Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Eagles @ Texans

By KEVIN CHROUST

STATS Writer
(AP) -- The Philadelphia Eagles' turnover issues are impeding their progress toward a second straight NFC East title.

Keeping the ball secure figures to be no easier Sunday in Houston with a Texans' pass rush consisting of J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney.

Philadelphia (5-2) hasn't lost back-to-back games since its 3-5 start to 2013, going 12-3 since Nick Foles took over the starting quarterback job for good almost exactly a year ago.

That period started with plenty of offensive efficiency as the now 25-year-old signal-caller threw just four interceptions in the first 11 starts of that span - two during this year's 3-0 start. In the last four games, Foles has thrown seven, including a pair in last Sunday's 24-20 loss in Arizona.

The Eagles committed three turnovers, giving them 12 over the past four games. Their minus-7 turnover differential ranks 29th, ahead of only Washington, Jacksonville and the New York Jets, all of which have now undergone in-season quarterback changes.

Foles is the NFL's 28th-rated passer after leading the league last year.

"I have to do a better job," said Foles, who is also dealing with a banged-up offensive line. "Words can't describe it. I have to keep working on fundamentals, footwork and decision-making. I'm going to keep studying film and keep working. It's all correctable and I can fix it. My words don't mean anything. I have to go out there and prove it."

Doing so against Houston (4-4) could be difficult. Houston has taken the ball away 17 times, more than every team other than Buffalo (18).

Watt has five sacks in the last three games with a forced or recovered fumble in each.

Clowney, meanwhile, returned in Sunday's 30-16 win at Tennessee after a six-game absence due to a knee injury. The No. 1 overall pick didn't start and was limited to one tackle, but the linebacker is expected to contribute more against the Eagles.

"I think he'll be in there a little bit more," coach Bill O'Brien told the team's official website. "We'll see how he feels throughout the week. I think it's still a process of not being out there for whatever it was, seven weeks, and now coming back. I don't think he's ready to play 80 plays in a game, but I think we can keep working him in there more."

The defense was without Brian Cushing, who is again dealing with a left knee problem. The middle linebacker had season-ending surgery on the knee after Week 7 of last year and hopes to return this week, but that remains very much in question.

"The first four games I felt like I was progressing," Cushing said. "Then there has obviously been a little bit of an issue."

Continuing with an improved running game could help open things up for Foles and limit the Texans' defensive arsenal. In four September games, the Eagles averaged 3.6 yards per carry and were limited to 87.0 per game. In the last three, they're up to 4.8 and 152.7.

LeSean McCoy has rushed for at least 81 yards in those games with a 4.7 average after failing to reach 80 in his first four on 2.7 per carry.

McCoy could have backfield help with Darren Sproles (knee) potentially returning after missing last week. Center Jason Kelce (hernia) and guard Todd Herremans (biceps) also returned to full practice participation this week.

Houston's Arian Foster has far surpassed McCoy this season and is coming off maybe his most effective game. Foster ran for 151 yards and two scores on 20 carries while catching four passes for 22 yards and a TD against the Titans. He's reached the 100-yard mark in a career-high four straight games and six of seven this year after getting there twice in eight games a season ago.

Last Sunday's win snapped a three-game losing streak, and Foster wants more from the offense as a whole on a weekly basis to ensure another skid doesn't occur.

"We just have to strive to be more consistent as an offense," Foster said. "Our defense holds it down week in and week out, so as an offense we take that to heart ... we have a lot of work to do."

The Eagles defense, much improved by a number of measures, has still allowed at least 400 yards of total offense four times in the last five games.

It could add more to the turnover battle as well. Philadelphia has forced 10 this season - tied for 21st in the league - and has just one player with an interception. Malcolm Jenkins alone has three, and that team total is tied for second-fewest in football.

The Eagles are 3-0 all time against the Texans, but the teams haven't met since 2010.

Source: Hosted.Stats.com

Texans ILB Brian Cushing (knee) is inactive for Sunday's Week 9 game against the Eagles.

Cushing continues to struggle with complications as he comes off his serious leg/knee injury from 2013. He's day to day.
The Texans will also be without Jadeveon Clowney again, this time due to an illness. The rest of the their inactives: QB Tom Savage, WR DeVier Posey, CB Darryl Morris, ILB Jeff Tarpinian and T Jeff Adams.

Eagles declared S Nate Allen (hamstring) inactive for Sunday's Week 9 game at Houston.

Allen, one of the worst starting safeties in the league, was a game-time call. Earl Wolff starts which will make Eagles fans happy, but it's scary to think how bad he's been in practice if he couldn't unseat Allen. Darren Sproles (knee) is a full-go, as expected.
The rest of the Eagles inactives: QB Matt Barkley, WR Brad Smith, OL Julian Vandervelde, OL Dennis Kelly, LB Marcus Smith and DE Taylor Hart.

Jason Peters vs. J.J. Watt is going to be fun to watch. The game as a whole should be close, with Eagles turnovers being the X-factor. Don't underestimate the return of Jason Kelce, which gives Philly a tremendous boost in the run game. I've got the Eagles taking a close one.

:Eagles: 23

:Texans: 20

JJ Watt continues his MVP caliber season with 2 sacks, one turnover, and of course a few big swats.

:Texans: 34

:Eagles: 24

Texans minus their two starting corners.

Eagles minus their starting quarterback.

Should be interesting... Already making Sanchize look like an All-Pro...

Edited by FartWaffles

A rather interesting first half so far. The Eagles offense looks way better with Sanchez in there, especially in terms of playcalling. Eagles defense is doing a great job containing Arian Foster in the run game, but of course gave up a big play. All 14 of Houston's points have come off turnovers.

If the Eagles stay cool and don't turn the ball over in the second half, they win.

Texans defense is soft. They're afraid to tackle. Eagles just ran it right down their throat...

For now, I'm really happy with the way the Eagles played in the 2nd half, and really glad we got a win. That Texans defensive front is nasty.

In the long term, I'm concerned about the injuries to Foles and Ryans, but we shall see. Sanchez looked very good today (aside from 1 pass which may have been a miscommunication and/or DPI), and the playcalling was better with him in there as well.

Jason Kelce is a big difference maker in this offense man. I think LeSean McCoy would be the first to tell you that. Great win today. We've been winning with a patch work o line and are 2 plays from being unbeaten. I don't think we've seen the best of this team yet either and that's really exciting.