Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Missouri Governor appointed to represent indigent defendant

http://www.publicdefender.mo.gov/Newsfeed/Delegation_of_Representation.PDF

As of yet, I have not utilized this provision because it is my sincere belief that it is wrong to reassign an obligation placed on the state by the 6th and 14th Amendments to private attorneys who have in no way contributed to the current crisis. However, given the extraordinary circumstances that compel me to entertain any and all avenues for relief, it strikes me that I should begin with the one attorney in the state who not only created this problem, but is in a unique position to address it.

Therefore, pursuant to Section 600.042.5 and as Director of the Missouri State Public Defender System tasked with carrying out the State's obligation to ensure that poor people who face incarceration are afforded competent counsel in their defense, I hereby appoint you, Jeremiah W. (Jay) Nixon, Bar No. 29603, to enter your appearance as counsel of record in the attached case.

The full letter is worth the read as it lays out everything the Governor, Nixon, has done to kneecap the Public Defender's budget. I don't know how much ya'll know about this issue, but it's starting to get some serious attention. Most states are having issues with funding indigent defense, which is a Constitutional right, and Missouri is the second worst in funding for public defense. Hopefully this will help get the issue the attention needs and create some pressure to deal with it.

I hope he either makes a full 180 or makes such an ass of himself he ruins his reputation for good. If you can't have empathy for the poor, you shouldn't be in public office.

Certain things should immediately void public office positions, and this is one of them.

From what I learned when I went to school there, Missouri politics is a complete and utter shitshow. Anything they do right is an outlier.

If you don't have empathy for the poor you probably shouldn't be elected to public office in the first place, but that's just politics.

It's dumb fuckin' voters, that's what it is.