Sign in to follow this  
.AirMcNair.

Marrone hired as full time HC, Coughlin hired as Exec. VP of Football Operations

Tommy C and the Doug Bug.

I'm OK with this. :yep:

Probably the best way to bring Coughlin into the fold at his age. Doug Marrone should benefit from his experience.

I love this role for Tom Coughlin, but my question is: how significantly has Dave Caldwell's power/role been diminished? Seems to me he did a pretty good job of putting talent on that roster.

Why did Coughlin's tenure as HC cut short in Jacksonville? Wasn't it underachieving players with massive contracts that kind of hog-tied the team and their options? And now... that's going to be part of his job again? I like and respect TC, but I don't know about this.

That being said the Jags still have Marrone and Caldwell in place. I'm not really even sure what Coughlin's job title entails but he knows how to run a team as a head coach. He knows what it takes to win and his experience should really benefit Marrone in that regard. I'm not sure how much of a role he'll have in the decision making process as far as drafting players and signing guys to contracts. Seems to me like it will be a group effort and maybe that will work.

Jaguars GM David Caldwell believes the team "can win a Super Bowl" with Blake Bortles at quarterback.

Let the Bortles reclamation project commence. "I think the future is bright for him," Caldwell said. "I have a lot of confidence in him. I know he has the makeup in terms of intelligence, competitiveness, hard work, effort, so if he has those things I think the rest of it will come." Caldwell did add Bortles "needs to improve" to reach that goal, which seems like an understatement given what he put on tape in 2016, but he is still a young quarterback who had a solid season as a sophomore. These comments plus EVP Tom Coughlin calling Bortles "our quarterback" suggest the Jaguars will pick up his fifth-year option this spring.
Source: jaguars.com

I think he really regressed in year two, so much of a players development hinges on a coach. It's easy to trash the guy but he has all the physical tools to be good. It's a tall order to fix his throwing motion, mechanics and decision making but nothing is impossible. Doug Marrone is getting his second shot at it, maybe he can be the guy to unlock Bortles potential. I kind of have a soft spot for the Jags being on TGP and interacting with Jags fans. I'd like to see them do well. I'm rooting for the guy. Jags really need to get some offensive line help for him though. Hey, at least he has some weapons.

• Upvote 1

I think he really regressed in year two, so much of a players development hinges on a coach. It's easy to trash the guy but he has all the physical tools to be good. It's a tall order to fix his throwing motion, mechanics and decision making but nothing is impossible. Doug Marrone is getting his second shot at it, maybe he can be the guy to unlock Bortles potential. I kind of have a soft spot for the Jags being on TGP and interacting with Jags fans. I'd like to see them do well. I'm rooting for the guy. Jags really need to get some offensive line help for him though. Hey, at least he has some weapons.

Nathaniel Hackett, the guys who couldn't fix Bortles to begin with, was also retained / promoted to full time OC. Sounds like a genius plan the Jags have.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I guess there's a reason why some organizations continue to struggle. I mean I get that it's important for a young QB to have some consistency when it comes to coaching staffs. We've seen this a little bit with Ryan Tannehill, but part of that is also, the Dolphins brought in an excellent young football coach who brought with him a very good staff. Hard to believe that Marrone and Coughlin wouldn't want their own people too. You have to believe Caldwell made this call.

Hackett is Marrone's guy. Was there in Buffalo, and he's here now. I think there was some improvement from Bortles when Marrone took over, so we'll have to see how things are after a full off-season.

Edited by Vin

The first domino falls.

Jaguars fired Executive VP of Football Operations Tom Coughlin.

Coughlin's three-year stint went poorly and ended on a very sour note with a judge ruling that the Jaguars broke CBA rules when they fined players for various non-football reasons. The NFLPA went as far as advising future free agents to second guess signing with the Jaguars. Coughlin and his team's on-field performance had tanked as well, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Just a few years ago, Jacksonville had one of the top units in the NFL, but they are 29th in defensive DVOA in 2019 and were forced into trading away an elite corner. Now 73, it's certainly possible that Coughlin's days in the NFL are over. He'll eventually retire as a two-time Super Bowl champion.

Source: Jaguars on Twitter

RIP Tommy C.  All we had to do was beat the Pats and we (probably) win the Super Bowl.  Instead it's two years later and everyone mentioned in this thread is probably gonna get fired at the end of the season.

Life comes at you fast.