Sign in to follow this  
theMileHighGuy

Interesting read for conspiracy theorists and detractors of NFL officiating.

When I heard that the officiating crew for Monday Night's Broncos @ Bengals game was going to be the one front-manned by head referee Bill Vinovich, my heart sank a little bit. That's because in every game Mr. Vinovich has refereed for a Peyton Manning-led Broncos team, we've lost. Not only have we lost, but in all except one clear occasion, officiating was a definitive detriment on the quality of the contest (like it is in oh-so-too-many games in the NFL these days). What I didn't know, was in the two games that Vinovich refereed while Manning was still a Colt, the Colts lost those games as well.

Can one player honestly be 0-6 when one specific officiating crew is on the field?

This article is obviously written by a Denver sports outlet, but this writer in particular is very thorough, and generally fair with opinions. His breakdowns in the other articles that are linked within are genuine, and he takes time to point out situations where the officiating has favored the Broncos instead of hinder.

The Huffington Post article he links to about the playoff loss to Baltimore is a good one too, and further accentuates the fact that Bill Vinovich is an asshole.

Anyway, it's a decent read.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/12/26/7447523/peyton-manning-bill-vinovich-broncos-referee

Edited by theMileHighGuy

I think most people would agree that the officiating is shaky in the league and I often wonder about game fixing with refs but.....

0-4 playing against the SB Ravens, Chargers, Seahawks, & Bengals. Four good teams at the time those games were played. You got beat in both the Chargers & Bengals games IMO. Seahawks, I didn't watch to be fair. Ravens, the officiating was questionable but....Rahim Moore lost you that game plain and simple.

• Upvote 1

Referees were throwing all those interceptions in the 4th quarter, too, I bet :smug:

Nah, it is odd that you would be on such a losing steak with one ref in particular but, let's just hope it is a... coincidence?

Every sport has politics involved in it. But if the team is good enough it should overcome poor officiating.

First of all, Bill Vinovich is one of the only white hats whose crews consistently seem to be decent and not make any egregious calls. I don't recall which game it was, but I do recall one primetime game where they had troubles this year but I also remember that it did not involve the Broncos.

There are trace lines similar to this throughout sports at every level. Maybe he doesn't like Peyton. Maybe he hates Papa John's :yao:. Who knows?

The guy is one of the best white hats in the league--that's all I know.

Breaking down the incidents:

1. Dre Kirkpatrick did NOT hold DThomas on that play. That is how EVERY route starts in the NFL. Corners make contact while they can so as to disrupt routes. Not a penalty. I was pleasantly surprised to see the writer admit that the DT penalty was legitimate, because it was. Where he was wrong is in stating that the official who threw the flag couldn't see it. He had a great angle.

2. The hold may be legitimate, but without a moving gif, how can we confirm it? Players make blocks like that all the time without grabbing the jersey, so it's a no-go. As for the block in the back, that is indeed a real penalty if Gresham and that defensive player were not engaged prior to it becoming Gresham pushing him in the back. It's only a block in the back if you initiate contact that way.

3. That is an obvious DPI but we've seen defensive players get away with that all year. Is it a noteworthy gripe? Yes, but it doesn't only happen to the Broncos.

4. Reggie Nelson clearly intercepted that pass. He ripped it away from Thomas before Thomas could make that ridiculous thing they call a "football move." Come the fuck on. That was a clear pick.

This is the Broncos version of me but much saltier and actually willing to write a complete breakdown of a game in which his team had their nuts snipped by a tougher Bengals team.

If there's one thing I know, it's that I can emphatically trust Bware's opinion on referees.

My past ref tirades don't make it impossible for me to make good points about referees.

The Baltimore playoff game in which Rahim Moore fucked up was one of the poorest examples of competent officiating in league history. For Christ's sake, the mother fuckers let Justin Tucker take practice field goal tries during the overtime break. The blatantly obvious PI no-call which resulted in the pick-6 was maybe the worst of all. It's all in http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-kirkpatrick/ravens-broncos_b_2492147.html this article that was also linked by the MHR guy.

Vinovich and the officials he's responsible for are garbage.

IT WAS ME, PEYTON. IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!