the top pick of last year's draft, the Texans are going to have one of the league's most terrifying pass rushing duos.

The paranoid fan in me still wants JD to be on a pitch count early on, but regardless opposing o-linemen are gonna need to...

34768.jpg

I would say that Clowney is looking rather good. Texans fans should be excited.