Phenomenal TJ

What Game Are You Currently Playing?

I would really encourage anyone who is bored of the traditional MMO to give Vindictus a shot. It plays like an action fighting game more than an MMO, no healer/tank/DPS setup, as GW2 tried to do and failed, but Vindi actually makes it work very well, by using the dodge and parry mechanics.

While I liked Ghosts more than most -- It did prove to me that I was still losing some interest in the series. I just didn't have the urge to play it as much or as often as I played previous installments... I wasn't planning on getting this game right away, and maybe not at all... But then...

Kevin Spacey.

Meh. CoD be CoD. If they work those cool vehicles into the multiplayer that would be something... but it'll still just be running, dying, and camping simulator 3000.

My friend bought me reaper of souls cus he had no one to play with :dance: gotta love friends with more money than they know what to do with.

• Upvote 1

how did gw2 fail in that aspect lol

GW2 failed in their attempt to remove the "holy trinity" of MMOs.

Firstly, because they actually do have a healing class, not a dedicated healer, but definitely can heal a group- the staff elementalist using the water element has 3 different healing spells.

Secondly, because dungeons could easily be beaten by simply dying and running back to the boss, since as long as 1 person was still alive, the boss would not reset. So dungeons devolved into throw everything at the boss, when you die, respawn and run back.

Vindictus, otoh, has mechanics in-game that actually allow you to redirect the boss's attacks back at him with proper timing and movement. It requires a great deal of skill on certain characters, (Twin Sword Vella, any Fiona), and not as much on some others, (Pillar Kurok, Scythe Evie), but its still there and there is no need for a healer. While there is one heal spell in the game, (Staff Evie), its on a ridiculous cooldown and you can't benefit from multiple casts within the same 90 seconds.

There is no tank/dps/heal combination, everyone is DPSing and "tanking" (more like how a rogue tanks for everyone except Fiona), and no one is healing.

What GW2 did well was the leveling phase, though Vindi is also excellent at that.

What GW2 utterly and completely failed at was end-game, they simply waited far too long to have a viable end-game, as well as dungeons, which, whether or not that was their intent, simply became endless "run at boss, die, respawn, run at boss" as the primary mechanic for all dungeons.

Firstly, because they actually do have a healing class, not a dedicated healer, but definitely can heal a group- the staff elementalist using the water element has 3 different healing spells.

Being able to heal the group doesn't mean they failed to remove the trinity lol. Everyone class has its own heal massive heal which is the point. No other MMO has that. Guardian and engineer can also effectively heal a group. Btw, holy trinity means only ONE person can heal (i.e. like you even said, a dedicated healer which staff ele isn't) and can add no dps to the party. How did GW2 fail at removing that.

Secondly, because dungeons could easily be beaten by simply dying and running back to the boss, since as long as 1 person was still alive, the boss would not reset. So dungeons devolved into throw everything at the boss, when you die, respawn and run back.

Can't do that anymore lol. If one person dies, you have to wait for the entire group to get out of combat to waypoint.

Vindictus, otoh, has mechanics in-game that actually allow you to redirect the boss's attacks back at him with proper timing and movement. It requires a great deal of skill on certain characters, (Twin Sword Vella, any Fiona), and not as much on some others, (Pillar Kurok, Scythe Evie)

ok, so different combat mechanics...

but its still there and there is no need for a healer. While there is one heal spell in the game, (Staff Evie), its on a ridiculous cooldown and you can't benefit from multiple casts within the same 90 seconds.

And you don't need a healer for GW2 PVE either. You know who runs staff ele or support guardian? Nobody lol. Everyone is full zerker now. The staff ele heals aren't nearly strong enough to keep your party alive in any form of PVE. Its basically a bit of regen and survivability given to you so you have enough time to cast your main heal spell. And don't even think of trying it in PVP lol.

There is no tank/dps/heal combination, everyone is DPSing and "tanking" (more like how a rogue tanks for everyone except Fiona), and no one is healing.

Exactly the same with GW2. There IS no tank/dps/heal combo. Everyone is dps and "tanking" as well. Nobody heals (maybe the occasional guardian and engineer turret heal/ele staff heal (if they even run that spec)) the party and if they do, its not enough to go off without using your main heal spell. In WoW, the healer literally only just heals, and heals so much that the tank is able to face-tank enemies and take no damage. You can't do that in GW2. The party heals pale in comparison to the self-heal which you NEED to stay alive in PVE. That's not a holy a trinity.

What GW2 did well was the leveling phase, though Vindi is also excellent at that.

Vindictus sucks ultra balls at that. Lets run the exact same dungeon over and over again for like 10-15 levels and eventually get bored enough so we can run season 2 lol. Then lets go full DA2 mode and put you back in the same areas later on, but hopefully you won't notice since we added some darker textures and lighting. If season 1 was like season 2, then maybe I'd agree with you. But season 1 becomes so mundane very quickly. GW2 leveling is flawless. No stupid back and forth between useless NPCs, running around handing random items to quest-givers just to level up lol. That drove me insane very quickly in Vindictus. With GW2, do a heart, bam get exp. Do an awesome event with everyone nearby, bam level up. Do the maps meta-event, bam level up. PVE is just fun in GW2. Again, if you're talking season 2 (which from now looking back, you obviously must be) then apologies. BUT THAT DOESN'T CHANGE HOW MUCH SEASON 1 SUCKS.

What GW2 utterly and completely failed at was end-game, they simply waited far too long to have a viable end-game, as well as dungeons, which, whether or not that was their intent, simply became endless "run at boss, die, respawn, run at boss" as the primary mechanic for all dungeons.

Again can't do that anymore lol. I don't know how quickly you stopped playing, but they changed that like within 4 months, maybe less. And please tell me how Vindictus has any better end-game. For that matter, please tell me ANY MMO with any good end game. End-game is stupid. End-game for WoW: pay 15 bucks a month to grind endlessly every month just to get a new tier of gear. Wow amazing. Lets do raids yea:

1. Download class macro

2. Bind macro to 1 key

3. Join Raid

4. Keep pressing 1

5. Stand out of red circles

lol so fun. If you wanna do that, might as well do WvW, more fun and against people. It sounds like you haven't played GW2 since launch, alot of things you mentioned have been fixed/removed since. And ALOT of new things have been implemented. Pretty fun now. Should give it a go and run some dungeons/fractals with me.

And not hating on Vindictus, I love me some Vindictus. I take pride in being able to solo hero/hard modes for some incredibly tough bosses as Vella. But I definitely don't agree on your point that they failed to remove the holy trinity. They succeeded, pretty fucking well actually.

Edited by funnygunny

Lol they did not succeed at all. The game failed completely to live up the hype and the promises. Maybe they've patched all that shit in now, it's way too late, sorry, bro.

They changed it way too late after the game had already failed. Had they done some of the shit I see now at the beginning, then perhaps that would not be the case. GW2 dungeons were some of the worst in any MMO I've ever played lol, and then to have zero end-game at all at the beginning just killed it. Yeah some MMOs have bad end-games, but GW2 had no end-game whatsoever lol, unless you cared about purely cosmetic stuff.

And I don't know what you're talking about with everyone going full zerker mode, lol, I see "Need heals then g2g" in zone chat all the time. Everyone wants an engi or a staff.

You don't run the same dungeon over and over in Vindi lol. It's the same area, but very dif. dungeons.

Vindi's leveling worked very well because it was quick. You basically got a level a run early on and then one every other run later until level 55 or so. It felt fast, and it didn't feel grindy.

GW2 the first time through was great, second time through is like... -_-. Booooring.

Edited by Thanatos19

when's the last time you played gw2 lol. nobody says that in zone chat, ever. everyone is basically zerk or knight for max damage for speed running dungeons. if someone goes full healer, they'll probably get kicked lmao

and are you serious about vindictus have different dungeons? did we play the same game? you basically go through 1 area, and have some new extensions here and there as you do more and more of the dungeon's quests in season 1. going through the ice level was an absolute pain. then when you get to the next level bracket, you can move to a different dungeon. the later areas begin to repeat older areas. i don't remember names, but hilder forest ruins or something? thats pretty much a darker version of the first area lol. outside of that, the vampire area was cool, and the first time you see that mega-axe gnoll chief was cool too (then that area is recycled as well later on). and vindictus is hella grindy if you want to be a completionist and finish all the quests or complete armor sets. some quests take like 50+ runs to get drops (lol blood prince set/butterfly vella set).

as for the levelling experience, guess thats subjective.

RIFT's next patch is making it so all classes will be able to perform all roles (Tank/DPS/Support/Healer). Going to be strange.

Finished the main storyline of Sharin no Kuni, now I'm just going through the bonus material.

when's the last time you played gw2 lol. nobody says that in zone chat, ever. everyone is basically zerk or knight for max damage for speed running dungeons. if someone goes full healer, they'll probably get kicked lmao

and are you serious about vindictus have different dungeons? did we play the same game? you basically go through 1 area, and have some new extensions here and there as you do more and more of the dungeon's quests in season 1. going through the ice level was an absolute pain. then when you get to the next level bracket, you can move to a different dungeon. the later areas begin to repeat older areas. i don't remember names, but hilder forest ruins or something? thats pretty much a darker version of the first area lol. outside of that, the vampire area was cool, and the first time you see that mega-axe gnoll chief was cool too (then that area is recycled as well later on). and vindictus is hella grindy if you want to be a completionist and finish all the quests or complete armor sets. some quests take like 50+ runs to get drops (lol blood prince set/butterfly vella set).

as for the levelling experience, guess thats subjective.

Kinda the same thing where GW2 has you run the same dungeon 500 times to get enough seals to get that particular dungeon set if you want it.

Those who are completionists don't normally complain about grinding to get there, that's what they want.

Sure the maps are all ice, but they aren't the same. That's like saying every area in the frozen map north of the main hub is the same area because they all have ice on them.

And I played GW2 less than a week ago and sat in a party for 20 minutes while they asked for a healer while I said we don't need one. And then left and joined another one and the same shit happened.

So then I went back to my elementalist and kept leveling her.

Edited by Thanatos19

News flash, those things are problems with basically every MMO / RPG dungeon crawler type game ever.

The grinding just eventually becomes so tedious and ridiculous that it's hard to play the game without fully dedicating yourself to running the same exact things over and over again until you get one particular drop.

And end-games are just brutal across the board. Ya, some will do it better than others -- but the overall scope is generally the same.

I don't play a ton of these games so I rely on the opinions of those of you here who do have more experience with them... But I've played GW2 (didn't even get max level)... WoW, Path of Exile, Diablo..

And these problems you guys are talking about come back to bite me in the ass even when I love the games... I love Diablo (expansion set), but the grinding just gets to be too much for me. I enjoyed Path of Exile and eventually I just couldn't take it any more. I maxed out on WoW and end-game bored the absolute hell out of me. Didn't finish GW2, not because it sucked, but just because I never had a desire to keep playing it..

Even with their small differences, all games of that genre suffer from the same things.. And honestly, I don't know if that will ever change.

Archeage looks really fun for a MMO. Has a player court system, ship battles, building your own houses, farms. Lots of things to do.

Also -- my brother is also a major MMO player, so I listen to him a lot.. He tells me Vindictus is a shit tier version of Monster Hunter with more repetition than any other game of this genre he's ever played before

Again, this isn't my opinion... And I am not trying to start an argument or further the argument. But I did ask him if he's heard of it and he said he played it for quite a while.

so yea, wildstar is pretty fucking great

getting g'd for that

Yumi's Odd Odyssey I played the original Umihara Kawase through SNES emulation back in the day and quickly fell in love with that game.

To break it down, you are a girl with a fishing pole that acts as a grappling hook. The game revolves around the physics of using your fishing pole to reach difficult platforms and find the door to progress to the next level. It's a bit weird, very Japanese, but if you're a fan of platformers this is the game for you.

so yea, wildstar is pretty fucking great

getting g'd for that

I played the beta the other day. It was pretty turrible IMO.

Also -- my brother is also a major MMO player, so I listen to him a lot.. He tells me Vindictus is a shit tier version of Monster Hunter with more repetition than any other game of this genre he's ever played before

Again, this isn't my opinion... And I am not trying to start an argument or further the argument. But I did ask him if he's heard of it and he said he played it for quite a while.

He hasnt played a lot of MMOs, outside of US ones, if he thinks Vindi has more repetition than any other game he's ever played lol.

The Last Remnant aka This game is 80% sidequests.

He hasnt played a lot of MMOs, outside of US ones, if he thinks Vindi has more repetition than any other game he's ever played lol.

hy·per·bo·le [hahy-pur-buh-lee] Show IPA
noun Rhetoric .
an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait aneternity.”

hy·per·bo·le [hahy-pur-buh-lee] Show IPA

noun Rhetoric .
an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait aneternity.”

In * ter * net [in-tur-net]

A place where sarcasm and hyperbole do not translate well, due to the nature of the medium and the lack of vocalization and tone.

Edited by Thanatos19

k wilstar is pretty great. i see where my time is going come june. finally a good mmo since guild wars

k wilstar is pretty great. i see where my time is going come june. finally a good mmo since guild wars

played two wildstar betas... didn't really see anything in it that made it worth a subscription. :shrug:

Ncsoft has made countless garbage mmos