Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Greg Jennings and Karma

I was wandering aimlessly around the internet when I found this article from the Star Tribune.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/278092991.html

Glad I finally see people in Minnesota understand who Greg Jennings really is as a person and as a player. A spineless diva.

Greg turning down the Packers contract offer was the biggest blessing. He valued himself too much and now the Packers are paying a better WR (Nelson) the same money to be a Top 5 WR that Greg is getting paid to be a Top 100ish WR in Minnesota.

Look at the way he left, how he left, and what he has done since. We, the fanbase of the Packers, gave him EVERYTHING, and he has the nerve to exit the way he did?

It's totally irrelevant how adorable his family is or has always been... That hasn't changed and won't. Greg Jennings being a complete fake and putting on the facade of a team player for so many years is what changed... I always felt blessed to have him because he was a quiet guy who worked hard .. He was a family man and a WR that didn't carry the diva role. He tasted success and wanted to be the true and uncontested #1 and he wanted to get overpaid while doing it. His demeanor changed completely. He was no longer the quiet non-diva... He was the whiney, "I need the spotlight", throw your teammates under the bus diva WR that he always wanted to be.

He was one of my favorite players on the team, a role model, and an exceptional human being inside and out.... Before the fame and thought of a mega contract got to his head.

And that's all BEFORE he signed with the Vikings. When I refer to Greg Jennings as a traitor, it isn't because he signed with a rival... It's because he fooled me into thinking he was something he was not As a fan. He put a blindfold on me, told me to trust him and then he stabbed me square in the back.

It's one of the most dire betrayals in my short 24 year fandom (and life) following the Green Bay Packers.

I would mention the likes of Javon Walker and the potential he had to do great things here... But Javon never really cared about anyone else but him. He was always that diva type and didn't try fooling the fanbase.

Much like Javon though, Greg's career was altered in a severe way when he left Green Bay. He will never meet the potential of his skills, he will never truly be the best he could have been... And he knows that. He's okay with that... And I don't want a player on my team who is okay with that reality.

• Upvote 1

I've known he was a silent diva as soon as he started half-assing routes and mumbling things like "Why did I come here?" any time the cameras would catch him.

At the same time, he does do things as a leader. As soon as Norv's offense was implemented, he came out and said, "We all need to run routes like we're the hot read to open it up for whoever is supposed to get the ball." The guy is kind of back and forth.

Nevertheless, as soon as Christian suited up last week, Greg didn't even bother trying. Some "leader."

I was wandering aimlessly around the internet when I found this article from the Star Tribune.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/278092991.html

Glad I finally see people in Minnesota understand who Greg Jennings really is as a person and as a player. A spineless diva.

Greg turning down the Packers contract offer was the biggest blessing. He valued himself too much and now the Packers are paying a better WR (Nelson) the same money to be a Top 5 WR that Greg is getting paid to be a Top 100ish WR in Minnesota.

Look at the way he left, how he left, and what he has done since. We, the fanbase of the Packers, gave him EVERYTHING, and he has the nerve to exit the way he did?

It's totally irrelevant how adorable his family is or has always been... That hasn't changed and won't. Greg Jennings being a complete fake and putting on the facade of a team player for so many years is what changed... I always felt blessed to have him because he was a quiet guy who worked hard .. He was a family man and a WR that didn't carry the diva role. He tasted success and wanted to be the true and uncontested #1 and he wanted to get overpaid while doing it. His demeanor changed completely. He was no longer the quiet non-diva... He was the whiney, "I need the spotlight", throw your teammates under the bus diva WR that he always wanted to be.

He was one of my favorite players on the team, a role model, and an exceptional human being inside and out.... Before the fame and thought of a mega contract got to his head.

And that's all BEFORE he signed with the Vikings. When I refer to Greg Jennings as a traitor, it isn't because he signed with a rival... It's because he fooled me into thinking he was something he was not As a fan. He put a blindfold on me, told me to trust him and then he stabbed me square in the back.

It's one of the most dire betrayals in my short 24 year fandom (and life) following the Green Bay Packers.

I would mention the likes of Javon Walker and the potential he had to do great things here... But Javon never really cared about anyone else but him. He was always that diva type and didn't try fooling the fanbase.

Much like Javon though, Greg's career was altered in a severe way when he left Green Bay. He will never meet the potential of his skills, he will never truly be the best he could have been... And he knows that. He's okay with that... And I don't want a player on my team who is okay with that reality.

Aren't you being a bit overly dramatic? It's just a game, dude. He went to another team a couple years ago. I don't mean to single you out when I say this cuz I know a lot of people who do this, but I don't understand why people cling to players like this in such a way. Why do we care about what happens to them after they leave the team? (with the exception of our favorite players that we continue to be fans of).

As far as the first bolded part, wouldn't you want to be #1? Idk what you do for a career, but would you not want to be paid as much as you think you can earn? So he overvalued himself, big deal - it happens all the time in all sorts of fields of work.

I agree that he has changed since he was with us. When he was here he was my favorite player, and fans around the league regarded him as a Top 10 receiver. Now he's top 50 or so, and he seems like a jerk (though I don't pay attention anymore). But I'm sure there's more than "he's always been a phony" to it. But on the same note I don't think it's something to worry about anymore. Idk where I'm really going with this and I gtg to work now but... yeah it just really interests and confuses me (your purpose of making this thread, that is).

Because it's commentary from a Minnesota newspaper recognizing behavior of one of their highest paid players. It's very relevant to the NFC North forum.. Kind of the whole purpose of it, actually. My own commentary was merely connecting dots, and recognizing patterns in his behavior.

Sounds like you two were involved in a nasty break up or something lol. There's a guy like Greg Jennings on every team. Football teams have a lot of voices in the locker room. A lot of guys try to step up and be leaders. A lot of guys want to be the guy. In the back yard we're always catching the game winner with a couple seconds left on the clock, it's just that when with some people when things don't go their way they go from being a leader to a whiner. He's probably a guy that has a lot of confidence and high expectations of himself, but is in denial of the fact that he just simply isn't that good and never has been so there has to be somebody else to blame right? I imagine it has to be pretty hard to be in the NFL and not have an enormous ego. It takes an incredible belief in yourself to even make it to the NFL, so it's not surprising that there are diva's. Most guys are just smart enough to keep their mouths shut and tell the media and the like what they want to hear. Being a hater is fun though, hell it's almost as fun as rooting for your team is lol, so fuck Jennings, he's a bitch.

Jennings can’t throw Jennings the ball. Is that the gist?

The problem with that theory is that if Jennings played quarterback, he too would look to throw to Jarius Wright.

The writer saved the best line for last. I literally lol'd at that when I read it.

All jokes aside though, Jennings is still pretty good. He just went the "business" route and took his money up front. If he would have stayed in GB, he'd clearly experience more success, but no matter what he did he'd be second fiddle in the receiving core and further down the list in the ultimate pecking order, creating an overall condition of butt-hurt and self-doubt. At least in Minnesota there's so little talent that he can actually legitimately consider himself one of the best players on the team and point fingers.

I guess it's a pretty telling commentary though that after saying "All jokes aside" that's what I came up with.

Because it's commentary from a Minnesota newspaper recognizing behavior of one of their highest paid players. It's very relevant to the NFC North forum.. Kind of the whole purpose of it, actually. My own commentary was merely connecting dots, and recognizing patterns in his behavior.

I guess I just get the vibe that this was because you want to feel some type of closure for what happened between Jennings and the team. Kind of like what Sean said it reads like a messy breakup. The way you say some things makes it seem like you considered what Jennings did a personal attack on yourself. I guess that's what I was trying to say yesterday. I don't understand why you feel that way.

And to disagree with Sean, Jennings was a pretty good receiver when he was with us. He might not be anymore (hard to tell with the lack of offensive talent aside from Peterson) but to say he never was a good receiver is pretty strange. When he was on the team he was our go-to-guy for big time plays, not Nelson, Driver, Finley, Jones, Cobb, or anybody else.