Primetime

Palmer Wants Out of Cincy

SI's Peter King hears that coach Marvin Lewis is acknowledging that Carson Palmer won't be back in Cincinnati.

King confirms a report from CBS last week with a source saying, "Marvin knows how stubborn Carson is, and he thinks no matter what happens, the guy won't change his mind." The Bengals would be wise to deal Palmer after the draft, with the 49ers, Cardinals and Vikings topping King's list of possible suitors. We're not holding our breath that a trade will actually go down, however. Source: SI.com

Carson Palmer is on top of the Dolphins' list of veteran quarterbacks to go after, according to the Miami Herald's Armando Salguero.

The Bengals and Palmer are in a stalemate right now, with the team saying they won't grant the quarterback's trade request. But the Dolphins apparently view Palmer as a better option than names like Kevin Kolb, Vince Young and Kyle Orton among others. Regardless, we're not so sure the rapidly declining Palmer would make sense for the Dolphins. They're probably better off drafting a quarterback and using Chad Henne as a bridge. Related: Dolphins Source: Miami Herald

Edited by monstersofthemidway

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy is the latest to report Bengals owner Mike Brown is not softening his stance on Carson Palmer.

Columnists for teams in need of a quarterback will continue to concoct scenarios that bring Palmer to their cities all offseason, but Brown appears to be completely uninterested in caving. If Palmer doesn't back down, either, it looks like he'll be spending September playing golf instead of quarterback. Apr 10, 12:23 PM

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

Per Rotoworld.com:

During post-draft press conferences, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis "hammered home" his expectation that Carson Palmer will follow through with his retirement threat.

On Friday, Lewis said he doesn't expect Palmer back in Cincinnati and called it "(Andy) Dalton's night" as he became a Bengal with the No. 35 overall pick. Word is, owner Mike Brown still believes Palmer is coming back. But Lewis has all along known Palmer is a man of his word, and the coach is now looking forward. May 1, 5:02 PM

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis believes No. 35 overall pick Andy Dalton is plenty capable of being a Week 1 starter.

"I don't think there's an exact need," said Lewis about the possibility of signing or trading for a veteran quarterback. "I feel really good about the guy we were able to draft (Dalton), and if he ends up being the starter as a rookie, I think he can do that. ... We chose Andy because we feel that he has less of a learning curve and will be able to do things very quickly." Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

I see him staying with Cincy, or maybe going to a team like Seattle.

Jesus Christ, some of you are being harder on Carson for wanting out of Cincinnati than you were Ocho and all his Miami bullshit.

The guy in an All-Pro quarterback who has no interest in going back to the basement of the AFC North. Can we blame him? I mean he's heading toward the downside of his career...so who wouldn't want to go somewhere with a better opportunity at winning a ring? Bottom line, the guy wants to win...not another rebuild.

• Downvote 5

Carson is an All-Pro quarterback? News to me....

Sorry, mean to say: "FedEx Air Player of the Year quarterback"

Jesus Christ, some of you are being harder on Carson for wanting out of Cincinnati than you were Ocho and all his Miami bullshit.

The guy in an All-Pro quarterback who has no interest in going back to the basement of the AFC North. Can we blame him? I mean he's heading toward the downside of his career...so who wouldn't want to go somewhere with a better opportunity at winning a ring? Bottom line, the guy wants to win...not another rebuild.

Its not 2005 and 2006 anymore.

Its not 2005 and 2006 anymore.

Exactly my point. The Bengals have once again become the Bungals since. Palmer doesn't want to deal with that shit again. Not while he's still got the ability. I mean shit, he's already gone through one nasty knee injury behind that putrid O-Line.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Bengals owner Mike Brown strongly reiterated Monday that he has no intentions of honoring Carson Palmer's trade demand.

"We don’t plan to trade Carson," Brown said. "He’s important to us. He’s a very fine player, and we do want him to come back. If he chooses not to, he’d retire. And we would go with Andy Dalton ... Ideally, we’d have both of them. That’d be the best way to go forward. If we don’t have Carson, we’ll go with Andy." Both Brown and Palmer seem as entrenched as ever. Dalton, the No. 35 overall pick in the draft, is the favorite to start in Week 1. May 23, 4:00 PM

Source: NFL.com

Dude signed a contract, to play at Cincinnati, he should honor his contract, as far as I know, the Bengals are holding up their end of the bargain.

I want to see him retire.

• Upvote 1

^^yea, that Brown guy is actually an arsehole. he doesn't wanna trade Palmer, and if he retires...its okay to just go with Andy...

why not trade Palmer and get a half-decent QB while you're at it because you'll lose Palmer if you keep him anyway? derp.

And yet it is okay for a team to release and trade players while they are under contract? This is a double standard. I will say both sides are being a bunch of babies, especially Mike Brown.

That's what you get with an employee-employer relationship. Should we also ban businesses from firing their employees? Mike Brown may very well be an asshole, but he is also paying and taking care of Carson Palmer and his family. It isn't Carson Palmers place to be making such demands. If he has a problem with it, well... He can retire.

Good riddance.

• Upvote 1

And yet it is okay for a team to release and trade players while they are under contract? This is a double standard. I will say both sides are being a bunch of babies, especially Mike Brown.

Perhaps players should insure there's a no early termination, or trade clause in the contract before they sign it. Players are more interested in guaranteed money, than guaranteed stay of contract.

That is the nature of the business, as much as there's performance based incentives in place, I'm sure there's also performance based exit clauses in the contracts.

Bottom line, they both sign the contract, apparently the players/agents fall back on pouting and foot stamping, as a last ditch effort.

As the saying goes, contracts are made to be broken. I have no issue with Palmers demands to leave.

That's what you get with an employee-employer relationship. Should we also ban businesses from firing their employees? Mike Brown may very well be an asshole, but he is also paying and taking care of Carson Palmer and his family. It isn't Carson Palmers place to be making such demands. If he has a problem with it, well... He can retire.

Good riddance.

I get that, but if I don't like my job, I can put a two weeks notice in and find another job. I realize Palmer can kinda do this by retiring and becoming an insurance salesman or something, but there are many teams that would be willing to pay for his services so I don't know why the Bengals don't try to get something out of it.

I get that, but if I don't like my job, I can put a two weeks notice in and find another job. I realize Palmer can kinda do this by retiring and becoming an insurance salesman or something, but there are many teams that would be willing to pay for his services so I don't know why the Bengals don't try to get something out of it.

Well... In the end, the Bengals are probably going to budge. If Carson Palmer is smart... he WON'T retire. Show up to the Bengals facilities when the lockout is lifted. Collect his paychecks but just be unmotivated and mope around the building all day. Retiring let's the Bengals win, and won't actually get him what he wants. With that said... I don't think Carson is all that smart, so... lol.

Yep, paying a dude a boatload of cash that's going to half-assed perform, and more than likely get himself benched, is not very profitable...and could be toxic to their locker room.

It's well within his rights to do so, but it's very Eli Manning-esque...

He should honor his part of the bargain IMO.