Favre4Ever

Is It Time For The Packers To Part Ways With Mike McCarthy?

McCarthy's Crazy Eye is Watching YOU  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Mike McCarthy... Terminate?

• Yes
    • No
    • He Needs More Time

lol this thread fail.

Edited by ATL_Prisoner

Bump for :rofl: :rofl: @ Packers fans

Wow.

I can't believe I didn't notice this at the time, talking about firing your head-coach at 9-6 with all those injuries the Pack had, and he then he takes you and wins the Superbowl.

Haha wow we overreacted so much, but all those close losses and losing the division to the Bears was frustrating. Nobody is thinking that now though.

Haha wow we overreacted so much, but all those close losses and losing the division to the Bears was frustrating. Nobody is thinking that now though.

Ya.. having so much talent and nothing to show for it was so annoying. We'd give up big leads, look like we don't give a shit in big games, play worst in games that mattered most. etc etc.

It was always appreciated what Mike did for the team... setting us up for success... But he couldn't get us over the hump. (Explaining the thinking a year ago)

Edited by Favre4Ever

Okay not to throw any other Packer fans under the bus for this one but you can't group us ALL together in a mob of people who wanted McCarthy out. I for one know that I didn't want McCarthy fired. I was defending him this whole thread lmao.

Okay not to throw any other Packer fans under the bus for this one but you can't group us ALL together in a mob of people who wanted McCarthy out. I for one know that I didn't want McCarthy fired. I was defending him this whole thread lmao.

You weren't so much defending McCarthy as much as you were making excuses for his failures.

I think, throughout this thread... I gave Mike more props than you did. lol. Your posts consisted of "It wasn't Mikes fault our defense sucked.", "Its been a very rocky 5 years, it isn't his fault"....

You weren't so much defending McCarthy as much as you were making excuses for his failures.

I think, throughout this thread... I gave Mike more props than you did. lol. Your posts consisted of "It wasn't Mikes fault our defense sucked.", "Its been a very rocky 5 years, it isn't his fault"....

Whether I was "defending" him or "making excuses" (really don't see a difference either way) the point of all my posts were to say that he should not have been fired. Had we fired him, our team would have crumbled before our eyes, we wouldn't have won a Super Bowl, and chances our we'd still be rebuilding our team.

F4E all I am saying is thank fuck you are not Ted Thompson :D

F4E all I am saying is thank fuck you are not Ted Thompson :D

What ?

That period of time JD wanted Mick McCarthy fired, which means that if he was GM who for the Packers is Ted Thompson then MM could possibly have been gone and the potential awesomeness of Green Bay would never of happened

Whether I was "defending" him or "making excuses" (really don't see a difference either way) the point of all my posts were to say that he should not have been fired. Had we fired him, our team would have crumbled before our eyes, we wouldn't have won a Super Bowl, and chances our we'd still be rebuilding our team.

Rebuilding... What in the fuck. lmao. We have acquired ALL of our talent within the last calender year? No. We would absolutely not be rebuilding, with or without Mike McCarthy. And hindsight is 20/20. "We wouldn't have won a Super Bowl"... If you would have told me that 8-6, and on the verge of being eliminated from the playoffs, I'd be more impressed.

Even I can sit here today and say... Oooo, so glad we didn't actually fire him. Our team is so awesome. lol.

And there is a huge difference... You weren't saying "Mike is an amazing head coach, he needs to stay". I don't think anyone in this thread was. The only difference between you and I was you were willing to accept his short comings... I was not.

Rebuilding... What in the fuck. lmao. We have acquired ALL of our talent within the last calender year? No. We would absolutely not be rebuilding, with or without Mike McCarthy. And hindsight is 20/20. "We wouldn't have won a Super Bowl"... If you would have told me that 8-6, and on the verge of being eliminated from the playoffs, I'd be more impressed.

Even I can sit here today and say... Oooo, so glad we didn't actually fire him. Our team is so awesome. lol.

And there is a huge difference... You weren't saying "Mike is an amazing head coach, he needs to stay". I don't think anyone in this thread was. The only difference between you and I was you were willing to accept his short comings... I was not.

What the fuck are you talking about? Short comings? Being 8-6 with 15 players on injured reserve (mostly defensive guys with 2 offensive stars) is good in my book. Most people's books, for that matter. What he had to deal with last year was a lot to ask for and I realized that. And seriously I hadn't heard any talk about firing McCarthy from ANYBODY last year, except you. This thread was the first time I had heard it mentioned. And no I didn't say he was an amazing coach but I did say he needs to stay. That's the entire point I'm trying to get to.

Idk why I'm getting into this argument; any rational person would have not fired McCarthy last year.

• Upvote 1

What the fuck are you talking about? Short comings? Being 8-6 with 15 players on injured reserve (mostly defensive guys with 2 offensive stars) is good in my book. Most people's books, for that matter. What he had to deal with last year was a lot to ask for and I realized that. And seriously I hadn't heard any talk about firing McCarthy from ANYBODY last year, except you. This thread was the first time I had heard it mentioned. And no I didn't say he was an amazing coach but I did say he needs to stay. That's the entire point I'm trying to get to.

Idk why I'm getting into this argument; any rational person would have not fired McCarthy last year.

Convenient of you to casually look over the first portion of my post.

Thank God Mike McCarthy wasn't fired, because we'd be in rebuilding mode right now. Haha.

And the only tumultuous part of Mike's career, pre-Super Bowl, was an 8-6 team with 15 guys on IR? You can't think of anything else?

This seems like selective memory to me.

Convenient of you to casually look over the first portion of my post.

Thank God Mike McCarthy wasn't fired, because we'd be in rebuilding mode right now. Haha.

And the only tumultuous part of Mike's career, pre-Super Bowl, was an 8-6 team with 15 guys on IR? You can't think of anything else?

This seems like selective memory to me.

Dude I fucking know what happened. I watch every game. Start to finish. Down by 20? I'm still watching the last kneel down.

Week 3: Chicago: This one you can pin in McCarthy. The entire coaching staff actually. Sloppy game all around with 18 penalties.

Week 5: Washington: Could have won the game but Crosby missed a 53 yarder (or 51 idr). Could have won it AGAIN in OT but Rodgers made a careless throw and was picked.

Week 6: Miami: Terrible call by the refs that gave Miami first down deep in our territory late in the game allowing them to take the lead. We managed to tie it up, but we couldn't stop them and lost by another OT field goal.

Week 12: Atlanta: Started out lame but McCarthy made adjustments second half and we came back, only to lose because some nutsack facemasked a guy on a kickoff. Gave the ball to Atlanta around midfield and they only had to go 15 yards to kick a field goal with 3 seconds left.

Week 14: Detroit: I didn't watch the game I was at work but I saw replays of the recording. Rodgers goes down, Flynn goes in. McCarthy isn't ready for this but gives Flynn the helmet and we take them on. We score no TDs? That's on McCarthy, and the whole offensive players/staff.

Week 15: New England: Playing with an unknown backup QB and we come down to the wire with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Nobody expected us to win that game and if you did I'm sorry but I don't know what you were thinking. We played better than anybody thought we could have with a backup QB. Why did we play so well? Because McCarthy did a good job with Flynn during the week and adjusted the offense to something Flynn could work with.

There were our 6 losses last year. All of these happened before this thread was created and before I posted any "excuses" or "defense" to McCarthy. I can blame 2 of them on McCarthy. I don't blame coaches for poor execution by the players, unless it's penalties. When a QB throws an interception it's either the quarterback or the wide receiver who did something wrong. Not the coach. When a kicker misses a field goal it's either a terrible kick or it's poor conditions. The coaches can work with players until they get it right in practice but during the game, they can't do anything but watch the player miss the field goal or throw an interception.

Why did I defend McCarthy's position? Simply, because of him, we were competitive in any game. You can credit our whole coaching staff with that one, but even in games when we were severely outmatched (New England, Atlanta) we took them to the final seconds. I realized this last year and I know I was right.

Oh, and about the rebuilding thing. I think you underestimate what losing a head coach does to a team. Holmgren and Ron Wolf built a nice team back in the 90's, only to have it ruined because Holmgren left, and we had no stability at head coach. As soon as he left, we were done. Sure we didn't realize it then but we realize it now. Success starts from the top down and you need stability at the top in order to win. Changing a head coach when we're on the verge of making the playoffs (or being eliminated, whatever you prefer) is not an intelligent thing to do. New head coaches don't adopt the previous coaches philosophy. They insert their new system. By rebuilding, I didn't mean talent. I meant scheme. System. Gameplans. We'd probably still be in wild card (maybe) position right now if we had hired a new coach this offseason. McCarthy is responsible for this ENTIRE coaching staff. If he goes, they go, and we don't have the incredible staff we do. Were you pissed at Dom Capers at 8-6 last year? Probably not. But if McCarthy goes, Dom might too.

Edit- Also I just don't see how you didn't see the improvement we made as a team. Yes, people have bad years, that's common. We had about 10 of them leading up to McCarthy's era. The good ones learn from their losses and their bad years. And that's what we were doing as a team and as an organization. That's why I defended McCarthy last year at 8-6 and on the verge of elimination.

Edited by badgers

Dude I fucking know what happened. I watch every game. Start to finish. Down by 20? I'm still watching the last kneel down.

Week 3: Chicago: This one you can pin in McCarthy. The entire coaching staff actually. Sloppy game all around with 18 penalties.

Week 5: Washington: Could have won the game but Crosby missed a 53 yarder (or 51 idr). Could have won it AGAIN in OT but Rodgers made a careless throw and was picked.

Week 6: Miami: Terrible call by the refs that gave Miami first down deep in our territory late in the game allowing them to take the lead. We managed to tie it up, but we couldn't stop them and lost by another OT field goal.

Week 12: Atlanta: Started out lame but McCarthy made adjustments second half and we came back, only to lose because some nutsack facemasked a guy on a kickoff. Gave the ball to Atlanta around midfield and they only had to go 15 yards to kick a field goal with 3 seconds left.

Week 14: Detroit: I didn't watch the game I was at work but I saw replays of the recording. Rodgers goes down, Flynn goes in. McCarthy isn't ready for this but gives Flynn the helmet and we take them on. We score no TDs? That's on McCarthy, and the whole offensive players/staff.

Week 15: New England: Playing with an unknown backup QB and we come down to the wire with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. Nobody expected us to win that game and if you did I'm sorry but I don't know what you were thinking. We played better than anybody thought we could have with a backup QB. Why did we play so well? Because McCarthy did a good job with Flynn during the week and adjusted the offense to something Flynn could work with.

There were our 6 losses last year. All of these happened before this thread was created and before I posted any "excuses" or "defense" to McCarthy. I can blame 2 of them on McCarthy. I don't blame coaches for poor execution by the players, unless it's penalties. When a QB throws an interception it's either the quarterback or the wide receiver who did something wrong. Not the coach. When a kicker misses a field goal it's either a terrible kick or it's poor conditions. The coaches can work with players until they get it right in practice but during the game, they can't do anything but watch the player miss the field goal or throw an interception.

Why did I defend McCarthy's position? Simply, because of him, we were competitive in any game. You can credit our whole coaching staff with that one, but even in games when we were severely outmatched (New England, Atlanta) we took them to the final seconds. I realized this last year and I know I was right.

Oh, and about the rebuilding thing. I think you underestimate what losing a head coach does to a team. Holmgren and Ron Wolf built a nice team back in the 90's, only to have it ruined because Holmgren left, and we had no stability at head coach. As soon as he left, we were done. Sure we didn't realize it then but we realize it now. Success starts from the top down and you need stability at the top in order to win. Changing a head coach when we're on the verge of making the playoffs (or being eliminated, whatever you prefer) is not an intelligent thing to do. New head coaches don't adopt the previous coaches philosophy. They insert their new system. By rebuilding, I didn't mean talent. I meant scheme. System. Gameplans. We'd probably still be in wild card (maybe) position right now if we had hired a new coach this offseason. McCarthy is responsible for this ENTIRE coaching staff. If he goes, they go, and we don't have the incredible staff we do. Were you pissed at Dom Capers at 8-6 last year? Probably not. But if McCarthy goes, Dom might too.

Edit- Also I just don't see how you didn't see the improvement we made as a team. Yes, people have bad years, that's common. We had about 10 of them leading up to McCarthy's era. The good ones learn from their losses and their bad years. And that's what we were doing as a team and as an organization. That's why I defended McCarthy last year at 8-6 and on the verge of elimination.

Your long winded post fails due to the fact that it wasn't about one season. It's about nearly 5 years of failures to get over the hump. I never once said Mike was a bad coach... I credited him (and Ted) for the talent we had. But, at the time, it didn't appear like he was going to be the one to take it to the next level.

And you make it seem like I wanted him to fire him on the spot.... Which isn't the case. I even said that he WOULD NOT be fired after last season, regardless of my opinion on the matter.

And the Holmgren thing was completely different. Mostly because that team.. uh... Was at the very height of their success and on the downward trend anyway. Unlike this team, which has been one of the youngest in the league over the last 5 years.

And again... If you tell me all of these things last year at the same time, I may actually give you credit... But after I go through and read this thread, it seems more like you are altering your opinion after the fact.

You are acting like you were a huge Mike McCarthy fan, and spent this entire thread talking about how awesome he was and giving us reasons why he deserved to be our head coach. When in reality, you blamed a bunch of other factors and claimed it was everyone's fault but his.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Your long winded post fails due to the fact that it wasn't about one season. It's about nearly 5 years of failures to get over the hump. I never once said Mike was a bad coach... I credited him (and Ted) for the talent we had. But, at the time, it didn't appear like he was going to be the one to take it to the next level.

And you make it seem like I wanted him to fire him on the spot.... Which isn't the case. I even said that he WOULD NOT be fired after last season, regardless of my opinion on the matter.

And the Holmgren thing was completely different. Mostly because that team.. uh... Was at the very height of their success and on the downward trend anyway. Unlike this team, which has been one of the youngest in the league over the last 5 years.

And again... If you tell me all of these things last year at the same time, I may actually give you credit... But after I go through and read this thread, it seems more like you are altering your opinion after the fact.

You are acting like you were a huge Mike McCarthy fan, and spent this entire thread talking about how awesome he was and giving us reasons why he deserved to be our head coach. When in reality, you blamed a bunch of other factors and claimed it was everyone's fault but his.

Okay this is my last post cuz this argument is useless. It happened a year ago and we all know how it went down. We won the Super Bowl. Woo.

I just want to say one last thing.

I just don't understand how you consider his 5 years as a massive failure to get over the hump? His first year was a great improvement from 4-12 the previosu year. Then 13-3 and the #2 seed and we get knocked out of the NFCCG. That's okay. The next year was poor. Defense failed massively and yes McCarthy is the head coach and should be blamed for 2008's poor defense. But he did what a good coach does, and got a new defensive staff. That was the right move. You can agree with that, right? Then in 2009, a year we were supposed to be rebuilding, we made the playoffs on a 7 game winning streak that I'll admit we didn't start the season out well. We got knocked out of the playoffs in a shootout but idk about you I was happy with the direction our team was going. Then in 2010 everyone expected us to contend for the division title, which we did (1 Chicago loss and we would have won it). Yes we had had a lot of ups and down with McCarthy but I guess the difference between you and me is I look at the big picture, and the larger direction our team is going. Which was clearly up. You focus more on the end result of the season and when all of our seasons with him had ended poorly (2006 no playoffs, 2007 NFCCG loss, 2008 no playoffs, 2009 WC loss) you were predicting another failure to make a postseason run and immediately thought that we would never get it done. That's fine I can respect that you were thinking we were headed down a long and terrible road to another missed playoff berth. It just happened that I was thinking something different.

Now even though we had this pretty big argument about a pointless topic it's not like I think any less of you as a fan or a poster here but I get the idea that you think less of me..that's fine but saying that you "Fight stupidity everywhere" or whatever in the shoutbox is kind of rude, so I'd appreciate it if you want to smack talk about me to not publicly announce when you want to prove somebody wrong. We had differing arguments, big deal. It's not something where you need to announce that you're going to prove this idiot wrong, and it's just disrespectful. Thanks.

• Downvote 1

Okay this is my last post cuz this argument is useless. It happened a year ago and we all know how it went down. We won the Super Bowl. Woo.

I just want to say one last thing.

I just don't understand how you consider his 5 years as a massive failure to get over the hump? His first year was a great improvement from 4-12 the previosu year. Then 13-3 and the #2 seed and we get knocked out of the NFCCG. That's okay. The next year was poor. Defense failed massively and yes McCarthy is the head coach and should be blamed for 2008's poor defense. But he did what a good coach does, and got a new defensive staff. That was the right move. You can agree with that, right? Then in 2009, a year we were supposed to be rebuilding, we made the playoffs on a 7 game winning streak that I'll admit we didn't start the season out well. We got knocked out of the playoffs in a shootout but idk about you I was happy with the direction our team was going. Then in 2010 everyone expected us to contend for the division title, which we did (1 Chicago loss and we would have won it). Yes we had had a lot of ups and down with McCarthy but I guess the difference between you and me is I look at the big picture, and the larger direction our team is going. Which was clearly up. You focus more on the end result of the season and when all of our seasons with him had ended poorly (2006 no playoffs, 2007 NFCCG loss, 2008 no playoffs, 2009 WC loss) you were predicting another failure to make a postseason run and immediately thought that we would never get it done. That's fine I can respect that you were thinking we were headed down a long and terrible road to another missed playoff berth. It just happened that I was thinking something different.

Now even though we had this pretty big argument about a pointless topic it's not like I think any less of you as a fan or a poster here but I get the idea that you think less of me..that's fine but saying that you "Fight stupidity everywhere" or whatever in the shoutbox is kind of rude, so I'd appreciate it if you want to smack talk about me to not publicly announce when you want to prove somebody wrong. We had differing arguments, big deal. It's not something where you need to announce that you're going to prove this idiot wrong, and it's just disrespectful. Thanks.

I am getting lectured to about being disrespectful from the guy who created the LOL Devin Express and Hypemobile? Someone who constantly degrades others for his own amusement? Get off the high horse, sonny.

EDIT -- I am in no way claiming you are the only one to do so, as most of us do it. But you are once again trying to portray yourself as some one you are not.

EDIT II -- Oh... And you have to realize that I love to argue and debate. I've always wanted to be a lawyer until recently... It's just in my blood to argue posts and opinions that I find particularly unappealing.

Edited by Favre4Ever

lolCheeseheads fighting .

:popcorn: