Tridentdawgpound

2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Went to the Rays/Yankees game tonight. Was a great atmosphere and a great game. And to top it all off, the Phillies won and the Braves lost. Epic night of baseball.

Several weeks ago the Mariners were a couple of games over .500 and were within reach of 1st place. Now they're back in the AL West basement alongside with the A's after losing 12 straight games lol. Welcome back to earth, Seattle.

Man seeing the Pirates in first for a few days brought back memories of 1992. I hope the Bucs keep this up!

And lol Mariners.

Add lol Brewers to that. They picked a bad time to slump.

Edited by BigBen07

lol Cahill. Dude is talented but pitches with absolutely no balls. Hardly and fire or intensity in him.

Would love to see the A's deal him at the deadline.

sweep.gif

:yep:

Poor Astros.

Some trade deadline news, starting with Carlos Beltran...

According to ESPN's Jayson Stark, Carlos Beltran has given the Mets a list of 7 National League teams that he would like to be traded to.

There are eight teams in contention in the NL, with Pittsburgh being the likely destination Beltran prefers not to go to. According to ESPN's Adam Rubin, Beltran has privately told those close to him that he might block a trade (he has a full no-trade clause) to the American League, even though he's publicly said that he's open to a move to the AL. Rumors aside, we'd be willing to bet the farm that Beltran winds up with a contender in the senior circuit.

And speaking of Beltran...

According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, B.J. Upton is emerging as an alternative for teams that fail to land Carlos Beltran.

The Giants are reportedly a big player, and likely not just to gain leverage against the Mets. Upton is under team control through 2012, and would be an upgrade both offensively and defensively for the defending champs. Rosenthal suggests the Giants would be more willing to give up prospects for a player that isn't just a rental. He also adds Cleveland as a possible suitor.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on YardBarker

...and speaking of the Rays...

CBSSports' Danny Knobler is reporting that the Rays have told teams that James Shields is no longer available.

The Rays chummed his name into the rumor waters, but Shields was never realistically going to get dealt. With one of the most team friendly contracts in baseball ($7m club option for 2012, $9m club option for 2013 and $12m club option for 2014, all with $2m buyouts) it would have taken an unreasonably impressive haul to pry Shields and his sterling 2.53 ERA and 1.011 WHIP away from Tampa.

Source: Danny Knobler on Twitter

3 way tie in the NL Central.... bat shit crazy....

Yeah, and I love how all three teams have different records. The Pirates have 4 games in hand and the Cardinals have 2. Epic.

Hmm, guess I wouldn't be completely opposed to the Indians going after Upton.

Pirates recalled Pedro Alvarez. Here we go.

Chipper Jones is back tonight. We'll have our entire opening day starting 8 for the first time since May.

Shit Jose Bautista got drilled. Glad to know he's gonna be fine and able to play tomorrow.

Josh Johnson isn't expected to pitch again this year for the Florida Marlins due to shoulder concerns, sources say.

There is said to be no serious damage and no expectation of surgery, however.

Johnson, 27, was 3-1 with a 1.64 ERA in nine starts this season for the Marlins.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/07/26/marlins.johnson/

Not like it really matters at this point.

Cubs lose again. I have officially lost interest in baseball this season, especially with football back. I am still interested to see who wins our division, though. It would be awesome to see Pittsburgh win it.

The worst call in MLB history just occurred... a gif will be posted as soon as it becomes available....

PIT-1.jpg

safe! LMAO.... WORST CALL EVER, GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE LEAGUE YOU BITCH!!!!

HomeTag2.gif.opt.gif

*Vince McMahon Voice* Jerry Meals..... YOU'RE FIRED!

ieaCPS.gif

lolproctor.

I think that's absolutely hilarious. hahahaha. Especially that being the game winning RBI.

Also... Cardinals with the slim lead in the Central. GO BRAVES.

Tribe no-hit and are now a mere 2 games over .500. :laugh:

Nationals swept for the first time at home this season. Broom.gif

Tribe no-hit and are now a mere 2 games over .500. :laugh:

And only 1.5 games back of Detroit for first place in the Central. Still in this 2/3rds of the way through the season....awesome.

Traded for Fukudome today. Let's see how this works.

In completely uninteresting news, Mariners finally broke their longest skid in team history. Fans around here are stoked.

I'm so happy the Brewers swept the Cubs! However, I'm hoping Rickie Weeks will get better soon. He was just put on the 15 day DL because of his ankle injury and he's a huge part of our offense so I'm hoping for the best.