Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Mayock: "Winston Reminds me of Jay Cutler"

Appearing on NFL Total Access on Thursday night, Mayock dived deep on his rankings and brought up an interesting pro comparison for Winston

"Now, I don't like all of the interceptions he throws, he reminds me a little bit of a Jay Cutler coming out of Vanderbilt. He has no conscience whatsoever. He'll let it rip, but he has the physical skill-set to play and succeed in the NFL at the highest level."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470344/article/mayock-winston-reminds-me-of-jay-cutler-coming-out-of-college

I think Mike used this as a compliment, but let's be honest. If you needed an on-field reason to avoid drafting Winston, you have it now.

I'd be surprised if he even ends up as good as Jay Cutler. I think he's gonna be a Christian Ponder/Blaine Gabbert like bust.

He's better than Christian ever was.

• Upvote 1

I'd be surprised if he even ends up as good as Jay Cutler. I think he's gonna be a Christian Ponder/Blaine Gabbert like bust.

tumblr_n69jwolIlU1rdichro1_500.gif

We're talking Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert here. I don't know if it was just his reputation going into the season but it seems like everyone thinks he just sucked dick this year :lol: He did play pretty bad at times no doubt, he was at fault as was everyone involved like all the freshman and new WRs he had to work with but he also had straight elite QB stretches in there too. If we're talking strictly physical gifts, football IQ, anticipation throws, pocket movement/presence, eyes down the field, attacking all areas of the field, etc. etc. everything you want in a QB only one of these guys has those things and it's not Ponder or Gabbert. He's not the best prospect ever or anything, those mechanics are horrid but if it works it works I guess when you're that big and that strong. We'll see against NFL speed. I do have questions there myself. But with NFL coaching who knows? Also he did show some impatience and Jay Cutler like stubbornness against zone coverage at times this year, that's a legit thing to note. Not being bias here but that comparison is just a huuuuge reach :lol:

I'm not trying to compare their playing styles. It was just my way of saying that I think he's gonna be a bust, which I don't think is a huge reach. There's many people who agree with that. You saying it's a 'huge reach' makes me think that you believe he's a 100% sure fire can't miss QB, which to me is a bigger reach. I'd say there's a better chance of him busting than hitting.

I'm just not a fan from what I've seen of him, he's pretty inaccurate, and I don't think he sees the field well. And the off the field stuff makes me doubt that he's gonna have the work ethic to improve. Geno Smith is what I think he'll most be like.

Edited by RevisFan81

I'm not trying to compare their playing styles. It was just my way of saying that I think he's gonna be a bust, which I don't think is a huge reach. There's many people who agree with that. You saying it's a 'huge reach' makes me think that you believe he's a 100% sure fire can't miss QB, which to me is a bigger reach. I'd say there's a better chance of him busting than hitting.

I'm just not a fan from what I've seen of him, he's pretty inaccurate, and I don't think he sees the field well. And the off the field stuff makes me doubt that he's gonna have the work ethic to improve. Geno Smith is what I think he'll most be like.

You think Winston will be like Geno Smith, Campin said GENO was the GOAT, therefore Campin thinks Winston will be pretty damn good :smug:

And ya, I can't even begin explaining how much I do not envy having a top pick and needing a QB. I might be weird, but I would rather draft and develop a QB like Hundley , Petty, or Grayson.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Never said you were comparing their styles, just that you were comparing. Then I listed off traits that I think Winston has that Ponder and Gabbert didn't. Me saying you comparing him to Ponder and Gabbert was a huge reach has absolutely nothing to do with me saying he's a sure fire can't miss QB because I even went on to list negatives in his game in the very same post :yao:

The bigger reach is you calling that a reach honestly. :lol:

As in a mental nutjob that makes poor decisions? Yes.

As a football player...no.