Sign in to follow this  
Zack_of_Steel

Todd Haley told teams he wasn't interested in a HC job

Todd Haley told people he wasnt interested in head coaching jobs

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 28, 2016, 10:45 AM EST

During the recent coach-hiring cycle, seven teams hired without interviewing a former head coach who ran one of the most dynamic offenses in the league last year.

And thats apparently because Todd Haley chose to not participate.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers offensive coordinator told people he was not interested in any head coaching jobs this year and so there was no publicly stated interest in him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/28/todd-haley-told-people-he-wasnt-interested-in-head-coaching-jobs/]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/28/todd-haley-told-people-he-wasnt-interested-in-head-coaching-jobs/

I loathed the idea of him coming to Pittsburgh, because I thought he was a cunt of a HC, but I respected his offensive mind and his success in AZ. I didn't know, however, that his dad was the Director of Player Personnel for the Steelers from '71-'90 and that he grew up with the team as a ball boy. It's been the perfect match since he's arrived in Pitt, I'm glad he's made me eat my words, and I hope he's our OC for many years to come.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 2

I was worried that he would get another shot as a HC and leave here. I knew he would get interest, but I'm glad he didn't want to leave Pitt.

Yeah, waiting for Tomlin to get fired isn't a good plan since Pittsburgh doesn't like to fire head coaches, and he's only 43 so it's tough to see him retiring any time soon (Cowher was 50 when he resigned and went to the booth, and I don't know that Tomlin has the same type of position waiting for him) One thing I could see happening (which would actually be pretty cool IMO) is if he came back to coach at William and Mary. Our current coach (Jimmye Laycock) is a legend so it's not like he's gonna get run off, but he's 67 and has been the head coach since 1980 so I could see him retiring soon, and if Pittsburgh gets tired of him it'd be a pretty good way to slide him out. FWIW, Tomlin did spend some time as an assistant coach at a few colleges before he started coaching pros.

As for Haley, I can definitely understand wanting to wait for the right opportunity, especially when you've already had one HC job go poorly. Or maybe there were parts of the job he really didn't enjoy and he's fine just running an offense, can't say I'd blame him for that either.

Edited by oochymp

I think it's a combination of things, but the fact that he's from Pittsburgh and grew up with the organization is a heavy factor.

“It’s a great accomplishment to be a head coach,” Haley said. “I was able to get to the playoffs and win the division one year. But, it’s not necessarily all it’s cracked up to be if you got into this business when nobody was making any money and you were doing it for the love of coaching. It’s fun coaching, and you get to coach a lot more as a position coach or as a coordinator. And to be in Pittsburgh, and to be home, to be part of this great organization – I’m not in any hurry to go anywhere.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/07/28/does-todd-haley-want-to-be-a-head-coach-again/

• Upvote 1