Sign in to follow this  
Wacko4Flacco61

play clock rule should be changed to 25 seconds

What im in favor of 25 second play clock. But play clock starts when chains yard marker and ball set. All those 3 things in place for next play the ref blows whistle arm winding clockwise to start the play clock. So this way the Offense cant just sit on the ball run the clock out on all 3 knee downs. So if you knee down 2 minutes after 2 minute warning its not enough to run it out,Or youre on 2nd down after 2 minute warning isnt enough you give the other team a chance to come back on a miracle play. So your best bet is to do something with the ball run time off the clock like QB dances scrambles to take time off the clock. This rule i like to see changed.

Edited by Wacko4Flacco61
  • Upvote 2

I'm for that. It would speed the game up a bit as well.

What im in favor of 25 second play clock. But play clock starts when chains yard marker and ball set. All those 3 things in place for next play the ref blows whistle arm winding clockwise to start the play clock. So this way the Offense cant just sit on the ball run the clock out on all 3 knee downs. So if you knee down 2 minutes after 2 minute warning its not enough to run it out,Or youre on 2nd down after 2 minute warning isnt enough you give the other team a chance to come back on a miracle play. So your best bet is to do something with the ball run time off the clock like QB dances scrambles to take time off the clock. This rule i like to see changed.

I'd be down for this. Good post.

Thought the exact same thing when the guy I was playing in Madden took 394232901231 knees with 5 minutes left.

Good post.

• Downvote 1

Thought the exact same thing when the guy I was playing in Madden took 394232901231 knees with 5 minutes left.

Good post.

it would work in Madden, but not in real football, too much needs to happen between plays, Peyton Manning wouldn't be nearly as effective with 15 seconds less to read the defense and call his audibles

He'd just have to get 15 seconds faster at doing it.

He'd just have to get 15 seconds faster at doing it.

Well he better learn how to speed calling audibles. Or call audibles as soon he races to the line of scrimmage.

He doesn't have to. It won't change. It's like oochymp said. Having 15 less seconds for any quarterback will probably have us see way more turnovers on offense making football even more defense-focused. Personally, I like seeing Manning use the clock the way he does. It makes it lol when they turn it over :D

And when Colts turn it over youll see this on mannings face

"" Manning Hurries and throws

nfl_u_manning_sy_200.jpg

And ITS INTERCEPTED!!

777651.jpg

Thats the Ballgame folks!

peyton%20manning%20prays.jpg

it would work in Madden, but not in real football, too much needs to happen between plays, Peyton Manning wouldn't be nearly as effective with 15 seconds less to read the defense and call his audibles

god forbid every rule change isn't to the benefit of Peyton. Maybe him and Polian can wine enough to make QB's wear red jersey's just like in practice.

god forbid every rule change isn't to the benefit of Peyton. Maybe him and Polian can wine enough to make QB's wear red jersey's just like in practice.

I doubt them getting drunk solves anything.

Rather than getting rid of the 40 second play clock entirely, maybe just have it at 25 seconds in the final 2 minutes of every Quarter? That seems a bit more balanced IMO. That way you're not totally changing the strategy of the game, but you're still encouraging teams to be more aggressive in the dying minutes of each Quarter.

it's not just Peyton, it would completely change offensive play calling, far too many plays, by every team, are snapped in the last ten seconds of the play clock for me to think it would be anywhere near worth it, it'd be like running no huddle all game

Rather than getting rid of the 40 second play clock entirely, maybe just have it at 25 seconds in the final 2 minutes of every Quarter? That seems a bit more balanced IMO. That way you're not totally changing the strategy of the game, but you're still encouraging teams to be more aggressive in the dying minutes of each Quarter.

I might agree with the last two minutes of the half, the only thing it would really affect would be kneel downs, which are really more frustrating than anything else, since if a team isn't ahead they're not going to take 25 seconds to call a play, and it would make the end of the half/game more exciting

This is an unnecessary change IMO. The speed of the game has never been an issue. I've never sat through a football game and felt it was too slow, especially watching it on TV. If your a die hard fan, you love pre-snap when the defense is shifting and the QB is trying to read them, with the center and guards pointing out potential blitzes, then you got DBs coming to the line and linebackers fainting. It's awesome. It takes time to get all that going. Plus, if you sped the game up like this all quarter long, it would be kind of pointless to have no huddle since the game would constantly moving at a fast pace.

I have issues with some of the rules in place and the penalties but I think the flow of the game right now is perfect.

In Madden it works because its all about instant gratification in video games.

I don't want the game sped up. I love it just as it is.

it's not just Peyton, it would completely change offensive play calling, far too many plays, by every team, are snapped in the last ten seconds of the play clock for me to think it would be anywhere near worth it, it'd be like running no huddle all game

I might agree with the last two minutes of the half, the only thing it would really affect would be kneel downs, which are really more frustrating than anything else, since if a team isn't ahead they're not going to take 25 seconds to call a play, and it would make the end of the half/game more exciting

You miss the expaintion of the rule change. I said play clock cannot start until the chains,Ball Marker and Ball is placed and set for next down. Like look at the rule in College ball when you throw a 1st down clocks cannot start until the chains,Ball Marker and Ball is placed. But my idea is only play clock cannot start until the chains,Ball Marker and Ball is placed but the game clock keeps rolling unless you step out of bounds.

You miss the expaintion of the rule change. I said play clock cannot start until the chains,Ball Marker and Ball is placed and set for next down. Like look at the rule in College ball when you throw a 1st down clocks cannot start until the chains,Ball Marker and Ball is placed. But my idea is only play clock cannot start until the chains,Ball Marker and Ball is placed but the game clock keeps rolling unless you step out of bounds.

I understand it, but unless it takes 15 seconds or more to set the ball (which it typically doesn't) you're still cutting the pre-snap time the offense has to work with, and if it does take 15 seconds or more to set the ball then you're not changing anything, if anything you're making it easier to run the clock out. You're basically asking the offense to run no-huddle the entire game, which completely changes the game and would probably lead to extremely sloppy play.

• Upvote 1

QBs have headsets to get the play called from the coach. All thry have to do is Run down the field with players quick huddle and then get the play started. It can be done with pratice. They dont need to spend a minute calling a play in the huddle.

QBs have headsets to get the play called from the coach. All thry have to do is Run down the field with players quick huddle and then get the play started. It can be done with pratice. They dont need to spend a minute calling a play in the huddle.

I'm not even sure where to start, so I guess I'll start from your first point: you can't rely too much on technology, it will fail, there have been a number of games where the headsets didn't work, whether that's technical failures or just crowd noise, there are times where that communication method doesn't work, so you have to allow for that to fail. Now where to go from here, it's not so much play calling that takes time, and I haven't argued that, perhaps I should have said 'hurry up' rather than 'no-huddle' in my last post, but all of my previous posts make my point clear. What takes time pre-snap is surveying the field, trying to figure out what the other side is doing, calling audibles and making adjustments. And really, you're trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist.

Then do it the old fashion way tell a player a play on the sideline and then the other player comes in for next play. Thats the way they used to do in college. the old 30 second clock is used for running out the clock. The 25 second clock you cant just sit on the ball and run clock out you have to run the ball. By running the ball is risky then sitting on it is safer. Im sorry fans are tired of players taking the easy way out for a win. Look at Baseball,,Theres no easy way out the secure the win you must make your pitches in order to finish the game. In Football you must protect the ball and your lead. Not taking the easy way out for a win.

Edited by Wacko4Flacco61

i read that through 5 times and still couldn't understand it. how old are you? lol.

and lmfao...easy way out for a win?? yeah. coz its so easy to create a comfortable lead and then attempt to run the clock out in the fourth quarter to secure it. ever heard of fourth quarter comebacks? and when the offense does start taking kneels in the fourth, its because they won. they were obviously the better and harder working team; its the opposing team's defense's fault they couldnt stop them.

If you want to make the NFL better the last thing you want to do is make it more like the CFL.

• Upvote 1