Phenomenal TJ

What Game Are You Currently Playing?

If you've ever played any of the Elder Scrolls series, it's simply a much better version of Oblivion. I'm going to assume you have not.

So here goes.

It's nothing like Runescape and very little like WoW. Essentially, it starts as a standard RPG- choose your race, (which gives bonuses to certain skills, or a bonus to resist a type of damage, (frost, fire, poison, etc, as well as a race-specific skill- The Nord, for example, can use Battle Cry 1/day to cause everyone around him to flee for 30s), but then delivers the Elder Scrolls twist. You don't pick a class, you can literally level up any ability you wish. There's quite a few, from professions such as smithing and enchanting, to schools of magic, conjuring, healing, destruction, defense, to bows, to melee, to blocking, and stealth.

The thing is, with TES series, you don't level up by gaining XP from killing the bad guys and completing quests. At least, not directly. You level up by leveling up your skills, which is simple- the more you use a skill, the more it levels up. So the more times you heal yourself or others, the more your restoration skill goes up, the more times you hit someone with a two-handed weapon, the more your 2H skill goes up, etc. Each time a skill gains a level, you get XP. Quests simply deliver gold, (generally quite a bit of it).

Since the world is so open, (there is a pair of "main" quests, but you can ignore them for as long as you want), you can literally do whatever you want first. (Although I would advise staying out of the mountains till level 10 or so, the Giants are pretty nasty characters.) So in order to keep everything competitive and not have you out-level an area before you even decide to go to it, the world around you will also "level up", though not at the same pace as your own character, (at least not in Skyrim, I believe in Oblivion it was pretty much the same pace as your character). This is the primary feature of the difficulty slider, or so I have been told, as it determines what level the world around you is.

There is a ton of quests and a ton of areas. I've found almost 200 different areas so far and I think I've explored about 2/3 of the map, so I'm guessing ~300 areas total. There are also several different factions. The three main ones are the Imperial Army, the Thalmor, and the Stormcloaks. (I am unsure if you can join the Thalmor, but they are a faction.)

There are also a bunch of guilds/groups, such as the Companions, (a group of mercenaries), the Mages of Winterhold, the Thieves Guild in Riften, The Dark Brotherhood, (a group of assassins), etc. Each of these guilds has their own line of quests.

Every time you level up you get a perk to spend in any of your skill trees, provided you have the appropriate level of the skill. So for example, I have 5/5 on the Barbarian perk, which gives me 100% extra damage when using 2h weapons, which need a corresponding 2h-skill level of 10/20/40/60/80 in order to level up. Perks can be passive, such as causing certain schools of magic to cost less to cast their spells, or they can be triggered, such as the 2h perk that gives you a 25% to decapitate an enemy when using a standing power attack, or they can be active, such as the 2h perk that gives you a special power attack when sprinting towards an enemy that does an automatic critical hit.

Basically, it is a giant open-world sandbox that you can do whatever you want. You feel like slaughtering a whole town just because? Have at it. You want to rob a nobleman of every last item he owns?

You want to destroy an entire Imperial regiment by calling down a lightning storm on their heads? Well, you'll have to go find out how to do that, first, but then have at it!

My school career is going down the drain come Christmas time. I'm DEFINITELY getting this game. :yep: Thanks!

I've been increasing lockpicking recently... so I have been going around stealing items from shops and what have you. When do those items respawn? Will they ever?

My school career is going down the drain come Christmas time. I'm DEFINITELY getting this game. :yep: Thanks!

Here ya go. A little more detail on the races:

Argonian

Histskin : Invoke the power of the Hist to recover health ten times faster for 60 seconds.

Resist Disease : Your Argonian blood is 50% resistant to disease.

Water Breathing : Your Argonian Lungs can breath underwater.

Breton

Dragonskin : Absorb 50% of magicka from hostile spells for 60 seconds.

Magic Resistance : Breton blood grants a 25% resistance to magic.

Dark Elf (Dunmer)

Ancestor’s Wrath : For 60 seconds, opponents that get too close take 8 points per second of fire damage.

Resist Fire– Your Dunmer blood gives you 50% resistance to fire.

High Elf (Altmer)

Highborn : Regenerate magicka faster for 60 seconds.

Highborn : High Elves are born with 50 extra magicka.

Imperial

Voice of the Emperor : Calms nearby people for 60 seconds.

Imperial Luck : Anywhere gold coins might be found, Imperials always seem to find a few more.

Khajiit

Night Eye : Improved night vision for 60 seconds.

Claws : Khajiit claws do 15 points of damage.

Nord

Battle Cry : Target flees for 30 seconds.- From my experience this is incorrect. It's all targets in the area that flee, not just one.

Resist Frost : Your Nord blood gives you 50% resistance to frost.

Orc (Orsimer)

Berserker Rage : You take half damage and do double damage for 60 seconds.

Redguard

Adrenaline Rush : Stamina regenerates 10x faster for 60 seconds.

Resist Poison : Your Redguard blood gives you 50% resistance to poison.

Wood Elf (Bosmer)

Command Animal : Make an animal an ally for 60 seconds.

Resist Disease and Poison : Your Bosmer blood gives you 50% resistance to poison and disease.

Every character starts with these two spells:

Flames: A gout of fire that does 8 points per second. Targets on fire take extra damage.

Healing: Heals the caster 10 points per second.

Breton's also start with...

Conjure Familiar: Summons a Familiar for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.

Dunmer also start with...

Sparks: Lightning that does 8 points of shock damage to health and magicka per second.

Altmer also start with...

Fury: Creatures and people up to level 6 will attack anything nearby for 30 seconds.

RACIAL STATS

Note on racial stats: Each race starts off with different stats. Unimproved skills begin at 15. A net of 35 points is added from the base skills of 15 for each race.

Argonians start with 25 in Lockpicking, 20 in Alteration, Light Armor, Pickpocket, Restoration, and Sneak.

Breton start with 25 in Conjuration, 20 in Alchemy, Alteration, Illusion, Restoration, and Speech.

Dark Elves start with 25 in Destruction, 20 in Alchemy, Alteration, Illusion, Light Armor, and Sneak.

High Elves start with 25 in Illusion, 20 in Alteration, Conjuration, Destruction, Enchanting, and Restoration.

Imperials start with 25 in Restoration, 20 in Block, Destruction,

Enchanting, Heavy Armor, and One-handed.

Khajiit start with 25 in Sneak, 20 in Alchemy, Archery,

Lockpicking, Pickpocket, and One-handed.

Nord start with 25 in Two-handed, 20 in Block, Light Armor,

One-handed, Smithing, and Speech.

Orcs start with 25 in Heavy Armor, 20 in Block, Enchanting,

One-handed, Smithing, and Two-handed.

Redguards start with 25 in One-handed, 20 in Alteration, Archery, Block, Destruction, and Smithing.

Wood Elves start with 25 in Archery, 20 in Alchemy, Light Armor, Lockpicking, Pickpocket, and Sneak.

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1

Taking a little break from Skyrim and going back to Dark Souls.

Been playing a little MW3... My absolute biggest pet peeve about this game is in multiplayer... You can't run through your teammates which just causes so many problems.. Especially on maps this small.

Also got my gold camo for my CM901. :corn:

Got invited to the Old Republic beta this weekend, so I'll see how good that game is.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations. I have barely touched the main story, I am having a blast with just simply recruiting new Assassins and sending them on missions or sicking them on unsuspecting guards.

That looks a lot like the TF2 trailers, haha. My brothers are really pumped for DotA... Never got into it myself.

That looks a lot like the TF2 trailers, haha. My brothers are really pumped for DotA... Never got into it myself.

I see absolutely zero reason to leave League of Legends for it.

They're the same gamestyle, and I already know the tricks for the LoL champs and I was doing good enough to play ranked and not completely suck. Haven't tried ranked in awhile, though, too busy with Skyrim.

Bought MW3 couple days after it was released, wish I had gotten Skyrim. <_<

I dont get this CoD hype..its not even that great..

Bought MW3 couple days after it was released, wish I had gotten Skyrim. <_<

I dont get this CoD hype..its not even that great..

Come over to Skyyyyrim.

We have cookies over here.

(Don't mind the dragon guarding the cookies.)

I don't want to blow another $60 on a video game though..i didn't know these damn return policy for games for so damn hard to get by..

I don't want to blow another $60 on a video game though..i didn't know these damn return policy for games for so damn hard to get by..

If it's gamestop, you can return it for full price if it's unopened. That's unlikely. So the best you can do is trade it in... The most they ever do for trade ins is (usually) half price or $30.

If it's gamestop, you can return it for full price if it's unopened. That's unlikely. So the best you can do is trade it in... The most they ever do for trade ins is (usually) half price or $30.

I like to buy my games pre-owned through Gamestop, that way it can be returned for a full refund within 7 days. However, with new games you generally only save around $6, so you are better off buying them brand new.

I like to buy my games pre-owned through Gamestop, that way it can be returned for a full refund within 7 days. However, with new games you generally only save around $6, so you are better off buying them brand new.

Ya, I usually like getting preowned games too :yep:. But with the onslaught of amazing titles this fall, I have forked over more cash than I am usually comfortable with...

Gears 3, BF 3, MW3, Skyrim..

$260... Almost makes me sick. lol

Ya, I usually like getting preowned games too :yep:. But with the onslaught of amazing titles this fall, I have forked over more cash than I am usually comfortable with...

Gears 3, BF 3, MW3, Skyrim..

$260... Almost makes me sick. lol

I have only picked up Skyrim and Assassin's Creed: Revelations. Granted, I got the collectors edition of Skyrim, so I spent $210 between the two games.

^^^ Money well spent :yep:

Gonna sell MW3 and lose $15 <_<

And get Skyrim..it better be good or i might kill everyone who's been raving about it in this thread :yep:

btw..any skyrim deals? its full price EVERYWHERE..

It's only been out a couple weeks.. Doubt you will find that good of a deal anywhere. Gamestop will probably be selling used copies for $55 IF they have any in stock.

Looks like Amazon has some used copies for 55 for Xbox... 52 for PS3... and 50 for PC..

Also.. do you have experience playing tES? Or do you enjoy RPG / Adventure type games ? Because if you don't, I would be very weary of buying it for full or near full price. If you haven't played the series before, or are not sure if you like this kind of gameplay.. I would suggest renting it first.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I'm getting AC Revelations for christmas. ... one way or another.

Yeah, I saw it for 53 new on Amazon yesterday but hesitated..wonder if Cyber Monday will bring up anything decent..

Don't know what tes is and neither does google..i dunno, im not really much a gamer, but i guess i should give it a try..meh, considering how popular it is id probably be able to sell it for like madden and a few bucks somewhere, itd almost be the same as renting except without the renting hassle :yep:

Yeah, I saw it for 53 new on Amazon yesterday but hesitated..wonder if Cyber Monday will bring up anything decent..

Don't know what tes is and neither does google..i dunno, im not really much a gamer, but i guess i should give it a try..meh, considering how popular it is id probably be able to sell it for like madden and a few bucks somewhere, itd almost be the same as renting except without the renting hassle :yep:

TES= The Elder Scrolls. Morrowind and Oblivion were TES 3 and 4, Skyrim is TES 5. You do not need to play the other games to understand or have fun in Skyrim, since Skyrim is 200 years after the end of Oblivion.

If you are not an open-world RPG fan, I'd be wary of buying Skyrim.

So TOR is a nearly complete and total rip-off of Trion's way of doing MMOs. They just didn't go far enough to make it actually better.

You have four classes on each side, (Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Smuggler, Trooper vs Sith Knight, Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent). There are also four races which give varying racial bonuses. Each class gets two specialty classes. The Jedi Consular, for example, can become a Jedi Sage, (Healer), or Jedi Shadow, (Rogue). Each specialty class gets three "tiers" that you can mix and match points. Each tier has a special ability when at least 31 points have been put into the tier, (the exact same number from Rift).

At least on Rift, you had 4 classes with nine sub-classes, and you could have up to 5 different soul combinations, (tiers in TOR), at the same time that you could swap to on the fly with no cost for swapping, (there was a minimal cost to reset points that increased with level, and maxed at half a plat at level 50, which was essentially petty cash at level 50).

So TOR, as far as how it does classes, is a less versatile version of Rift.

Perhaps this is also how WoW functions. I never did really get into that one. If that's the case, get with the times, Bioware, we've figured out how to do things better. It's like a step backwards.

Rift started to go in the right direction with versatility, GA made it so that you could only have one soul, but you could change points on the fly with no cost. The obvious next step is to combine the two, not go backwards to only one soul that you have to pay for in order to change, with the cost increasing each time. It doesn't make a character too powerful, they still need gear in order to do much with a new soul/tier combination, but it does give someone a ton of options, like mixing and maxing gear so they're not the best at any one class combo, but they can do all of that class's roles well.

The graphics are absolute shit. Knights of the Old Republic *1* looks better on my computer, both with everything maxed. This game's graphics are ~2002.

This is not even going into the class balance issues. This was supposed to be the last beta, why am I still able to kill a guy 10 levels higher than me on a consistent basis as a Jedi Shadow? They've made no real balancing changes between the first beta and this one.

In short: If you really want some more Star Wars, go play KotOR again. TOR is not worth the $60 release price with $15/month after.

Edited by Thanatos19