Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Grade Your Positional Groups

Evaluate your team's positional groups with a general grade scale.

:Vikings:

Quarterback (Teddy Bridgewater, Shaun Hill): B-

The quarterback position in Minnesota is adequate with a solid starter with room to improve and one of the better backup quarterbacks in the league. It's not where it needs to be but it shouldn't be a week-to-week hindrance.

Running Back (Adrian Peterson, Jerick McKinnon, Matt Asiata): A-

This grade should be an obvious A, but Peterson has to clean up his fumbling issues, and McKinnon needs more usage in the coming season because he's the perfect running back to pair with Peterson. While McKinnon has blazing speed, perhaps his best attribute is how quickly he hits the hole and maximizes each carry. With teams scheming against Peterson's shiftiness, the quick-hitting McKinnon has a chance to shine in 2016. Asiata is a very solid third back who is more than adequate if needed, but should not get too many carries if backs 1 and 2 stay healthy.

Wide Receiver (Diggs, Treadwell, Wright, Johnson, Theilen, Patterson): B-

While Minnesota lacks the classic speed threat (Patterson should be that receiver, but he was much more raw than they realized), they still have playmakers on the outside. Stefon Diggs was perhaps the second best rookie receiver last year, showcasing fluid route running and sure hands. Treadwell may not be a burner but his catch radius is excellent, and I look for him to make plays on sloppy Bridgewater passes. Jarius Wright continues to be an underrated WR who generally makes 2-3 important catches per game. He's not on the scouting report, but he should be. Adam Theilen is an excellent special teamer with good size and sure hands when called upon. Cordarrelle Patterson is a great kick returner but if he never sees the field otherwise, that's all he'll ever be.

Tight End (Kyle Rudolph, MyCole Pruitt, Rhett Ellison): B+

There's no Gronk in this group but Rudolph is a solid tight end, though I personally believe Pruitt is going to make him expendable. Rhett Ellison is a great blocking tight end who the Vikings target unexpectedly 1-2 times a game, and Ellison usually makes the most of his catches.

Offensive Line (Boone, Smith, Kalil, Fusco, Sullivan, Berger, Harris, Cummings, Loadholdt): B

The B grade is based entirely on potential. I listed the guys who have a realistic shot to make the game-day roster, but I don't anticipate so many active players. Apparently the competitions are already underway and I'm hoping Minnesota can find a way to put the 5 best players on the field. What will define Minnesota's season is if the protection is better for Teddy Bridgewater.

Defensive Line (Griffin, Floyd, Joseph, Robison, Hunter, Johnson, Trattou): A+

This is perhaps the strongest positional group on Minnesota's roster, and again I listed guys I think will make the roster without question. Obviously a couple more spots will fill out with guys like Scott Crichton or Shamar Stephen, but there will be competition. Griffin and Hunter are going to terrorize QBs on passing downs, and Joseph and Floyd make up one of the best DT pairings in the league. Barring injury, defensive line is a non-issue for Minnesota.

Linebacker (Barr, Kendricks, Greenway, Cole, Robison, Watts): C

I understand that a C grade is preposterous when you see the first two names on this list, but both Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks have missed games due to injury in their short careers, and I do not trust the depth behind them. When healthy, Barr and Kendricks spend most of the time as the only two linebackers on the field, as both are great against the run, sideline-to-sideline linebackers who also excel in coverage. These are two great young players, but I want to see them play an entire season before I trust this positional group. After Barr and Kendricks, the dropoff is steep. Greenway is slow and becoming a worse tackler every year, and a liability in coverage. Audie Cole is fun to root for but has never taken the next step. Edmond Robison was a 7th rounder. Brandon Watts? Who? When healthy, the LB corps in Minnesota is B+. It'd be an obvious A if the depth was better.

Secondary (Rhodes, Waynes, Newman, Munnerlyn, Sherels, Smith, Sendejo, Harris): A

I love this secondary. Xavier Rhodes is not a definite shut down corner, but he will minimize the impact of any WR he faces. Trae Waynes will hopefully be a starter this coming season, and I look forward to seeing his ball-hawking skills come into play. Terence Newman is an ageless wonder, able to step in and and start if needed. Captain Munnerlyn has established himself as one of the best slot corners in the league, and while I really hated him in his first season, he has gained my trust. Marcus Sherels is an excellent PR who plays hard when needed at corner. Smith and Harris should make a nice safety combo, unless Harris is beaten out by Andrew Sendejo, but I hope that doesn't happen. Sendejo is fine at safety, but he's reckless. He tries to hit people constantly, but isn't careful enough to avoid crushing his own teammates now and then. He needs to be a special teamer.

Fun fact: Former Illinois State QB Tre Roberson is currently on the Vikings roster playing at CB. He'll never make the opening roster but let's see if he can make such a drastic transition and make it in the league.

Special Teams, Kicking (Locke, Walsh): C

Walsh has got to make up for his missed chip shot against Seattle last year, and hopefully Jeff Locke is a thing of the past after training camp. Walsh can be a great kicker, but he has to get his head right. Jeff Locke is a terrible punter and needs to be replaced.

Special Teams, Coverage: A

The Vikings kick and punt coverage has gotten much better under Zimmer's staff and I simply do not worry about it anymore.

Special Teams, Returning: A

Nobody has it better than us with Sherels at PR and Patterson at KR.

Edited by BwareDWare94

QB:- C+, Sam Bradford as a starting QB is in the bottom 3rd of the league pretty easily but the Eagles back ups are decent with one of them having a shit load of talent. He's a rookie though and you can't put much stock into him just yet

RB: C+, Matthews has a fumbling problem and an injury problem but it's tough to deny the guys talent. He's a big, physical runner with good speed. Still, he seems to pick bad spots to fumble and I don't think he's ever played a full season. Then you have the dynamic Darren Sproles who is truly the most dangerous weapons in the game. Problem is he's getting older and his size prevents him from taking on too much of the load. After those 2 it's some young guys. Wendell Smallwood is a nice receiving threat and serviceable runner. Nice rookie with a little potential. Kenjon Barner might not make it on the roster, but he's decent. He has speed and can catch passes. He's a good 4th RB or practice squad guy. Wouldn't be surprised to see him make the roster for his ability to return punts though.

WR: B, I really think this group is going to be a lot better than it was last year. Chris Givens isn't a super star at this stage of the game, but defenses have to respect his speed. That's going to open things up for everybody else. I also have faith that Nelson Agholor is going to play better by being in year 2 and not missing the whole off season. Rueben Randle isn't a star, but he's a solid player who is at this point a lot better than Josh Huff or Nelson Agholor.

TE: B+, I really think this is a strength of the team here. I think that Sam Bradford really hampers the development of Ertz. He's a good vertical weapon and I think he's just going to continue to get better. Brent Celek is a warrior. You always know what you're going get from him. Solid player, great leader. Trey Burton isn't a bad TE either. I think he'd be a 2nd TE on a lot of teams, but he's there to step up if somebody gets hurt and he's a pretty good special teamer.

OL: B-, If this unit stays healthy this year this could go up significantly. The Eagles upgraded the the RG position which they absolutely had to. They also brought in some depth with a veteran in Wisniewski who has started a lot of games in this league. We know that Kelce, Peters and Johnson are really high caliber players, but Kelce and Peters have missed too much time the past couple years and Peters is getting older and breaking down a little

DL: B+, Brandon Graham and Vinny Curry are going to show that they're some of the best edge rushers when they play with their hand in the dirt that there is in the league. Then you have Bennie Logan and Fletcher Cox to make up one of the best interior defensive lines in the game. The problem with this unit is depth because while the starters fit the scheme, there's still a lot of back ups that are really 3-4 guys.

LB: C, Jordan Hicks played like a star his rookie year, but he has a really ugly injury history and that scares me. I wanted to give this group a higher grade, but I'm not sure what Mychal Kendricks we're going to get this year, the good or the bad and Bradham is a solid starter but nothing to write home about. This group is another Jordan Hicks injury away from being pretty bad honestly because I'm not crazy about the depth behind these guys. If we get good Kendricks and Hicks stays healthy though this could turn into a strength.

CB: C, All these guys have had season ending surgeries, even the second year players Sheppard and Rowe. I think they have 4 talented guys. McKelvin, Rowe Sheppard and Carroll all have the potential to play at a high level but Sheppard hasn't played a down, Rowe has only played a few games and Carroll has had one season where he didn't play like shit. McKelvin has always been a solid player when healthy but you don't really tend to get healthier as you get older in this business.

S: A, I like the starters a lot. Jenkins and McCleod are both very good. Very versatile players, very smart players. They're going to have our secondary line up right at least even if we have to use some guys off the street if we have too many injuries at CB lol. I like the depth behind them too. Reynolds and Mills are going to be solid and I think they'll both be special teams assets

Special Teams: B-, if it wasn't for FG kicking issues last year I'd give this unit an A. Our punter is a beast and our return and coverage teams are very very good, but missed FG's cost this team more than 1 game last year.

Eagles

QB Bradford C- not happy about the qb situation at all

HB Mathews,Sporles D + this is probably the worse RB group in the nfl

WR Matthews,Agholor,Randle,Givens,Huff C this group was awful last year don't expect much better this year

TE Ertz,Celek and Burton A- I like the 3 TE's in the roster and all have good things to bring to the table

OL Peters,Barbe,Kelce,Brooks,Johnson A I'm like our OL alot better than years past Johnson is a Top 2 RT and Brooks is a very good guard something we haven't had in awhile.

DL Graham,Logan,Cox,Curry and Barwin A + 1 of the best group of 4-3 DL Man and could be a very dangerous group

Lb Kendricks,Hicks,Bradham C + only reason is really low because la k of depth behind these 3. 1 gets hurt we are royal screwed

CB Rowe,Carrol,Mckelvin,Brooks, F this is a might just be the worst CB group in the nfl not 1 guy to call a number 1 or number 2 cb.

S Jenkins and McLeod A+ I haven't been this happy about the Eagles Safety core since Dawkins was leading our Defense.

Special Teams B+ our special teams have our best assist last 2 years

Edited by WeaponX20
  • Upvote 1

This sounds fun, I'll give it a shot:

:Titans:

Quarterback (Marcus Mariota, Matt Cassel): B+

it wouldn't be hard to argue Mariota for an A, but I have trouble giving that high a grade to a second year player who was hurt so much as a rookie, Cassel is an adequate backup but nothing more, we also currently have Alex Tanney on the roster but I doubt he gets anything more than a practice squad spot

Bottom line: Good but young, decent depth

Running Back (DeMarco Murray, Derrick Henry, David Cobb, Jalston Fowler (FB), Dexter McCluster, Antonio Andrews): A-

First off, yes, I did not list Bishop Sankey, I'm hoping this is the end of the line for him in Tennessee, I had high hopes for him but he just hasn't panned out. Second, at least one of the guys I listed will not be on the roster, we're not carrying six backs. I have them listed in likelihood of making the team, I'd rather see us keep Andrews than McCluster but I think McCluster would provide a better change of style from our top two. Now that that's out of the way, this group was a D+ at best going into the offseason, but the additions of Murray and Henry make this a formidable group. Cobb should be good, though he will have a limited role, he missed half of last season and a lot of offseason work so I really don't know what he can do, but he'll be fine behind Murray and Henry. Fowler played capably at FB last year, though I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't end up on the final roster just because of the nature of the position.

Bottom line: Solid at the top end, decent depth

Wide Receiver (Dorial Green-Beckham, Rishard Matthews, Kendall Wright, Justin Hunter, Harry Douglas, Tajae Sharpe, Tre McBride): C-

This is probably a generous grade, we've got a lot of decent receivers, but none that are really that good. This list is how I would hope things would shake out (actually, I want to see McBride higher in the pecking order, but I'm trying to be a little realistic) with DGB stepping up his game and becoming the #1 WR he should be capable of being, Matthews sliding in as a capable #2, and Kendall Wright moving into the slot, which is where he's at his best. From there, Hunter needs to turn his potential into something, I'm hoping Douglas still has something in the tank, but he's probably mostly here for leadership, Sharpe was a fifth rounder this year and has been looking good in camp, and McBride spent most of last year on the practice squad and looked a little lost at times when he got promoted due to injuries. Like with RBs I don't think all of these guys will be on the roster, and I think McBride and Hunter (in that order) are probably the most likely to get cut (I think I'm the only one talking about McBride like he has any shot at making the roster).

Bottom line: Weak at the top, decent depth

Tight End (Delanie Walker, Craig Stevens, Anthony Fasano): A+

This is probably our best group, Walker is a top five TE in the league, Stevens is a very good blocker with decent hands, and Fasano is a solid TE, we've got a couple other young guys on the roster right now, but I don't think we keep more than these 3 (though we started the season with 5 last year, so what do I know?)

Bottom line: Great group top to bottom

Offensive Line (Taylor Lewan, Jeremiah Poutasi, Ben Jones, Chance Warmack, Jack Conklin, Quinton Spain, Brian Schwenke, Sebastian Tretola, Andy Gallik): C

On paper, this should be a strong group, in practice I think a B- is generous. Losing Byron Bell hurts, but with what we've invested in this group we should be able to adjust. At this point, the only real proven guy on this line is Jones, Lewan started playing better towards the end of last season and Poutasi and Warmack are both decent (which is a lot less than expected from Warmack) and Conklin should be okay, but as a rookie there's no telling. The depth is a little shaky, I think that's where the Bell injury hurts us the most, Schwenke, Gallik, and Tretola give us decent interior depth but we don't have much behind the starting tackles.

Bottom line: Good on paper, but underperforming, poor depth

Defensive Line (Jurrell Casey, Al Woods, DaQuan Jones, Angelo Blackson, Austin Johnson, Ropati Pitoitua): A-

Casey is one of the best DLinemen in the game and Woods and Jones are both capable starters, and we've got a decent group behind them.

Bottom line: Solid across at the top and decent depth

Linebacker (Brian Orakpo, Avery Williamson, Wesley Woodyard, Derrick Morgan, Kevin Dodd, Deiontrez Mount, Nate Plamer, Sean Spence): B+

Orakpo and Morgan are a nasty pairing on the outside but both have injury history, we now have Kevin Dodd for added security there. At the interior, Woodyard is serviceable and Williamson is turning into a very solid piece. The other three should provide quality depth.

Bottom line: Solid group top to bottom

Secondary (Da'Norris Searcy, Rashad Johnson, Jason McCourty, Perrish Cox, Kevin Byard, Brice McCain, Marqueston Huff): C+

This is a very different group from last year, hopefully different means better, it can't mean worse, right? Out of our presumed top six for this year, two were on our roster last year (Cox and McCourty) and one of those spent most of the year injured. Searcy and Johnson (both free agent acquisitions) should provide a solid safety pairing and Kevin Byard (draft pick) provides a solid third option there. McCourty and Cox should likewise provide a good pairing at the top of our CB group and McCain is a much better option off the bench than anyone we had last year. Huff is a great depth piece because he can play anywhere. Blidi Wreh-Wilson may stick around, but he was so bad last year he's gonna be at best a special teamer.

Bottom line: Should be good top to bottom, but nothing special

Special Teams, Kicking (Brett Kern, Ryan Succop): A

One of the best punters in the game and a reliable place kicker, you can't ask for more than that.

Special Teams, Coverage: D-

It's hard to really know with a new coaching staff, but we've been terrible on special teams ever since we let Lowry go. Last season we were 31st in the league in opponent kickoff and punt return average, I hope we'll be better but I have no reason to think we will be.

Special Teams, Returning: D+

We've got a couple guys who should be good returners (might be how McCluster holds his roster spot) but we were in the bottom half of the league in kickoff and punt return average last year. Again, the new coaching staff might make a difference, but I gotta see it to believe it.

Edited by oochymp

I'll give my go at the Titans

QB: B-

Mariota looks like he has what it takes, but already has two knee injuries in his career. Matt Cassel sucks dick but it's whatever. I want to see more from Alex Tanney, impressed me in limited time vs the Colts last year.

RB: B-

This is a position that can bump itself up in to the A grades. Murray is coming off a down year but has proven he can be one of the best backs in football and we're putting him back in the right system. We're probably the perfect scheme fit for Derrick Henry as well, but I have my doubts that he translates well to the NFL. Andrews and McCluster are as good as you can ask for in terms of RB depth. I'm gonna count Jalston Fowler in to this as well, though he's technically a fullback. He's a solid blocker.

WR: C

Wright is a solid #2. Rishard Matthews played well in Miami but was opposite a true #1 in Jarvis Landry, so not sure that success continues here unless...Dorial Green-Beckham continues his development. Showed flashes of being a #1 threat last year and got better as the year went on, but we've seen that so many times as Titans fans that it's hard to get too excited. Harry Douglas and Justin Hunter offer depth..and that's about all they offer. Hoping reuniting Douglas with Robiskie will bring him back to at least being a 600-700 yard receiver, but who knows at this point.

TE: A

Delanie Walker might be the best tight end in football that's name isn't Rob Gronkowski. Anthony Fasano is a solid #2 with very reliable hands and Craig Stevens is one of the best blocking tight ends in football and effective enough as a receiver.

OL: C

We've got Taylor Lewan and uh...yeah, Taylor Lewan is about it in terms of being anything near great on our o-line. Ben Jones is a giant upgrade at center, but it's not because he's an incredible center, it's because every center we've had since Mawae(outside of Velasco who only started one year because Webster/Munchak were stupid and cut him a year after he played like a top 10/top 15 C just so we could start Brian Schwenke) has sucked insane amounts of cock. Jones is a decent center, though.

Losing Byron Bell is a much bigger hit than the outside NFL world might realize. He played very well at LG before being forced to move to right tackle when Poutasi was playing less effectively than a turnstile on the edge. Him playing LG would have made the left side of our line solid with Ben Jones coming in at center. It's looking like the LG job will go to either Poutasi or Tretola now. Poutasi does have the strength to play inside and he was an ok run blocker, but his pass blocking needs work, even if it is just inside. Tretola is an unknown being a 6th round pick, but he didn't allow a single sack at Arkansas last year.

Warmack has been inconsistent at RG but overall average. In his defense though, he's never actually gotten to play between two players that weren't completely terrible. It's always been at least one of the C or RTs being awful. He's also returning to the same blocking scheme that made him successful at Bama, so hopefully playing between Jones and who we're hoping is immediate impact player in Conklin as well as the scheme switch makes him better.

Conklin is gonna start at RT. Him, Chance and Jones working together in a power blocking scheme has the chance to be exciting, but it's all speculation at this point.

DL: A-

Jurrell Casey is in the group with guys like Wilkerson and Cox to be considered the 2nd best 3-4 end in football behind JJ Watt. DaQuan Jones across from him played extremely well, especially in the run game. Al Woods was one of the better run stuffing nose tackles last year per PFF and offers consistency there. Karl Klug and Angelo Blackson both offer good depth, and Austin Johnson comes in as a rookie that has the ability to play at all spots along the line.

LB: B+

The starting corp of Morgan-Wiliamson-Woodyard-Orakpo is rock solid, and Morgan was off to a 4.5 sacks in 4 games start to last year before hurting his shoulder. Orakpo offered 7 sacks on the year despite receiving pretty much all the pass protection attention after Morgan's injury. Williamson is one of the better up and coming ILBs in the game and Woodyard continued his steady, solid play that he's provided his entire career, He had PFF's highest run stop percentage among ILBs. Where the issue comes in for the LBs is in depth.

Mount returning from injury, Dodd from the draft and Spence from FA should help that, though.

DBs: C-

We're solid at safety with Johnson and Searcy(and hopefully Byard becomes as good as I think he can be), but CB is a whole 'nother story. McCourty is good, but he's dealt with groin injuries two years in a row. Him staying on the field isn't a certainty. Cox is a solid #2/#3 type of guy but if McCourty goes down he's not capable of dealing with #1 threats. Brice McCain should be fine back in LeBeau's system, but again, not a guy that can cover #1s.Riggs showed some solid signs to be a good depth corner. Wreh-Wilson is a mess.

Our one hope in being able to eventually take over for McCourty might be Mr. Irrelevant himself, Kalan Reed. PFF absolutely loves him, rating him as a 2nd to 3rd round pick and 6th best CB prospect in the class.

1. Kalan Reed, Southern Mississippi

One of the most underrated players in the draft, Southern Mississippi’s Kalan Reed has big time potential, and shot onto people’s radars with an excellent performance at his pro day in which he jumped 41.5 inches in the vertical (which would have tied for the best mark at the combine) and ran a 4.38 40-yard dash time. Add to that the fact that Reed had the third-best PFF coverage grade in the class, notching four picks and 14 PDs over the season, and you have a player that ticks all the boxes. Reed made some of the best plays of the season among the cornerback group and has the potential to be a quality player at the next level

Their pro comparison for him was Marcus Trufant. We'll see if he matches their hype for him.

K/P: B+

Kern is one of the better punters in all of football. Succop is as consistent as you can ask for inside of 50, and while he has the accuracy to make it from there, he lacks the power. 53 is about as far as I'm comfortable with him kicking, he'd need wind at his back to kick any further with any consistency.

And while that may not sound like a huge problem, having to punt from the 37 instead of kick a field goal can hurt at times. I like Succop, but I miss the days when we were pretty much guaranteed 3 points from 60 and closer with Bironas.

KR/PR: F-

Edited by .AirMcNair.

I forgot about Riggs and Reed, doesn't really change my analysis other than Wreh- Wilson is almost certainly gone and Huff may be out as well

I forgot about Riggs and Reed, doesn't really change my analysis other than Wreh- Wilson is almost certainly gone and Huff may be out as well

Wilson needs to be gone. Huff I haven't seen enough of him to make a call. Based off what we have, I could see him making it but as a backup.

Riggs can ball out. He just needs more reps and time. He has his work cut out from him but I liked when we picked him up. Hopefully he shows out to make the team.

Wilson needs to be gone. Huff I haven't seen enough of him to make a call. Based off what we have, I could see him making it but as a backup.

what I like about Huff, especially as a backup, is that he can play any spot in the secondary serviceably, but given what we've got ahead of him I wouldn't be disappointed if he's gone, and the fact that we haven't seen enough of him in two years to really know what he can do kinda tells me all I need to know, if he's back it'll be as a special teamer or deep depth

:Texans:

QB: N/A

-It's hard to give this position group a solid grade when Osweiler is such an unknown at this point with only seven starts under his belt. Weeden and Savage are quality depth though.

RB: B

-I was calling for the Texans to sign Lamar Miller before free agency began, so clearly I'm happy there. I just hope he can carry most of the load as Arian's replacement, because Blue and Grimes are JAG talents.

WR: B+

-Hopkins is an absolute stud and the arrow looks to be pointing up for Strong. Shorts is a reliable slot/gadget player. While I have high hopes for Fuller and Braxton, I don't think it'd be smart to factor these guys in my evaluation. Depending on what they do this season, the WRs could be bumped up to an A grade.

TE: D

-Easily the least talented position group on this team. I expect to see the Texans in a lot of 3WR sets this season.

OL: B-

-This is the position group I am most worried about heading into next season. Duane Brown is perhaps the most underrated Tackle in the business, but he's still recovering from a torn quad from last season. I do like the additions of Jeff Allen, Tony Bergstrom, and drafting Nick Martin, but it's the depth along the o-line that is truly frightening. The Texans cannot afford any injuries here.

DL: A

-Mercilus, Wilfork, Simon, and if Clowney keeps showing the improvement he made last season, watch out! ...Oh and that Watt guy is pretty good.

LB: B

-I like the tandem that Cushing and McKinney have going at the moment, but like the o-line it's the depth that scares me. Cushing is also getting to that point where the Texans need to seriously start looking for his replacement soon.

CB: A-

-Love this position group as a whole. The depth behind the starters is fantastic. J-Jo and Kareem make a fine tandem, and I'm expecting big things from Kevin Johnson in his 2nd year.

S: C+

-While I said Andre Hal was the most underrated Texan on the team, the bad grade mostly has to do with the depth and the other starting safety spot. There's potential here, but that's about all I can say.

K/P: B+

-Lechler is an above average punter and Novak is a reliable kicker with only distance being an issue for him.

RS: C

-The return game has been a problem for a while now. Luckily the Texans have drafted some electric speedsters that could turn this mediocre grade around. I expect rookie Tyler Ervin to win the job as the return specialist. He reminds me a lot of Sproles.