Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Baby Boomers and Millennials

A. Talk about some of things you like and dislike about these generations

B. Willingly concede something about whichever you belong to.

Baby Boomers

They were dreamers who excelled at taking advantage of circumstances, and in some cases surviving bad times (farmers in the 80's).

These motherfuckers know how to work, man. Regardless of how unrealistic they are about evaluating work ethic for younger generations, it can't be denied that the baby boomers put in the hours and the physical toll. While their attitude of "I earned it" is a bit misguided, they definitely worked harder than future generations

Dislikes:

They simply have no concept of what student debt is today. They think everybody has the ability to pay their loans off in a fucking jiffy when the only way we're able to do that is if we find ideal circumstances where room and board are covered (some people actually find resorts that offer this straight out of college and put every dime they make toward loans).

They seem to not understand that technological advances and labor advances have made workplaces in general a lot less demanding, and that we are not required to break our fucking backs to make next to nothing.

They don't want to pay anybody anything because they think they had it as rough as we did, financially, and they're wrong.

Millennials

They embrace technology as a whole and understand that its constant evolution and development is only going to benefit the world.

They are pushing to make work places easier on the average citizen, and are helping companies become more efficient without driving their employees into the ground.

They are generally liberal, and in a lot of cases a liberal point of view is simply the right point of view, but old school conservatives are so uncomfortable with it that they call it "liberal." Millennials are very much aiding in the fight for overall equality.

Dislikes:

There's an overbearing sense of entitlement in regard to many things, and it's downright sickening the things millennials will complain about. From the overwhelming amount of shitty young workers who think they can punch in and fuck off but still deserve their paycheck to the hard partying crowd with no concept of the money they're spending. There are quite a few young people in this country who are so deep in debt that you'd think they were irresponsible baby-boomers.

Their work ethic is downright pathetic when you see it in action. There are exceptions, obviously, but many millennials don't seem to understand that, while we don't have to break out backs like our fathers and mothers, work still involves breaking a goddamn sweat.

They aren't changing the political landscape. Fear-mongering and blatant lies are still dictating the political future of this country and the generation that has the power to change that is not doing enough, right now.

The Admission:

We millennials are really fucking lazy. It's extremely frustrating in a work environment, especially manual labor. Tasks get lengthened, deadlines get pushed back. Nothing gets done because nobody knows how to work. I don't know how we can fix it.

Generation Z: Lol we're a fucking joke.

I'm right on the cusp of gen x and y. I don't really belong to either generation so I always feel like an outsider in these types of conversations.

I dunno, I think in the jobs I've had, most of the stereotypes did not hold up for most people.

Remember Bware, the Baby Boomers are the ones who became super protective parents. We Millennials grew up feeling safe from the time we were born. If you believe the stereotype that we're coddled, then you have to place the blame on the people who started the coddling. Back in the 80's and early 90's crime was much worse than now, so parents got more strict about where kids were going and what time they were out, etc...

Yes, parents were protective, but are we really content with saying "it's ma and pa's fault"?

I think the major defining characteristic of the millennials is that they don't have money. I think a large part of why they're dissatisfied with their jobs is because its not what they went to school for, but are too scared to move on to something else, because they cant afford a stretch of unemployment with their loans. In fact, most claims about why millennials are the way they are is due to money issues more than anything else.

I don't think that can be argued. Like I said, the Baby Boomers can't seem to fathom what student debt is these days.

Yes, parents were protective, but are we really content with saying "it's ma and pa's fault"?

It's not all their fault, but I think they need to be held accountable for their share of the blame. People can and do change as they age... but the fact of the matter is we can only grow and learn in the environments we are exposed to. And it takes a long time to outgrow the environment we grew up in as children. In fact I would argue most people never fully grow out of the mindsets and values they learned as children.

Who were the people who started giving out participation trophies? Not Millennials. We're just now becoming parents. The older generations like to criticize us, but they were the ones who raised us.

Every person has a choice over what they do with their life - and it's up to them to live with the consequences. I think my generation is pathetic because no one is willing to make the hard choices because they're afraid of the consequences. You can blame that on parenting all you want, but at the end of the day it's still their prerogative to make their own choices. My parents put me in a strong position to have that mentality, but it was still up to me to choose my own path. I don't know if that's what this thread is even about, lol, but I just felt the need to share my opinion on it.

Ok but isn't that the point?

"It's up to us to live with the consequences" "No one makes hard choices because they are afraid of the consequences"

Many kids grow up not even knowing what consequences are... Our parents made it OK for us to avoid dealing with consequences... we never had to be afraid to ask for things to be made easier for us, because our parents often went out of their way to do it anyway... hope that makes sense.

Ok but isn't that the point?

"It's up to us to live with the consequences" "No one makes hard choices because they are afraid of the consequences"

Many kids grow up not even knowing what consequences are... Our parents made it OK for us to avoid dealing with consequences... we never had to be afraid to ask for things to be made easier for us, because our parents often went out of their way to do it anyway... hope that makes sense.

I don't see that as enabling anyone. My parents did everything in their power to make things easy on me. In fact, I really can't remember any rough times I had in my childhood except for my dad traveling all the time for work (he hasn't permanently lived in the same house as us since I was in second grade) and family members dying. I may have just developed different in terms of life philosophy, but after I reached a certain age I just kind of assumed it was my responsibility to learn how to act. I don't like putting the blame on anyone else, because then that just furthers the stereotype that our generation can't take responsibility for its own actions.

An example: I don't like when people talk about rape culture. Even if you argue it exists, it takes away accountability from people who act in a "rape-y" way. There was a guy at my HS who was being investigated for rape, and he pretty much said (before he got expelled) that he thought what he did (which ended up being rape) was ok, because society had taught him that. I thought it was a load of shit, because he was clearly not taking responsibility for what he had done. He didn't learn ANYTHING from that, because he had the easy cop-out of "Someone else taught me it was ok, so I blindly accepted it." He decided (either consciously or subconsciously) to act a way that someone else told him to act, and that's his fault. No one else is at fault for that. That is 100% on him. Rape culture goes away the second people start thinking for themselves and rejecting it.

So, I don't blame parents for how kids act. At some point, I kind of expect people to take a step back and look at what they've been taught. Senior year of high school, I analyzed everything that I had ever been told was right and wrong and decided what values I actually believed in. The result? I went from being blindingly liberal to a much more moderate person (politically) and also developed a personal ideology that I felt more comfortable with, because I had consciously decided to accept it.

I could write a bunch of paragraphs explaining why, but I just don't agree. It's just a difference of opinion, that's all.

I don't see that as enabling anyone. My parents did everything in their power to make things easy on me. In fact, I really can't remember any rough times I had in my childhood except for my dad traveling all the time for work (he hasn't permanently lived in the same house as us since I was in second grade) and family members dying. I may have just developed different in terms of life philosophy, but after I reached a certain age I just kind of assumed it was my responsibility to learn how to act. I don't like putting the blame on anyone else, because then that just furthers the stereotype that our generation can't take responsibility for its own actions.

An example: I don't like when people talk about rape culture. Even if you argue it exists, it takes away accountability from people who act in a "rape-y" way. There was a guy at my HS who was being investigated for rape, and he pretty much said (before he got expelled) that he thought what he did (which ended up being rape) was ok, because society had taught him that. I thought it was a load of shit, because he was clearly not taking responsibility for what he had done. He didn't learn ANYTHING from that, because he had the easy cop-out of "Someone else taught me it was ok, so I blindly accepted it." He decided (either consciously or subconsciously) to act a way that someone else told him to act, and that's his fault. No one else is at fault for that. That is 100% on him. Rape culture goes away the second people start thinking for themselves and rejecting it.

So, I don't blame parents for how kids act. At some point, I kind of expect people to take a step back and look at what they've been taught. Senior year of high school, I analyzed everything that I had ever been told was right and wrong and decided what values I actually believed in. The result? I went from being blindingly liberal to a much more moderate person (politically) and also developed a personal ideology that I felt more comfortable with, because I had consciously decided to accept it.

You are Sarge are saying completely different things. Sarge--Baby boomer parents were so protective that their children never faced adversity, and it's affecting their adult lives. OSUViking--You can't blame parents for the actions of their kids when said actions are bad/violent/illegal.

You're both right. Relax

You are Sarge are saying completely different things. Sarge--Baby boomer parents were so protective that their children never faced adversity, and it's affecting their adult lives. OSUViking--You can't blame parents for the actions of their kids when said actions are bad/violent/illegal.

You're both right. Relax

I wasn't trying to be hostile. Sorry if I came off that way. :p

FWIW, I didn't think your post came across as hostile at all.

• Upvote 1