Tridentdawgpound

2011 MLB Discussion Thread

We lost today, but did you ever think you would be talking about the Pirates in the playoff race in July? I realize Friday is July 1st but with our pitching, we're not going anyway. At least not yet.

Yeah, I can't say that I am not impressed with Pittsburgh. What a year for them so far. Looks like the NL Central is going down to the wire. None of the team have separated from the pack.... Should make for an interesting end to the season. The division is up for the taking, and the Pirates are right in the middle of it.

Wow... It's gonna take some getting used to having to say that :laugh:

haha, yea. And we're doing all of this without a lot of guys. We gotta hope Alvarez comes back after the All Star break and hits some homers. It'll be nice to get Ryan Doumit's bat back as well. And I am not 100 percent able to say we won't add someone at the deadline. Obviously not a huge name, but there's a chance we add someone who would present an upgrade.

Ricky Nolasco with a complete game shutout against the A's. Marlins wins.

Well we've taken the first two against Boston. This was a series everybody was talking about in March; nice to know at the very least we're gonna win it. I doubt we get the sweep with Kendrick on the mound tomorrow, though.

Well we've taken the first two against Boston. This was a series everybody was talking about in March; nice to know at the very least we're gonna win it. I doubt we get the sweep with Kendrick on the mound tomorrow, though.

Wait, Kyle Kendrick's pitching today, not Cole Hamels? Woo hoo! :rock:

Wait, Kyle Kendrick's pitching today, not Cole Hamels? Woo hoo! :rock:

I'm not 100% sure, but if it is indeed Hamels, you guys are fucked. :p

It's Hamels vs. Lester. Southpaws!

Alright, I guess we bumped Cole up a day. Awesome. Hamels/Lester should be a great matchup. It's an afternoon game and it's on MLB Network, for those interested.

Marlins with back to back wins. :party:

Geovany Soto FTW.

Pirates 1.5 games back of the division with a home stand against the Astros and Cubs to finish out the 1st half... get it!

Marlins with back to back wins. :party:

So, it's a tad bit early, but not really. Trades will be happening in a few weeks. What do you guys want your teams to do at the deadline?

I want the Pirates to pursue a legitimate hitter at 1st base. There are a few guys out there we could realistically get. Billy Butler of the Royals is probably gonna be traded, and that would be the first avenue I'd like to explore. Then there's Michael Cuddyer, who could play either RF or 1B for us, but he'd start at 1B for now. And there's probably also a chance we could get Pena from the Cubs. There are definitely other options out there but these are the 3 players I would most like to acquire for the Pirates.

Oh, and it's still pretty likely that Paul Maholm gets traded, so those of you whos teams will be looking for a pitcher, keep that in mind.

You could argue that the Phillies need bullpen help and possibly another starter, but our top priority has to be offense. The current group of guys we have is underachieving, but the pitching has been spectacular. The Phillies are 35-3 this season when scoring four or more runs. You don't have to be a spectacular lineup to score four runs per game. Get us a bat, Amaro!

sweep.gif

Man... I am loving Lance Lynn. We called him up as a starter for the injured McClellan... I thought he pitched BETTER than the guy he was filling in for... Kyle gets healthy, we send him back down to the minors, but bring him back up a week later to fill in our bull pen and he has been dynamite so far.

He's still young, so he has some stuff to work on, but I like the guy a lot.

I think he could be a real solid 3 starter in a couple of years... But if not, he has a career as a long reliever ahead of him.

San+Francisco+Giants+v+St+Louis+Cardinals+onvn3SI4lU3l.jpg

Oh, and I also love this kid

Fernando+Salas+Philadelphia+Phillies+v+St+ArWDNJFwrUjl.jpg

After Ryan Franklin started out the year about as bad as any closer ever.... Our closer-in-waiting Mitchell Boggs fumbled a bit. I was ready for the Cardinals to look for a veteran closer on the market. But Fernando Salas was called up from the minors and has converted 16 of 18 save opps. Far from perfect and he is still really young, but he pitches with such authority.

Edited by Shaq

Pirates go into the All-Star break 4 games over .500 and 1 game behind 1st place in the NL Central.

Wut.

Phillies crush the Braves 14-1 and have the best record in baseball heading to the All-Star Break.

I think we need to start giving John Mayberry more playing time. I'm not saying he's the right-handed bat we've been looking for, but he might be; and until we know for sure that he's not, he needs to get more at-bats. Hell, just platoon him with Ibanez.

Pirates go into the All-Star break 4 games over .500 and 1 game behind 1st place in the NL Central.

Wut.

You're not dreaming Sarge. It's really happening.

Sweep the LolStros.

Edited by BigBen07

3 words are about to be uttered that I never thought I would utter this season:

Pirates first place.

:rock:

Marlins take 3/4 from the Cubs. It really could have been a sweep. Game 2 was such a frustrating and avoidable loss.

How the fuck did the Jays end up spiltting the Yankees after winning the first two 16-7 and 7-1... this team just fucking sucks. (Although the loss to CC Sabathia [spelling?] was expected)

What an awesome season so far...