Sign in to follow this  
Mentch

Which Decade Would You Rather Experience?

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which team's decade would you rather endure as a fan?

• Bills' 1990s
    • Rams' 1990s

As a fan, this is honestly a very tough question to answer. Let's compare the 1990s between 2 polar opposites, the Bills and the Rams

Bills (1990-99)

- 103-57 total record

- 8 winning seasons

- 8 playoff appearances

- 10-8 postseason record

- 4 Conference Championship game appearances (and wins)

- 4 Super Bowl appearances

- But no titles :(

Rams (1990-99)

- 58-102 total record (45-99 excluding 1999 altogether)

- 1 winning season

- 1 playoff appearance

- 3-0 postseason record

- 1 Super Bowl title

So basically, would you rather watch a team be flat out dreadful for an entire decade and then catch lightning in a bottle during 1 season and win it all, or would you rather see your team be extremely competitive, come so close time after time again, and fall short over and over?

IMO, if the Rams situation guarantees a championship, you go with it and put yourself through those years of being horrible for the payoff at the end. But if it doesn't, there's no other reason to want to put yourself in that situation. But if a championship was guaranteed, it's hard not to endure all that misery in exchange for a title

If we're talking actual examples of the teams, then I'm taking the Rams. I'm not sitting through four consecutive SB losses.

If we're talking just scenario-wise, I'd rather have sustained goodness than a meteoric rise and fall back to sucky earth.

I've been through having a successful team for a stretch of time fail to claim a title(99-03 Titans) and now I've gone through mostly shitty seasons as a fan since then. I'd much rather go through the shitty seasons and end up with a superbowl ring at the end of it then have a bunch of "success" that accumulates in nothing.

:yep:

/thread

The weird part here is that the Rams were in L.A. for the first half of the 90s. So if you're a Rams fan at the beginning and you're in SoCal they move to St. Louis then win a title in 99 so that kind of takes away from that. But hypothetically if the Rams fan stayed a Rams fan even after they moved to St. Louis I'd much rather have that Super Bowl title at the end of the decade. Knowing and living through losing and pain makes victory and a championship that much sweeter. Being great but always choking would just be a lasting bitterness.

Edited by CampinWithGoatSampson

I actually really enjoy following a team that's continually in contention even without actually winning a title, but it's hard for me to really compare since I haven't seen any of my teams win a championship

Are we counting the fact that one team left midway through the decade?

Are we counting the fact that one team left midway through the decade?

No, ignore that actually. I meant for you guys to look at the stats from both teams from that decade in a vacuum