Sign in to follow this  
Turry

Eagles found a DC.

Castillo is bar-none one of our best assistant coaches, so that's why it's not a HUGE surprise to me, although I definitely never would have guessed this. Sometimes assistant coaches can switch sides of the ball because a good coach needs to know both sides, and EVERY coach in the NFL understands both sides of the ball. You need to truly know offense to truly understand defense, and vise versa.

Playcalling is the only place where I'm not 100% sure this is a good move, but he's a very smart coach and I'm sure he'll do fine. He definitely will have a great understanding of how to draw up blitz schemes and pass rushes that get to the QB. That I can guarantee.

How's that working out for ya?

I'm not guaranteeing success... but I am guaranteeing competency, and you know what, I completely stand behind this move 100%. Let's see what he can do. I am totally intrigued by this, and if it doesn't work... then back to the drawing board. I feel like he is really going to cook up some obnoxious blitzes, and the fact that he played linebacker at least rests my mind a little bit about his knowledge of coverages. The Eagles WILL get sacks, let's see how much they get scored on in the process.

After 4 weeks... middle of the pack defense in terms of yards and leading the league in sacks but with bad run stopping (like I said we would have once he announced his wide 9 idea, go dig up that thread too if you want) and some bad coverage from the linebackers.

I didn't think that this would be right off the bat awesome, I'll wait until at least week 12 to put a fork in it. This defense was designed to shut down the other team's pass game in the 4th once the offense has the lead, and it's not getting done because of linebackers and safeties messing up. But the offense could have helped out a little more in the 4th quarter... I don't know if we've scored anything in the 4th all year.

Should have promoted Jauron.

After 4 weeks... middle of the pack defense in terms of yards and leading the league in sacks but with bad run stopping (like I said we would have once he announced his wide 9 idea, go dig up that thread too if you want) and some bad coverage from the linebackers.

I didn't think that this would be right off the bat awesome, I'll wait until at least week 12 to put a fork in it. This defense was designed to shut down the other team's pass game in the 4th once the offense has the lead, and it's not getting done because of linebackers and safeties messing up. But the offense could have helped out a little more in the 4th quarter... I don't know if we've scored anything in the 4th all year.

Would you be willing to cut back on that by two weeks after today's performance? :grinno:

I'm gonna quote a post I made on an Eagles board, because it sums up my thoughts on the situation:

Castillo may very well make a good defensive coordinator one day, but he wasn't ready to be one this season, and still isn't ready. He's going through the learning process, and that process is costing us football games. If we had a defense full of rookies and unproven guys it wouldn't be so bad, but it really hurts to see such a talented defense underachieving so badly.

I'm gonna quote a post I made on an Eagles board, because it sums up my thoughts on the situation:

Castillo may very well make a good defensive coordinator one day, but he wasn't ready to be one this season, and still isn't ready. He's going through the learning process, and that process is costing us football games. If we had a defense full of rookies and unproven guys it wouldn't be so bad, but it really hurts to see such a talented defense underachieving so badly.

Yeah I agree, it would have made more sense to let him be the LB's coach first.

What puzzled me most about the hire was the way in which it was conducted. After firing McDermott in a very unprofessional manner, the Eagles interviewed a bunch of guys, didn't do anything, and then promoted Castillo out of the blue--without taking the opportunity to interview anyone from the Packers or Steelers staff (the promotion occurred before the Super Bowl). The only logic for doing that is that you're showing confidence in Castillo, saying you don't need to interview anybody because you feel comfortable that you've got your guy.

HOW'S IT GOING SO FAR, EAGLES?

I think in a way Castillo has been handcuffed by our front office. He has all these CB's but with the new DL scheme he needed tough veteran LB's who can play the run and get off blocks, but that only goes so far because it've seen way too many times us having veterans like Asomugha and Samuel just look lost out there and blow coverages. Both Aso and Samuel are both hard workers in the film room and have a reputation for being well prepared for games. I think you have to look at the DC for that.

Castillo definitely got screwed by the failure to address the linebacker position, especially since we brought in the wide nine with Washburn. Just goes to show that as an organization, the Eagles are losing it.

What puzzled me most about the hire was the way in which it was conducted. After firing McDermott in a very unprofessional manner, the Eagles interviewed a bunch of guys, didn't do anything, and then promoted Castillo out of the blue--without taking the opportunity to interview anyone from the Packers or Steelers staff (the promotion occurred before the Super Bowl). The only logic for doing that is that you're showing confidence in Castillo, saying you don't need to interview anybody because you feel comfortable that you've got your guy.

HOW'S IT GOING SO FAR, EAGLES?

:wub:

Edited by BLUE

As I typed that, I literally wondered if you'd say anything about it.. :laugh:

LMFAO are you kidding me? Our entire LB and safety group is full of unproven guys and rookies. That's the whole middle of our secondary. The lockout really killed us and did Castillo no favors.

I missed the Cards game, but it still doesn't look like Castillo is solely to blame. Our offense needs to play better in the 4th. We were not supposed to have a shut down defense this year, but we are supposed to have a dominant offense, and I'd be shocked if we have 4 TD's in the 4th all year. I've always said this season has a ton of potential but also a ton of questions... and next year is the year when it's time to get serious or trim the fat. As far as thread digging, go look up the one where Castillo announced the wide 9, and I said our linebackers are probably going to struggle against the run. The wide 9, as far as run defense, is a lot like the 3-4, only worse because there's usually less people on the LOS and the linebackers are typically smaller. And it takes most teams a year to adjust from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Getting high level LB talent is a must this offseason, because this system is going to fail if we keep plugging in average Joe's.

You don't hire a guy as green as Castillo and then fire him in the same year unless he's awful... and I don't think he's awful. We are the only team with a losing record and positive net points. Now isn't the time to blow everything up and start over, it's time for them to wake up, get their feet under them, play for themselves and each other, and get some momentum going... either for next year, or in case the NFC East commits suicide. The pressure is off, so let's see how they do when it's not about the dream team or playoffs, it's just the Eagles. I think Castillo can be the right guy for this group, and next year, they are going to come back hungry. The only way I'd want Castillo to leave is if Reid goes with him.