Sign in to follow this  
sweetness34

Official Workout Thread

I have a particularly challenging problem here.

I have started to try to work out some to get back into shape after back surgery, (for those who don't know, I had a bulging disc in my lower back that was pressing on a nerve, causing pain in the lower back and spiraling down the right leg).

However, it appears that certain things are off-limits, foremost among them, at least for the moment, being any lifting of any weights. Any time I try to lift something heavier than about 5-10 lbs, I can feel a twinge in my back.

Now it may just be that I am being too cautious, because there is no way in hell I want to relive the last three years over again, but I'm not doing weights until that stops.

My school has tons of workout equipment, as well as a large swimming pool. For someone who just wants to get in shape, is swimming 4 times/week enough?

I can run on the track as well, but I would think that be about the same as far as exercise goes.

As far as diet goes, I have mostly salads and sandwiches for lunch, (sandwiches made on as whole-wheat bread as I can find, or whenever my mom sends me some home-made bread), and make generally healthy meals for dinner. I don't really think I can make my diet much healthier on my budget.

Edited by Thanatos19

Swimming is easily one of the best cardio workouts you can do, if not the best.

Also, low budget meals..i'll post some from The Dolce Diet when I get a chance.

So I decided to get serious about getting rid of this fat boy pack that I call a six pack... My sister tells me that I gotta start running some and not eat meat and giant cinnamon rolls (that I'm addicted to). But I hate running and I don't want to lose weight so i'm just doing a bunch of crunches hoping I'll get them by summer's end.

Not eat meat 0_o... Don't have to run or lose weight to get a six pack, but you do have to lose the fat covering your abs.

Also how long does it take for someone to stop training a muscle group before it gets weaker? I've gone almost 4 months without training my legs and even longer without sprinting and i'm getting scared I might be losing my lower body burst and explosion. >_>

I think the principle of reversibility applies rather well here, all physiological adaptations gained, can also be lost. Sort of like 'you don't use it, you lose it'. The rate of loss is different for every body, and it depends on past training, genetics, and diet among other things. An athlete who has been training for years, has good genetics, and maintains a proper diet during a time of no training will experience less decline in strength, endurance, and body mass as opposed to someone on the opposite end of the spectrum. My personal experience with my own training and with clients of mine is that anything more than two weeks of no training will result in a noticeable decline in performance. My advice is to get back to training and accept that it may take some time to get where you used to be, everyone experiences it.

And the actual reason I came on this thread... My older brother got me for a super late birthday present these Gold Gym 3 in 1 set with these circular push up bars that are supposed to give you the best push up workouts... Those things absolutely kick my ass, I can hit 115 push ups in a minute with almost a lot of ease, but hitting 50 with them is impossible. I recommend it for anyone who likes doing push ups.

Is that one of those things that allows you to do pushups at a variety of angles?

I have a particularly challenging problem here.

I have started to try to work out some to get back into shape after back surgery, (for those who don't know, I had a bulging disc in my lower back that was pressing on a nerve, causing pain in the lower back and spiraling down the right leg).

However, it appears that certain things are off-limits, foremost among them, at least for the moment, being any lifting of any weights. Any time I try to lift something heavier than about 5-10 lbs, I can feel a twinge in my back.

Now it may just be that I am being too cautious, because there is no way in hell I want to relive the last three years over again, but I'm not doing weights until that stops.

My school has tons of workout equipment, as well as a large swimming pool. For someone who just wants to get in shape, is swimming 4 times/week enough?

I can run on the track as well, but I would think that be about the same as far as exercise goes.

As far as diet goes, I have mostly salads and sandwiches for lunch, (sandwiches made on as whole-wheat bread as I can find, or whenever my mom sends me some home-made bread), and make generally healthy meals for dinner. I don't really think I can make my diet much healthier on my budget.

I can relate to the back injury, I suffered a lower back injury over a year ago and it's debilitating. You have the potential to get back to lifting weights if you wish, but it's something you have to be cautious with, as does everyone who lifts weights. I'd recommend body weight exercises to get you started, also a good core routine that emphasizes static exercises.

You seem to have a handle on your diet, which is great, so I won't address that at all. I'd stay away from running due to the impact. Swimming is a great cardiovascular workout that is low impact (not no impact, every movement places forces on the body).

Swimming 4 days/week combined with a 3 days/week (day on, off, on, off, on etc) body weight resistance routine and core stability training will be effective in getting you into shape.

If you would like any suggestions on specific exercises you can send me a pm or reply in here.

I THINK i had something wrong with a disc in my back a month ago. It hurt so bad to stand up or sit down. Its gone now but man it was fucking killin me. Im back on lifting 5 times a week now. My job i had before wouldnt let me go when i wanted. Pending on the muscle group for the day, i always lift 4 sets. Going from light to heavy. Number of reps for each set in order, 20, 15 ,12 ,10. I normally do three-4 different machines/lifts for each muscle group. So my workout is from anywhere a hour to two hours sometimes pending on what im doing for the day. I notice size increase as well muscle memory within a week. I lift to be in better shape and to play basketball alot better. Summer time im tryna hit some tourneys and win some more.

I've gained some very useful information in this thread..I need to change my diet asap because for a 6'1'' guy I'm very thin(150 lbs lol)..I'll try gaining some weight then start working out seriously,using your suggestions to help me..

I can relate to the back injury, I suffered a lower back injury over a year ago and it's debilitating. You have the potential to get back to lifting weights if you wish, but it's something you have to be cautious with, as does everyone who lifts weights. I'd recommend body weight exercises to get you started, also a good core routine that emphasizes static exercises.

You seem to have a handle on your diet, which is great, so I won't address that at all. I'd stay away from running due to the impact. Swimming is a great cardiovascular workout that is low impact (not no impact, every movement places forces on the body).

Swimming 4 days/week combined with a 3 days/week (day on, off, on, off, on etc) body weight resistance routine and core stability training will be effective in getting you into shape.

If you would like any suggestions on specific exercises you can send me a pm or reply in here.

If you have any specific exercises that you think might help, that would be great. I've basically been looking stuff up online.

I do have one of those big balls, (the weighted ones that won't roll around), that you can lay on and do some exercises there. That feels absolutely great on the back.

I need some stuff to strengthen the lower back, I'm sure, as it's pretty weak after three years of not being able to do much of anything to help it out.

To SoCal, I'm not sure what it's called but it's the circular things in the picture:

GGK08_xl.jpg

And yea, looks like I got some work to do. lol. Is it possible to lose the fat without losing the weight? Cause I really don't wanna drop below 230...

To SoCal, I'm not sure what it's called but it's the circular things in the picture:

GGK08_xl.jpg

And yea, looks like I got some work to do. lol. Is it possible to lose the fat without losing the weight? Cause I really don't wanna drop below 230...

I have something similar to that (except it doesn't look as high tech) but it's just black with a bar in that circular shape (I think it's called Push Up Pro).

It has done wonders for my my arms. I recommend doing elevated pushups as well, I put my feet up on a chair.

Does anyone have some good apps for an iPhone to keep track on your progress? Maybe football related?

I currently have iFitness (but don't really use it) and I recently downloaded RunKeeper Pro. Just thought I'd give that one a go.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone have some good apps for an iPhone to keep track on your progress? Maybe football related?

I currently have iFitness (but don't really use it) and I recently downloaded RunKeeper Pro. Just thought I'd give that one a go.

Any suggestions?

IDK about keeping track of progress, but don't Arian Foster and Ray Lewis have one?

I know for a fact Lewis has one.

5200013417.jpg

I've had a couple of those after my workouts. Good stuff. Fucking Gatorade charges $2.50+ per carton for it, though. Any other good recovery shakes that are more cost efficient?

Ordered Bill Romanowski's Nutrition53 Lean1 since I've heard some pretty good reviews on it. :yep: Planning on taking it twice a day (before and after workouts) since it's effective as a meal replacement type shake. I typically don't get around to eating breakfast and lunch, so it'll be convenient for me lol. In addition, I'm cutting out soda and sweets completely. Hate to part with soda especially, but MiO will keep me sane. :yep:

So, in summary, I'll be downing the Romanowski shake twice a day, going to the gym 5-6 times per week (1.5-2 hours per day), and eliminating soda and all of that other crap.

That said, I should be looking like this in no time...

Jay-Cutler-5699777.jpg

:troll:

But srsly, I'd like to lose 10-15lbs per month, ideally. I'm about 270-280 (6'1'') right now, and hope to be around 210-220 by the end of the year. I plan on sticking to this routine for awhile, so I'm hoping that I can morph into a lean and toned 200+ pounder. :yep:

edit: managed to find a scale... currently at 269.5

Edited by BenJarvus Green-Ellis

I'm trying to shed weight as well. 6'3 290 atm. I just started on GSP's Rushfit. Let me tell you is it intense. Came in here to see if anyone had some suggestions on protein shakes or bars. As of right now i'm having to choke down these RX brand bars after workouts. They taste like crap. Someone told me to try 100% Gold Standard whey protein shakes, so i'll prolly head to GNC tomorrow before work and check that out but if anyone had some suggestions.

But srsly, I'd like to lose 10-15lbs per month, ideally. I'm about 270-280 (6'1'') right now, and hope to be around 210-220 by the end of the year. I plan on sticking to this routine for awhile, so I'm hoping that I can morph into a lean and toned 200+ pounder. :yep:

edit: managed to find a scale... currently at 269.5

Just remember to not look at weight as part of your workout. I weight 210 but look nothing like it. Most people make the mistake of if they havent lost weight its not working. Concentrate on your fat % weekly though to see what rate u are losing it at.

Stepped up my workouts from 4-5 per week at 30-45 minutes to 5-6 per week at 1-1.5 hours. From spending the extra time and eating much better, I've started seeing results very quickly. During Thanksgiving, I had family and friends surprised at the changes I've made.

Since I have my routines and nutrition down, I'm wanting to set my stack correctly. I'm currently using ON Amino Energy as my preworkout and Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey as my postworkout (and also throughout the day to make sure I get enough protein). I already take a multivitamin, Vitamin D, and fish oil. Anything else I should tack on to this to help speed up breakdown and increase muscle?

Stepped up my workouts from 4-5 per week at 30-45 minutes to 5-6 per week at 1-1.5 hours. From spending the extra time and eating much better, I've started seeing results very quickly. During Thanksgiving, I had family and friends surprised at the changes I've made.

Since I have my routines and nutrition down, I'm wanting to set my stack correctly. I'm currently using ON Amino Energy as my preworkout and Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey as my postworkout (and also throughout the day to make sure I get enough protein). I already take a multivitamin, Vitamin D, and fish oil. Anything else I should tack on to this to help speed up breakdown and increase muscle?

This is my stack when I am trying to increase muscle mass, it only slightly changes when I am trying to slim down

ON Gold Standard whey

Controlled Labs Orange Triad (multi, joint supp, and digestion supp combined)

ON BCAA 5000 powder

ON HMB 1000 caps

USP Labs Jack3d pre-wo

I'd recommend nixing the Vitamin D supp, your multi should already have enough in it and if not, about 15 minutes to an hour of sunlight per week is sufficient for vitamin D synthesis to take place.

Controlled Labs Orange Triad (multi, joint supp, and digestion supp combined)

ON BCAA 5000 powder

ON HMB 1000 caps

What's your schedule on those?

And I used to use Jack3d but it gave me the jitters so I quit. Definitely prefer Amino Energy.

What's your schedule on those?

And I used to use Jack3d but it gave me the jitters so I quit. Definitely prefer Amino Energy.

Schedule:

Orange Triad (3 pills) in the morning after I eat breakfast, then 3 pills later in the day

HMB (1 cap) with meal containing protein. I take it 2-3 times per day

BCAA powder in a drink, I consume half before my workout and the rest I sip on during my workout

I forgot to mention that I take creatine monohydrate as well, 5 grams a day

How much $$$ are you guys dropping on all these supplements....

I spend 100-150 every 2-3 months which is really good for everything that I buy

You don't NEED any supplements, the majority of the things listed above can be obtained through diet, its just not easy for everyone.

This is what i'm currently taking..

BodyTech BCAA powder

BodyTech Critical Aminos XT

BodyFortress Super Whey ($15 at Wal Mart) don't give a damn what anyone says, but this stuff really works for me

NaturalBrand Shark Cartilage (for joint support)

Biotin and Vitamin A

And my pride and joy that has absolutely enhanced my workouts and gains

A8Gl81LCQAIk4iU.jpg

$40 for 40 workouts at Vitamin Shoppe. My god, that shit is the best. I feel like I can take a bullet everytime I use it. :wub:

How much $$$ are you guys dropping on all these supplements....

I haven't done enough research yet to know how much it will be after I get what Socal recommended but right now with just whey protein, a pre-workout, and the multivitamin? Around $55. Working the deals is the easiest way to save, obviously. I sometimes order through my gym because they have accounts with different suppliers. All depends where I can get it the cheapest. I always communicate with the gym owners about where I found better deals because it forces them to drop their prices.

Plus, I never buy two items at the same time. I space out my usage well enough to save money.

I guess I'll play along. I use this:

header.jpg

My two friends who are big on lifting use this and have good results. What works for one person doesn't always work for another, but I figured I give it a shot since it was the only recommendation at the time.

My inconsistency when it comes to working out won't prove if it's doing anything or not anyway...:coffee: