Sign in to follow this  
butta54

Should College Players Be Paid?

Jock sniffer fan huh....lol I like this guy. He is that special type of brand of troll the internet loves.

You are entitled to your opinion. Now I know how much weight that opinion actually holds.

You're 26 years old.You don't know how to investigate, question or analyze anything yet.

Nothing in that quote proves anything you believe to be true or me wrong . I haven't given a single opinion.ive said what actually is.

An opinion is a unsure belief.

A majority if not all star college jocks are paid. They told you straight to your face that's how it works with the SMU scandal,under the guise that it was a wrong doing. UNC,USC, Florida State..they are just deflection to make you think it's some sort of wrong when in fact it's the accepted norm.

Again, pay very close attention. Common sense tells you that when a 18-20 year old man walks onto a field of 60,000 screaming his name and another few million watching on tv.theres no way in hell he isn't getting paid.if you do that for no pay, you truly are the dumbest,dumb ass on earth.

Lol at the childish logic that picking up the tab for text books somehow is a compensation /trade off for that.

Edited by PhilElliot
  • Downvote 1

Are we agreeing or are you making my point? :shifty:

I don't know :p

You said those guys who aren't destined to be drafted value education the most. Maybe a mistype? They definitely need it the most.

No. When you break it down they are easily getting back at least $40k in value, probably more. Free tuition, room and board, meals, etc. Not to mention the cost if they are going out of state, to a private school, or do the 5th year masters eligibility. But it really is up to the individual to realize and get that value back. I would argue even the 1% who are destined to go pro would get value from an education in applicable majors like communications, marketing, finance, etc. Richard Sherman is a shining example of this.

The main issues I have with the system outside of the black market shit in recruiting that goes on behind the scenes:

1. The mindset of going to college just for football is just bad given the nature of the game and the competition.

2. Not everyone comes in prepared to make the most of their educational opportunities such as students not ready for college level courses.

3. I am willing to bet some coaches/programs do not respect the "student" part of student athlete and push kids away from making the most of their opportunity.

4. There is no other way to make it to the NFL other than by playing college football.

No. When you break it down they are easily getting back at least $40k in value, probably more. Free tuition, room and board, meals, etc. Not to mention the cost if they are going out of state, to a private school, or do the 5th year masters eligibility. But it really is up to the individual to realize and get that value back. I would argue even the 1% who are destined to go pro would get value from an education in applicable majors like communications, marketing, finance, etc. Richard Sherman is a shining example of this.

The main issues I have with the system outside of the black market shit in recruiting that goes on behind the scenes:

1. The mindset of going to college just for football is just bad given the nature of the game and the competition.

2. Not everyone comes in prepared to make the most of their educational opportunities such as students not ready for college level courses.

3. I am willing to bet some coaches/programs do not respect the "student" part of student athlete and push kids away from making the most of their opportunity.

4. There is no other way to make it to the NFL other than by playing college football.

You should def check out the episode link I posted. We def have some similar points of view.

I think being able to make money off their own likeness is at least reasonable.

• Upvote 1

You should def check out the episode link I posted. We def have some similar points of view.

Yeah, I watched most of it the other day. Your experience definitely helped confirm some things that I had thought originally on the topic. Especially, on the topic of how well athletes are treated. I had been to a football camp at UNC and we got exposure to a lot of the benefits the players do get. The thing that stands out in my memory was the athletic cafeteria they got. The food there was not only free for them but it was REALLY good and I am pretty sure you could go there for any meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Compared to an average college student, what they had there was definitely a luxury.

Yeah, I watched most of it the other day. Your experience definitely helped confirm some things that I had thought originally on the topic. Especially, on the topic of how well athletes are treated. I had been to a football camp at UNC and we got exposure to a lot of the benefits the players do get. The thing that stands out in my memory was the athletic cafeteria they got. The food there was not only free for them but it was REALLY good and I am pretty sure you could go there for any meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner). Compared to an average college student, what they had there was definitely a luxury.

Yeah, I mean like I said in the episode...I was an RA...and we lived well lol. I do this for a living, I know the ins and outs of expenses and trust me no athlete is struggling, especially the ones at big programs.

I had two brothers that went to U of I....one during the glory days of Zook and one during the recent trash days. Both were involved with the football program....one of my brother's good friends was a walk on and he was HOOKED up. Big 10 does not play. So I know the SEC doesn't.

The narrative about players being "broke" is all in comparison of how professional athletes are living because they play the same sport.

• Upvote 1

Female coaches, kickers, basketball and track stars, say hello....

On 3/27/2018 at 7:34 PM, butta54 said:

Jock sniffer fan huh....lol I like this guy. He is that special type of brand of troll the internet loves.

You are entitled to your opinion. Now I know how much weight that opinion actually holds.

More insults and deflection..but no ability  to prove me wrong. You are using emotion, not logic.