Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Alright TGP, Running back time

Yall know the drill. Give me discussion, give me something besides just a rankings.

1. Le'Veon Bell :Steelers: : This guy can do it all. Passing, blocking, running, he's the most dynamic threat in the league from the RB position. His single issue is health. If Bell can remain healthy, he has a chance to be the best we've seen in a long long time.

2. Adrian Peterson :Vikings: : AP is still All-Day. He's still the best pure runner in the league, and the Vikings offense runs through him, which makes his job a bit harder than the #1 on this list. AP doesn't have a bunch of threats to take attention off of him and he still gets it done.

3. Jamaal Charles :Chiefs: : Charles issue is the same as Bell's: remaining on the field. When he's healthy, he's one of the most dynamic threats in the league. As Captain Check-Down's go-to guy, he also racks up a lot of yards in the passing game.

4. LeSean McCoy :Bills: : Shady didn't have that great of a year last year, but another year in the Bills offense may smooth things over for him. Having a dual-threat at QB does tend to open up things in the running game.

5. Eddie Lacy :Packers: : Last year was a bit of an aberration. At least, so the Packers hope. Lacy is a fantastic threat out of the backfield when he's in shape. Just cut back a bit on the chunky soup.

6. Todd Gurley :Rams: : I completely forgot about Gurley when I originally made this list. Todd Gurley is a force of nature running the ball and will be in the top-3 in short order. Just need to see a bit more out of him first.

7. Matt Forte :Jets: : Forte is still one of the best dual threats in the game at the RB position, and instantly gives the Jets a reliable veteran in the backfield. He's on the back-9 of his career, but still a great back.

8. Doug Martin :Bucs: : Muscle Hamster is a bruising power back that I think gets buried in these lists because the team he's on is not very good. But Martin is a top-10 back in the league and has fantastic vision. And when he is caught, he is hard to bring down.

9. Lamar Miller :Texans: : This is more of a projection, but Miller has a rather high YPC, he simply wasn't given the ball much in Miami. With DeAndre Hopkins taking the pressure off the run-game if Brock is at all serviceable, look for Miller to have the best year he's ever had running the ball.

10. David Johnson :Cardinals: : Again, more of a projection, but I really liked what I saw out of this guy. He was about the only Cardinal to have a good NFCCG and through the year, when he got touches, he made the most of them. Arians simply wouldn't use him as much as he should have. This year, that changes, and so does Johnson's production.

Just missed: Jeremy Hill, Thomas Rawls, Jonathan Stewart, DeMarco Murray

Edited by Thanatos

1. Adrian Peterson :Vikings:

2. Jamaal Charles :Chiefs:

3. Leveon Bell :Steelers:

4. David Johnson :Cardinals:

5. LeSean McCoy :Bills:

6. Todd Gurley :Rams:

7. Matt Forte :Jets:

8. Doug Martin :Bucs:

9. Thomas Rawls :Seahawks:

10. Eddie Lacy :Packers:

Ugh... runningbacks man. There are so many problems at the top end, I miss the days of LT, Curtis Martin, Shaun Alexander, etc. It was easy back then. Now... not so much. I'm going to go heavier on projections here rather than proven talent simply because I think the best guys right now are guys without a lot of mileage.

1. Jamaal Charles, :Chiefs:

I still think he's the best back in football. The ACL injury is scary but we've seen players recover from that kind of injury before. I'll believe in JC.

2. Adrian Peterson, :Vikings:

I pretty much have to, right? As a pure runner, he's absolutely great. Sure he can't run it out of the shotgun, or catch a pass in the flat and make magic happen, or even attempt a block, but the purple slave can sure hit a hole with a full head of steam. If he wasn't such a contrast with his team's QB, the Vikings would be in discussion for the best offense in the NFC.

3. Todd Gurley, :Rams:

Projection pick number 1. Love the way this guy runs, he's got that great mix of power and speed. He might only be a second year player, but he's gonna be something special.

4. Le'Veon Bell, :Steelers:

Look, his talent can't be denied. As an all around back, you're happy no matter where he is on the field because he's doing the right thing at the right time. The problem is there are some major buts. He's on the NFL's drug watch list, he's missed quite a few games due to injury in his career. Availability is the best ability for runningbacks, and he hasn't been available when the Steelers have needed him the most.

5. Lamar Miller, :Texans:

This was a great pickup for the Texans. Miller has always flashed gamebreaking speed, but in Miami his coaches seemed to have a strong aversion to getting him the ball. If he breaks into the second level, he's gone. The Texans should be ready to give him the rock 20 times a game, either on the ground or through the air.

6. Thomas Rawls :Seahawks:

Major projection number 2. I absolutely loved what I saw from this guy in a short amount of work, he's got amazing balance and is just so hard to keep down. He has huge gamebreaking potential, and I'd love to see what he can do if he plays a whole season.

7. Doug Martin, :Bucs:

Is Doug Martin a contract year warrior? I hope not, if he played every year like he did last year he'd be my pick for 2nd place on this list and I might have given an argument for number 1. That's about the extent of my doubts, this guy is an every down back, an every down weapon and absolutely capable of demoralizing a defense.

8. David Johnson, :Cardinals:

Projection number 3! David Johnson was capable as a runner, receiver, returner and blocker, but he has butterfingers. Turnovers are backbreaking and you need to have a lot of talent, and help score a lot of points to make those fumbles forgivable. Good news is fumbling can be fixed by coaching, and once that flaw is fixed... you aren't stopping him.

9. DeMarco Murray, :Titans:

This is a huge projection coming from me, because when you look at the numbers from Philly, he doesn't deserve to be mentioned here. But I saw what he did in Dallas, and I know exactly what the Tennessee offense is gonna look like, and he's basically in the best position to succeed. And considering what he did in Dallas, he's a hell of a downhill runner.

10. Matt Forte, :Jets:

Just quiet consistency. He's gonna be the lynchpin of the Jets offense, and it's a good thing he doesn't need to go off the field for scheme purposes. He'll hit the hole with power, he'll catch and run with power, and he'll block with power. The Jets are gonna need all the power they can get, because Geno Smith is a plug.

Honorable Mentions: Devontae Freeman, Jonathan Stewart (slowing down?), LeSean McCoy, TJ Yeldon (futures pick)

1. Todd Gurley :Rams:

2. LeVeon Bell :Steelers:

3. Jamaal Charles :Chiefs:

4. Adrian Peterson :Vikings:

5. Thomas Rawls :Seahawks:

6. Chris Ivory :jags:

7. Dion Lewis :Pats:

8. Doug Martin :Bucs:

9. Jonathan Stewart :panthers:

10. Lamar Miller :Texans:

Edited by Chernobyl426

1.) LeVeon Bell Steelers