Sign in to follow this  
butta54

Should College Players Be Paid?

A discussion that has been going on for many years and has accelerate in the past few years in both the world of college football and college basketball.

I recently did an editorial on my thoughts and would like to hear what other people have to say.

http://youtu.be/sR3ANqj9emA

Edited by butta54

NO.

But a playoff system should happen.

• Downvote 1

Absolutely, they make the bucks for the university, the fact that they're being exploited is literal slavery. Like, the actual definition.

• Upvote 1

Yes, they shouldn't be paid like professional athletes, but they should absolutely be paid on par with other student workers

NO.

But a playoff system should happen.

What?

As I said in my episode...the real change needs to happen with the amount of money being taken in by the programs. The money being regulated and distributing thoughout the university is more the answer than giving players money. IMO.

What?

As I said in my episode...the real change needs to happen with the amount of money being taken in by the programs. The money being regulated and distributing thoughout the university is more the answer than giving players money. IMO.

Your video isn't working.

Lol if you don't realize these are semi pros that have already been paid for years.most of the stars have never seen a class room. Hell, you can tell by their interviews, they still sound like 10th graders.

You really think a 18,20 year old is running onto a field with 60,000 screaming his name, knowing millions more are watching on tv..and he's just doing it for joy? It's pure ignorance to believe that.

It's so effing obvious when a back up comes in to throw perfect passes to win a national championship in overtime, that it's staged as well.

Of course,of course they get paid.

Absolutely, they make the bucks for the university, the fact that they're being exploited is literal slavery. Like, the actual definition.

I'm sure they are decently paid Uncle Tom slaves, as it is

• Downvote 2

Your video isn't working.

Not sure why the embed wasn't working. Just put the regular link up.

---------------

Most of the stars have never seen a class room? LoL maybe in basketball, but not in football.

And I won't even touch the whole game being staged comment. That is hilarious.

Edited by butta54

No, but not because they don't deserve it but because I don't see an equitable way of doing it.

Not sure why the embed wasn't working. Just put the regular link up.

---------------

Most of the stars have never seen a class room? LoL maybe in basketball, but not in football.

And I won't even touch the whole game being staged comment. That is hilarious.

Lol you aren't even capable to challenge what I said. You have no way of proving me wrong.my description is spot on. No one walks into a situation of millions of viewers for free. I said most of the stars. The guys that won't be millionaires, go to a few classes. You dare challenge how dumb they sound in interviews? It's so obvious.

Lol you aren't even capable to challenge what I said. You have no way of proving me wrong.my description is spot on. No one walks into a situation of millions of viewers for free. I said most of the stars. The guys that won't be millionaires, go to a few classes. You dare challenge how dumb they sound in interviews? It's so obvious.

As someone who has known D1 athletes. Someone that has had D1 athletes recruited out of how school and went on to play. Know college coaches and NFL coaches. And know NCAA Clearinghouse officials. I can say that is not true. As I said in the editorial...it is hard to fake it for three straight years.

And for the record I know people with master's who sound just as dumb as some of the players in the interview. To just a person on the way they speak is very close minded.

From my perspective, it depends on how it's regulated. For kids that are getting full ride scholarships to school, leaving with no college debt, I think they're getting a 'payment' in return for what they're doing on the field and in practice. For others who did not have the opportunity for scholarships, I think there could be opportunities to be compensated for their work like how students do for part time positions on campus. If they're offered opportunities to have their names on jerseys and/or offered endorsement deals, they're adults and I think they should be able to do that.

From my perspective, it depends on how it's regulated. For kids that are getting full ride scholarships to school, leaving with no college debt, I think they're getting a 'payment' in return for what they're doing on the field and in practice. For others who did not have the opportunity for scholarships, I think there could be opportunities to be compensated for their work like how students do for part time positions on campus. If they're offered opportunities to have their names on jerseys and/or offered endorsement deals, they're adults and I think they should be able to do that.

I get that. I actually used to think the same thing several years back about the endorsements, but after this debate keeps getting retreaded every other year I have changed my position. I think college athletes should be paid in that they should not have to over the expense of anything other than personal items like clothing. I mean everything though, gas stipends, food stipends, toiletry allowances for things such as toothpaste. If they are there it should not put them in debt to make you money.

The reason I cant support the endorsements or payments though is because I don't see who it can be done in a fair way. As a for instance, I think we all know college basketball and football are the money makers in college, and they put a lot of time and dedication into it, enough to where you could justify paying them. The problem is what do you pay the women's field hockey players? They are no less dedicated to their craft, but it is not a viewer maven. What about the band geek (no disrespect meant) who performs at half time? Or even the kids who make straight A's because they make the school money as well, or the debate club? I mean you get what I am saying.

So how do you tell those people that put in the same time they should be paid less because their sport/craft makes less money? How do you tell the football player bringing in millions that he should be paid what the field hockey girl gets paid who costs the school money in all likelihood. How do you tell the backup QB that he is not putting in the same effort as the kid with the cannon? How do you tell the starter he is worth as much as a backup? If we are paying them, you should be paid on effort no? At least that is the premise I work under when I pay people. So if the work is equitable across the board how do you reconcile equal work and equal pay with unequal monies earned and less publicity for the school ?

That is why I am of the train of thought the status quo is the way to go. Every sport is allotted scholarships and walk-ons, but you stay away from the rest of the bullshit I just mentioned. If I hear what I think is a better way I will amend the statement, but I have not yet heard one.

• Upvote 1

I get that. I actually used to think the same thing several years back about the endorsements, but after this debate keeps getting retreaded every other year I have changed my position. I think college athletes should be paid in that they should not have to over the expense of anything other than personal items like clothing. I mean everything though, gas stipends, food stipends, toiletry allowances for things such as toothpaste. If they are there it should not put them in debt to make you money.

The reason I cant support the endorsements or payments though is because I don't see who it can be done in a fair way. As a for instance, I think we all know college basketball and football are the money makers in college, and they put a lot of time and dedication into it, enough to where you could justify paying them. The problem is what do you pay the women's field hockey players? They are no less dedicated to their craft, but it is not a viewer maven. What about the band geek (no disrespect meant) who performs at half time? Or even the kids who make straight A's because they make the school money as well, or the debate club? I mean you get what I am saying.

So how do you tell those people that put in the same time they should be paid less because their sport/craft makes less money? How do you tell the football player bringing in millions that he should be paid what the field hockey girl gets paid who costs the school money in all likelihood. How do you tell the backup QB that he is not putting in the same effort as the kid with the cannon? How do you tell the starter he is worth as much as a backup? If we are paying them, you should be paid on effort no? At least that is the premise I work under when I pay people. So if the work is equitable across the board how do you reconcile equal work and equal pay with unequal monies earned and less publicity for the school ?

That is why I am of the train of thought the status quo is the way to go. Every sport is allotted scholarships and walk-ons, but you stay away from the rest of the bullshit I just mentioned. If I hear what I think is a better way I will amend the statement, but I have not yet heard one.

Would def check out the editorial :shifty:

When I I have 40 minutes I will. Probably on my way into work tomorrow?

When I I have 40 minutes I will. Probably on my way into work tomorrow?

Podcast are good for commutes lol.

As someone who has known D1 athletes. Someone that has had D1 athletes recruited out of how school and went on to play. Know college coaches and NFL coaches. And know NCAA Clearinghouse officials. I can say that is not true. As I said in the editorial...it is hard to fake it for three straight years.

And for the record I know people with master's who sound just as dumb as some of the players in the interview. To just a person on the way they speak is very close minded.

Lol you know nothing. Your words prove nothing but that you either meet lesser people or they lied to you. It's going to take more than your few words on screen. I know I'm right simply because games can't constantly come down to exciting finishes unless it's staged. You really think people will confide truth to you when millions are at stake?

You haven't KNOWN anyone . you're just another jock sniffer fan they tolerate and smile at. Lol you don't know any coaches at major programs.lol yeah right? They'd tell you what really happens and mess up the money they make. There's an expression called under the table. Another one called lying. Apparently you can't tell when it's happening to you.

• Downvote 1

Lol you know nothing. Your words prove nothing but that you either meet lesser people or they lied to you. It's going to take more than your few words on screen. I know I'm right simply because games can't constantly come down to exciting finishes unless it's staged. You really think people will confide truth to you when millions are at stake?

You haven't KNOWN anyone . you're just another jock sniffer fan they tolerate and smile at. Lol you don't know any coaches at major programs.lol yeah right? They'd tell you what really happens and mess up the money they make. There's an expression called under the table. Another one called lying. Apparently you can't tell when it's happening to you.

Jock sniffer fan huh....lol I like this guy. He is that special type of brand of troll the internet loves.

You are entitled to your opinion. Now I know how much weight that opinion actually holds.

• Upvote 1

I don't think they should distribute revenue to the athletes, but athletes should be allowed to profit off autographs and selling memorabilia if they so desire.

• Upvote 2

I don't think they should distribute revenue to the athletes, but athletes should be allowed to profit off autographs and selling memorabilia if they so desire.

That is the tricky part that gets me stuck to be honest. On the surface seems fine, but I could easily see a slippery slope with that type of stuff. There is a reason amateurism is in place to prevent that because then I see players just gathering up as many opportunities as possible and letting development and school fall to the way side. Not everyone, but that would be the temptation.

• Upvote 1

I think because you're coming it from the coaching perspective it's a lot more about what's best for the kids who might not make it. There are gonna always be guys out there who believe they can rake in the opportunities and make money as an athlete when in reality they're not going to be pro athletes. The amateurism aspect forces them to at least focus on getting an education.

The guys that won't make it as pros also won't really garner any demand for those personal money making opportunities.

The guys who aren't destined to be draft are the ones who value the education THE MOST. They aren't looking for a place to cash in on their name for three years. They are looking to get a degree for free...like every other non-major sport athlete in the school

Edited by butta54

I agree those unacknowledged guys won't make any money signing autographs and promoting themselves anyways, but it won't stop them.

You know it that quite a few athletes who have no shot in hell at the league are convinced they're about to go pro. I know guys here at my Division III school that got beat like 70-3 by Mount Union who are "just tryna transfer D1 then go big".

I'm glad some guys get the education part of things done, but there are others who are lost in regards to priorities and expectations.

Jock sniffer fan huh....lol I like this guy. He is that special type of brand of troll the internet loves.

You are entitled to your opinion. Now I know how much weight that opinion actually holds.

Better to just hit ignore and move on...

Some very interesting posts in this thread otherwise. :yep:

• Upvote 1

I agree those unacknowledged guys won't make any money signing autographs and promoting themselves anyways, but it won't stop them.

You know it that quite a few athletes who have no shot in hell at the league are convinced they're about to go pro. I know guys here at my Division III school that got beat like 70-3 by Mount Union who are "just tryna transfer D1 then go big".

I'm glad some guys get the education part of things done, but there are others who are lost in regards to priorities and expectations.

Are we agreeing or are you making my point? :shifty: