Sign in to follow this  
DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Top 10 PGs

Here's last year's rankings: Top 10 PGs

Just like last year, around this time I just do a list of the guys I think make up the top 10, countdown style. You are welcomed to put your own list, and critique/comments are always welcomed.

Here we gooooo....

12. Jrue Holiday

1389370848000-USP-NBA-New-Orleans-Pelica

15 PPG/ 3.4 TRB/ 6.9 AST/ 2.3 TOs/ 1.6 STLs

18.8 PER/ 45% FG%/ 38% 3P%/ 52% TS/ 49% eFG

Why he was Considered:

Jrue has developed a close to complete offensive game. He's not a great scorer, but whatever he's lacking as a scorer he makes up as a great playmaker, and plays consistent defense. He was 7th among guards in AST:TO ratio.

Why he's not in the top 10:

Didn't play enough. And his offense is far too inconsistent at this point.

11. Isaiah Thomas

17142568-mmmain.jpg

16.4 PPG/ 2.3 TRB/ 4.2 AST/ 2.1 TO/ .9 STLs

20.6 PER/ 42% FG/ 37% 3FG/ 58% TS/ 50% eFG

Why he was considered:

More of the same with Thomas. He's offensive ability is crazy underrated. Don't let his 16.4 PPG fool you, that's largely due to the fact that he played 26 minutes a game this past year. Of all the scoring guards that will be mentioned on this upcoming list, many would argue he's a top 5 candidate. And he isn't a volume scorer either, he's extremely efficient. He got to the line a rate of .44, that almost ties him up with Russell Westbrook, and his TS% at 58%, eFG at 50% puts him well above Westbrook.

Why he didn't make it:

His ability as a playmaker is extremely lacking. And his defense is probably worse, making him a one trick pony at this point. His defensive RPM was -2.94, which essentially means that the Celtics gave up nearly 3 points less with him on the court then off it. Until he develops his overall game more, there's no justifying putting him any higher.

----

10. Eric Bledsoe

131023003108-20131022-eric-bledsoe-thund

17 PPG/ 5.2 TRB/ 6.1 AST/ 3.4 TOs/ 1.6 STLs

18.4 PER/ 48% FG/ 32% 3P%/ 49% eFG/ 56% TS

Why he's in the top 10:

Where do you start with Bledsoe? He's already pound for pound the best rebounder and defensive player at his position. Even with his height, and inability to contest all shots, he still blocks shots at a pretty nice rate for a guy his size, and his wingspan and quickness allows for him to play the passing lanes. Offensively, Bledsoe is still driving to the lane almost as much as some of the best players in the NBA. He gets to the line at a great rate.

Why he's not higher:

I'm still waiting for Bledsoe to continue growing, he's got massive potential but continues to be slowed down by injuries, and having to share the load. His jumper is still shaky, and kinda sluggish, and this pretty much causes him to be either really good (see 2 years ago) or sometimes really bad (see parts of this year). Aside from his shooting, Bledsoe still has issues with being over aggressive, and it shows through his playmaking. The guy still turns the ball over way too much for a point guard, which is the reason he's always split time as a 2 guard, and a 1 guard. I said last year that Bledsoe had the potential to jump all the way to the elite category, and I still believe it, but he continues to struggle for a multitude of reasons.

• Upvote 2

Starting to get into the NBA more with the Sixers rebuild and it's made me appreciate how much hoops knowledge you have when I read this section, DMac. Can't wait to read the rest of these rankings.

• Upvote 1

All I know is Jordan Clarkson is going to be on this list next year.

If Chris Paul is #1 we're going to have problems Dmac....

• Upvote 1

I know Chris Paul is hated on TGP, but does anyone actually not think....no...does anyone not KNOW he's the best PG in the league? Steph and Russ are starting to give him a run for his money, but it's still CP3 in my eyes.

I know Chris Paul is hated on TGP, but does anyone actually not think....no...does anyone not KNOW he's the best PG in the league? Steph and Russ are starting to give him a run for his money, but it's still CP3 in my eyes.

He definitely isn't the best anymore. Give me the guys you mentioned hands down.

I'm sorry but if you're the best player at the most important position in the NBA you should make it out of the second round at least ONCE in a ten year span.

Starting to get into the NBA more with the Sixers rebuild and it's made me appreciate how much hoops knowledge you have when I read this section, DMac. Can't wait to read the rest of these rankings.

Thanks Sean, never hurts to have more people to talk NBA with. Lol.

All I know is Jordan Clarkson is going to be on this list next year.

If Chris Paul is #1 we're going to have problems Dmac....

Rofl, the top 4 are a jumbo. The only part with anything worth anticipating. :p

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

That Russell Westbrook guy COOKS CP3's bitchass every time they play.

Sean please.

Welp, might as well finish this. Lol. I'm prepared for the hate.

3. Russell Westbrook

0557726001431601506_filepicker.jpg

28.1 PPG/ 7.3 TRB/ 2.1 STLs/ 8.6 AST/ 4.4 TOs

29.1 PER/ 43% FG/ 30% 3P/ 46% eFG/ 54% TS

Why he’s in the top 3:

There was a point in the season where Westbrook had a legitimate argument for being the best player in the NBA, he is one of the fiercest competitors in all of sports. He managed 11 triple doubles this past season and the second closest was Harden with 4. He was arguably the best scorer in the league this past year putting up 10 40+ point games, and going through a stretch where he scored less than 20 once. His month of February is going to go down as one of the greatest months by anyone, ever, where he averaged 31/10/9, with a player efficiency rating of over 30. He finished the season off with the highest offensive plus/minus of any point guard, and OKC scored nearly 8 less points with him on the bench then in game. This was also his best year passing the ball as he nearly finished the season averaging 10 assists per game. He’s arguably the best scoring guard in the NBA, best rebounding guard in the NBA, and could make an argument for being one of the best when it comes to jumping the lane. This was also arguably Westbrook’s best season on the defensive end, where he ranked second in the NBA in steals (2.1) and was second in steals rate. He was a hawk when it came to jumping lanes and forcing turnovers. There was no player in the NBA outside of maybe Curry that produced more must watch performances then Westbrook, and he became one of the my favorite players to watch.

Why he’s not higher:

There’s a huge love/hate relationship with Westbrook’s play that ultimately prevents me from putting him any higher and most of it stems from what was almost this season an all-time high usage rate. First, despite his major scoring increase, you have to wonder how much of that simply had to do with the fact that he was taking more shots than ever before. Despite his huge scoring hike, he also had some of his worst scoring percentages in over 4 years. Guys who get to the FT line a lot and shoot a lot of FTs tend to be the most efficient, but in WB’s case, the amount of ill-advised shots he takes makes his TS rate worse than it should be. Same principle applies with his assists/TO ratio, which was, to be frank, atrocious at times (he averaged over 5 TOs in March). Defensively, despite his major progress this past season, there’s still work to be done there for a guy who’s athletically as gifted as WB. His gambling on defense often also put him out of position on defense and led to a lot of open jumpers, or in position to get to the basket. According to Synergy sports, OKC gave up more open jumpers then virtually every other team in the NBA, and WB deserves some of the blame for that.

2. Stephen Curry

20150505__curry05061.jpg

23 PPG/ 4.3 TRB/ 2.0 STLs/ 7.7 AST/ 3.1 TOs

28.0 PER/ 49% FG/ 44% 3P/ 59% eFG/ 64% TS

Why he’s in the top 3:

The MVP of 2014-15 cemented himself as arguably the best scorer in the NBA, and one of the greatest shooters of all time. No shooter has scared defenses as much as Curry scared defenses this year, it’s rare that you ever see entire defenses run to the perimeter to stop once player. Teams all the way up to Cleveland in the finals had no answer for the pick and roll with Curry because either you trap him and leave a man wide open, or give him even a fraction of a second to get a shot off, and with his handling skills, it was even harder to handle. Curry scored over 30 points 30 (!) times this year, and scored 40+ an additional 9 times. A 64% true shooting is absolutely ridiculous for someone who shoots as many jumpers as he does. Curry’s also a much more improved passer, as this past season he managed to massively improve his turnover issues, and performing even better as a playmaker. Curry’s defense was also extremely improved this year as he’s started using his length and his high IQ to play the lanes and challenge the lanes to get more steals where he almost led the league. Curry gave up a field goal of 40.5% on defense, which is elite as far as PGs are concerned, and is actually a better percentage than the rest of the Warriors gave up by nearly 2 percentages. No longer do the Warriors have to put Curry on the worst of the two guards as he has improved on defense to the point where he can actually play up on anyone.

Why he’s not higher:

When he isn’t impacting the offense through his scoring first (a rare occurrence), he simply isn’t a great enough playmaker to impact the game through his passing. We saw it happen in the playoffs against the Grizzlies when Conley handled him and in the finals with his sluggish performances in games 2 and 3, he started making mistakes, passing the ball out of bounds, and to the wrong players/spots. His assist to TO ratio is average at best, and he still turned the ball over a lot more then you want your point guard to. Nowhere else is how much development he needs as a playmaker more apparent than when the Warriors were forced to slow down and play half-court offense. At this point, Curry’s abilities as a floor general is the only reason why he’s not at the #1 position. That, and I simply believe the guy who’s ahead of him is straight up the closest thing in the NBA to a perfect point guard.

1. Chris Paul

usp-nba_-los-angeles-clippers-at-new-yor

19.1 PPG/ 4.6 TRB/ 1.9 STLs/ 10.2 AST/ 2.3 TOs

26 PER 49% FG/ 40% 3P/ 55% eFG/ 60% TS

Why he’s the best:

My third time doing this, and I still can’t think of anyone better. Say what you will about CP3, love him/hate him, his antics, etc, but at the end of the day, no point guard, and almost no player in the NBA impacts the game as much as he does. And this isn’t my opinion; it’s simply facts at this point. The Clippers, despite having the 10th ranked offensive pace, were the most efficient offense in the NBA, and it was largely due to CP3 being the floor general. He only averaged 19 PPG, but accounted for more total points generated per game then everyone else in the NBA (including Curry) outside of Westbrook who also had a 15 point higher usage rate. And then there was the stretch of games where Blake Griffin was hurt. In that stretch, the Clippers, best offense in the league, were even better, and with CP3 in the game, per 100 possessions averaged over 17 (up from a still ridiculous 12 points with Griffin healthy) points more than with him on the bench. He was first in offensive rating (points produced per 100 possessions), first in offensive win shares (2nd in overall win shares), first in not only assists, but also hockey assists, all while putting up a ridiculous assist/TO ratio of 4.41. And that’s just on offense, doesn’t touch on the impact, and the overall effort CP3 gives on defense. The Clippers gave up almost 9 more points with him on the bench then him in the game. We’ve seen CP3 take on, and defend guys twice his size, we’ve seen him bark out and even push Jordan and Griffin into the right spots on defense. And with his pesky defense, you could argue he’s the best on ball defender in the league among perimeter defenders. He may not be the fastest, biggest, or the most explosive player on the court, but at any given time, he is without a doubt the smartest, and most impact, and that’s what makes him the best.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

disgust-jony-depp.gif

I am very disappointed in you. Your top 3 is backwards

No Derrick Rose?

Rose and Dragic are head-scratching no-shows on this list IMO.

I'm the biggest advocate of Rose on this site.

The guy plays great. But all the injuries are rather disheartening. Hard to put a play in the top 10 when they are missing a lot of action.

But when he's healthy he def. belongs somewhere on this list...

But Dragic is a headscratcher as well

Rose didn't look like a top 10 guard when he was healthy this year (if he was healthy at all). Dragic played more minutes at the 2 guard overall this past year then at the 1, so he'll be on the other list. :yep:

I'm taking Westbrook over any PG easily. Cp3 best perimeter defender?? Really? Eh idk about that one. Curry second and CP3 third. I would also take Irving over Conley as well. Nice list though, I know they aren't easy to rank, some players could put interchangeable.

• Upvote 1

I feel like it's a toss-up for me between Westbrook and Curry at 1. Paul should definitely be 3 in my eyes. Wall at 4. I'm a homer for Kyrie and I don't mind Conley ahead of him but I actually think they should both be in front of Lowry. :shrug:

But really Holliday and Thomas over Rose? He should at least be in that 11 spot in my opinion.

I'm taking Westbrook over any PG easily. Cp3 best perimeter defender?? Really? Eh idk about that one. Curry second and CP3 third. I would also take Irving over Conley as well. Nice list though, I know they aren't easy to rank, some players could put interchangeable.

4 box score stats correlate the most with wins, the first and second in terms of importance is scoring efficiently, and not turning over the ball.

In these two areas Westbrook is the worst of the three. For me, it's an easy choice. And as far as CP3 being the best perimeter defender in the league, the article I linked pretty much sums it up better then I ever could. He disrupts everyone on the perimeter he plays against. Westbrook had scored, 48, 45, before they played the Clippers, then 26, 24 after they played the clippers but only managed 19 against LA, on 6 for 19, he routinely held even the best PG bellow there season averages.

I know a lot of people would chose Westbrook and Curry over Paul, and I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it, but I would be curious to see the reasoning outside of putting up more points...

I feel like it's a toss-up for me between Westbrook and Curry at 1. Paul should definitely be 3 in my eyes. Wall at 4. I'm a homer for Kyrie and I don't mind Conley ahead of him but I actually think they should both be in front of Lowry. :shrug:

But really Holliday and Thomas over Rose? He should at least be in that 11 spot in my opinion.

Rose had literally no statistical advantages over either one. He averaged .8 assists more then Thomas while playing 4 more minutes a game.

I definitely don't think they are better then Rose, but imo Rose really was not that good this past year. He was a bit better in the playoffs, but still.

4 box score stats correlate the most with wins, the first and second in terms of importance is scoring efficiently, and not turning over the ball.

In these two areas Westbrook is the worst of the three. For me, it's an easy choice. And as far as CP3 being the best perimeter defender in the league, the article I linked pretty much sums it up better then I ever could. He disrupts everyone on the perimeter he plays against. Westbrook had scored, 48, 45, before they played the Clippers, then 26, 24 after they played the clippers but only managed 19 against LA, on 6 for 19, he routinely held even the best PG bellow there season averages.

I know a lot of people would chose Westbrook and Curry over Paul, and I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it, but I would be curious to see the reasoning outside of putting up more points...

I see u have done the research, with the statements u have put up. Look the reason I'm taking Westbrook is because he's a freak. Scoring wise he went HAM this year. He dominated. He's just bigger stronger faster. He is a triple double machine when he turns it on the way he did this year. That alone will make me take him over CP3 anyday. CP3 is nice but I feel his defense is overrated. I know you have numbers and what not, but the eye test also shows me he gets beat alot more then he should. Plus having Jordan behind him helps out alot. If a scorer who is know for driving to make his points plays against Clippers, that factors in the adjustments that player will make. CP3 could be beat but Jordan is there to clean up. He benefits from it, which isn't his fault but I do feel u have to mention that IMo. Idk CP3 just doesn't take over the game like Westbrook and Curry to me.

Curry just won a ring and him being able to shoot from anywhere helps his cause. He doesn't play as good as defense as CP3 but it's more of the element Curry and Westbrook have that I like over CP3. All 3 have nice passing skills, dribbles, and speed. Then Currys shooting, Westbrook insane athleticism, is why I take those 2 over CP3.

So honestly, starting a franchise and u had to pick one PG, your taking CP3 over these 2 guys Dmac?

My only thing is. Russell Westbrook was an MVP candidate because he put OKC on his back. I'm not sure a guy like CP3 could give that same amount of energy on defense, if he's the donkey if Griffin, Jordan, and others were to go down.

That's all I'm saying. CP3 is the best defender on this list...but offensively I think Westbrook knew that the ball was better off in his hands, otherwise, his assist ratio would obviously be up.

I mean...when you look around and see Waiters, Ibaka, Robinson, Kanter...what are you going to do? They aren't consistent whereas in CP3's case...you have guys like Crawford, Redick, Jordan, Griffin, you feel a little more at ease to pass the ball. Not saying it's either of their faults that they're in the situations that their in. I just think if you put CP3 in OKC you don't get Westbrook like production, whereas if you put Westbrook in LAC that team does even better.

That's all I'm saying.

Guest Phailadelphia

I think Westbrook's overall production and the way he can impose his will on any defense makes him a more valuable asset than CP3 or Curry. He gambles a little too much on defense but I'm not sure there's another player aside from Lebron with his athletic ability and talent in scoring, distributing, and rebounding. And when he does lock down on defense he's impossible to get around. And, as DarthRaider mentioned, it's difficult to put him on any other team in the league and that team not improving due to his presence.

However, lots of great points in favor of Curry or CP3 as well. No legitimate gripes from me if those three are ranked in the top 3. Their differences are on the margins.