Cherry

Draft Breakdown 2015 draft

We need to actually have a thread which can be used to study players and give them grades. Therefore, I have made this thread and will add onto it continually as the season progresses.

Without further delay, my draft grades and breakdown.

Landon Collins

Safety

Alabama

Ole Miss

- Poor tackling technique

- Dropped his ass as the ball carrier came his way, which made him lose all momentum and tackling force.

- Pivoted poorly against receivers running deep routes

- Looked all-around like he was doing clean-up duty, not going for the play. If it was intentional, not an issue, but I don't know.

- Seemed to wait for the game to come to him, and made weak tackles deep down the field. Never saw him go up to make a hit. Never saw him transition to go get involved.

Really made me start to question why I was initially so high on him. Dude has good instincts but played piss poor in terms of technique.

Florida

- Very good instincts

- Great ball skills, handles it well and plays it correctly

- Major part of his game is being right place right time

- Continued to fail at making downhill tackles

- Waited for play to come his way

- Looked better in coverage, but pretty much stands deep and waits for a long pass.

- Looks like a SS with no ability to play the box. Really doubting him. Doesn't have range/speed to play FS, only the instincts. Could be a mixture between the two, if he improves coverage skills and reaction time.

Don't know why I had him like top 15. Dude is a RPRT guy with no ability to go after the play. Waits around for something to happen and plays average coverage. Great positioning and a ball hawk, but not a sure tackler.

Like a less-athletic Jairus Byrd, IMO.

Current grade: Early 2nd-round

Marcus Peters

Cornerback

Washington

Hawaii

- Monitors the whole play

- Solid tackler coming down hill

- Stays tight on man

- Good awareness to strip the catch from the WR. Tomahawks that shit

- Good tackling technique. Lowers body and rises through

- Great at knocking the ball down if it comes his way

- Jams the receiver at the line well

- Comes back to the play if he is beat short or is deep on an underneath pass

http://www.draftbrea...orsatalaboriosa

Stanford

- Good reads

- Insane fucking awareness and ball skills. Came across field for pick. Completely wrecked the route

- Seems to have a tougher time with speedy guys over the top. If he can't jam them, he is in trouble

- Chased down Ty Montgomery on kickoff that would've been TD. No doubt quick enough to play professionally

- Fights off blocker to stop Hogan on a key 3rd & 1. Did it all by himself

Marcus Peters is the #1 CB prospect. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is athletic, but he is nowhere as dominant as Peters. Peters displays an amount of technique and instincts that is rare to come by. He honestly reminds me of Sherman, but much less physical.

Current grade: Top 15 pick, arguably top 10.

Dak Prescott

Quarterback

Mississippi State

Texas A&M

- Solid presence in the pocket / steps up when he needs to

- Overthrew receiver. No question about his arm, but his placement is eh.

- Throws into good coverage. Questionable decision-making.

- Throws seem airy, and lack velocity. Catchable but seems to always arrive late.

- Mechanics seem extremely loose. Undefined.

- Ball often seems to come out over the receiver. Rarely hits the numbers.

- Wide receivers continually make him look good.

- Good with curls and designed cut-back throws.

- Can make his reads insanely quick, especially on designed plays.

- Whenever he is on the run, he keeps his feet moving against a pile. Good motor.

- Good balance

- Caught a pass on a fake WR handoff. Showed athleticism.

- Another issue with throwing too high

- Big body, tough to stop.

- Great deep ball, if he finds it.

Prescott is essentially Tebow 2.0 with less speed. He can't throw great. He has great vision running, but he isn't a speedy guy. He has the drive and effort each play to be decent, but he lacks the technique and all-around finer points of the game. I doubt he will be anything beyond a 3rd-stringer or practice squad guy. Stay in college, buddy.

Current grade: Round 6 or 7. Potential UDFA.

• Upvote 2

Revisiting Landon Collins.

Landon Collins

Safety

d8nqfhswwqiht1dc4y5p0dmeh.gif

Mississippi State

- Jogs midplay sometimes.

- Will hunt for ballcarrier in pile, not go up and make hit.

- Slows down to make hit, and puts ballcarrier in containment.

- Refusing to wrap up, just grabbing at ball or limbs with one hand.

- Lowers shoulder instead of wrapping up. Needs to make consistent tackles to stop big plays, even if it means not making a boom.

- Waits for the pileup to happen before making a move. Solely there for moral support.

- Absolutely refuses to chase down ballcarrier if it's more than 10 yards beyond him.

- Lowers body when making tackle. Great at striking the legs of someone as they come down the hole.

- Can't make an open field tackle without slinging arms or busting his ass. Embarassing. A pro-caliber safety does not fall on his ass running at college players.

- Waits for player to be going down before coming up to make hit. Relies on others to drag ballcarrier down.

- Misses another easy tackle. Unable to relocate feet and set to make hit, or come up to make a hit. Honestly think he doesn't read the center of mass. Shouldn't be getting faked out by light cuts.

- Great instincts but a RPRT interception. Easily burnt in coverage if the QB is good.

- Pass goes right over his head. Absolutely no awareness of offensive players, just a ballhunter.

To sum up my second analysis of Landon Collins, I've become even less fond of him. The media hype has him as the best safety in this draft but I honestly don't even know if he is top 3. Personally I would not touch him until midway through Day 2. All hype, no ability. Will suffer the same way Jarvis Jones suffered in that being a playmaker in college doesn't translate to the NFL.

Current draft grade: Mid 3rd round

Right place right time interception. Burnt if it's a good throw.

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=254106&gif=HonoredSplendidDromaeosaur

Edited by Chernobyl426
  • Upvote 2

Durell Eskridge

Safety

lhf2fxwjfmysj71nzmqw.gif

2013 study

Northwestern

- Wraps up good in space at full speed.

- Rides the line to the sideline and contains the runner.

- Not usually the first one to the ball, but cleans up nicely.

- Good reads on inside runs. Gets low and stuffs hole.

- Great wrap up tackle. Takes out legs & waist.

- Lowers to meet runner, again great tackling.

- Simply demolishes a screen. Eats the blocker and then the receiver.

- Dives and misses QB. In space versus speedy guys without help, can he make that 100% of the time?

- Burnt in endzone for TD. Can't tell if it was his coverage though. May have been a broken play.

- Seemed to slowly get locked in blocks more as game progresses.

- Great awareness, despite missing the tackle. Most players wouldn't have turned to take a shot on receiver.

- Blasts through hole and lowers his shoulder. Great play.

Rides the play to the sideline and makes a great tackle to finish off play.

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=251888&gif=LoathsomeUntidyHanumanmonkey

2014 study

Notre Dame

- Gets off blocker to push receiver out of bounds.

- Gets locked up, and doesn't make rush towards receiver.

- Pushed out of the play again.

- Reads 1 on 1 situations nicely and usually comes up with the tackle.

- Continually locked up on screens.

- Not wrapping up, just lowering body.

- Completely whiffs on tackle.

- Recovers fumble, watched ball whole way. Good RPRT play.

- Dove at ankles instead of wrapping up low and taking down ballcarrier.

- Still not wrapping up.

- Completely faked out by spin. Great play by receiver but still should've read and broke on ball earlier.

- Picked off QB perfectly. Read play all the way through. Not a RPRT turnover.

Right now I'd probably say he is a 4th rounder. His 2013 tape had me excited as an early 2nd, but he seems to have lost a lot of his fundamental tackling abilities along with the killer instinct versus screens. He'll be a back-up FS or a part-time rangy SS. If he ever returns to his 2013 form, I'd be willing to bet he is a starter.

• Upvote 1

Gerod Holliman

Safety

73446722007.gif

2014 study

Boston College

- RPRT interception.

- Slips attempting to make tackle in hole.

- Whiffs on inside cut attempting to make tackle.

- Uses shoulder instead of wrapping up.

- Not cutting back to make tackle.

- Diving, not tackling.

- Essentially runs past tackle.

- Finally fucking wraps up.

- Reads play action well.

- Misses what looked like his receiver. Wide open.

- Good read through hole.

- WRAP UP. Refuses to wrap. Slung body at guy on sideline.

- Looks like center of the defense. Calling out on each play.

- Misses TE. Wide open TD.

- Read option perfectly. Didn't tackle though, just slung the QB.

- Good INT but was large in part to the hit on the QB and bad throw.

- Burnt on pass. Half-ass jogs towards receiver.

- All over the field. 3 picks against Boston College. Just crazy good at transitioning from zone to receiver if he doesn't fuck up.

Current grade is 3rd or 4th rounder. Absolutely awful tackling but has great ball instincts and transitions well from zone into man coverage about 50% of time. When he is on, he is on. When he misses a receiver, he is burnt to a crisp. I personally don't like him unless he is playing center fielder in a Seattle type scheme. Dude can't fucking tackle nor cover, just flies around and intercepts it. Any team drafting him with the expectation of a starting FS is fucked. Zero motor. Lets the receiver walk past him if he is burnt. I'd rip his head off if I was a coach. Half-asses it all the time.

• Upvote 1

Marcus Peters, Leonard Williams, and Randy Gregory have declared.

Connor Cook has decided to stay at Michigan State.

Breakdowns will come in the near future for Williams and Gregory.

• Upvote 1

Listen up, draft gurus...

The Eagles need a QB. But we're not trading 25 draft picks to get Mariota. We need someone who will be available in the 15-25 range, someone Chip can develop for a year or two.

Mainly, I need someone I can get my hopes up for only to watch the Eagles draft another position in the first round.

I need a name...

Obviously Winston could be available but I doubt you'd want that. Dude is a bust in the making, from what I've seen. Will do more film study on him but as of now I'd advise against that.

I would say Cook, but he is off the table. Prescott is most likely coming back too (I'm not a personal fan but he's graded as a 1st by many.)

Bryce Petty or Brett Hundley in the 2nd or 3rd wouldn't be too bad of a pick for the Eagles, going solely by the judgement of others and a little bit of film on Petty. I'd say pray for a different position in the 1st though.

I think Chip could be in the market for Oregon CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, and extremely athletic and physically gifted player. While he is undersized, I think he would fit the Eagles very well.

Round 1: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (Walter Football Camp actually has him taken there in the mock. :) )

Round 2: Marcus Peters

Round 3: Bryce Petty/Brett Hundley

Connor Cook has decided to stay at Michigan State.

This news saddens me. Cook appeared to me to be the prototypical quarterback that O'Brien is looking for. I just hope they can re-sign Mallett and then draft either Cook or Hackenberg in 2016.

This news saddens me. Cook appeared to me to be the prototypical quarterback that O'Brien is looking for. I just hope they can re-sign Mallett and then draft either Cook or Hackenberg in 2016.

Everything I heard about Cook was good. Would take a look but given he isn't coming out this year I'll have to wait until next year for that study.

Ekpre-Olomu just fucked knee in practice :yao::no:

Garrett Grayson.

I wouldn't be surprised if Texans take a punt on Mannion - just not in the first round for either of these two.

Edited by Wattafan

Garrett Grayson.

I wouldn't be surprised if Texans take a punt on Mannion - just not in the first round for either of these two.

I like the little I've seen of Grayson. Hopefully the hype train doesn't make him higher than a 2nd-3rd rounder.

I absolutely hate Mannion. Wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole. Turrible mechanics.

Hype train/poor QB class will lead to Grayson being overdrafted. Late 2nd/early 3rd is possible for him in this class IMO

• Upvote 1

I like the little I've seen of Grayson. Hopefully the hype train doesn't make him higher than a 2nd-3rd rounder.

I absolutely hate Mannion. Wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole. Turrible mechanics.

OB might think he can fix Mannion. Trouble is, we will have too many "fixer uppers" on this team.

Back to the drawing board for Texans - unless they take a punt on someone like an RGIII or Foles/Sanchez become available.

He might swing a surprise deal for someone. I am trying to remember the name of the rookie who beat us last year that played for OB in college? Possible last name started with G...

Edited by Wattafan

OB might think he can fix Mannion. Trouble is, we will have too many "fixer uppers" on this team.

Back to the drawing board for Texans - unless they take a punt on someone like an RGIII or Foles/Sanchez become available.

He might swing a surprise deal for someone. I am trying to remember the name of the rookie who beat us last year that played for OB in college? Possible last name started with G...

Matt McGloin?

• Upvote 1

I don't like Connor Cook but that's because A) he upended the Buckeyes' championship shot last year (probably would have lost to FSU anyway) and B) he is a bitch because I say so.

Something about Cook rubs me the wrong way. Other than that, it seemed like he started to get antsy and started making poor decisions in the Oregon (didn't watch that much of it cause of the OSU-VT game) and the OSU game itself. His numbers look a lot better in the OSU game because we dropped 2 or 3 INTs on different drives that would have obviously increased his INTs but possibly decreased TDs and yardage.

Cook is probably a good prospect but fuck Connor Cook just because fuck Connor Cook. :shifty:

EDIT: However, even I have to admit it takes something special to lead your team to a win after being down 19 points in the 4th quarter. I think a lot of credit has to go to the defense, but Cook still had to kick it into gear and comeback from what had been a poor game.

Edited by OSUViking

The Eagles need a QB. But we're not trading 25 draft picks to get Mariota. We need someone who will be available in the 15-25 range, someone Chip can develop for a year or two.

Mainly, I need someone I can get my hopes up for only to watch the Eagles draft another position in the first round.

I need a name...

Trae Waynes.

I need a name...

Cardale Jones :smug:

• Upvote 1

I need a name...

There isn't one, man. This is a bad class.

Holy shit, watched one game of Leonard Williams against Cal this year and BEAST. Will watch more and get a more well rounded opinion but so far? :wub:

B6wDJecIYAE6k0Y.jpg

:ooo: make it happen, Dave

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson