Tridentdawgpound

2011 MLB Discussion Thread

Giants shut out Pittsburgh. :party:

And i just wanted to mention how much I dislike the Pirates announcers.

Last night, Carlos Zambrano gave up 5 HRs, only to retaliate against Chipper Jones and get tossed from the game. He then took all of his belongings, left the clubhouse and told friends he is officially retiring.

Oh, boy.

Cubs placed RHP Carlos Zambrano on the disqualified list.

That means Big Z will not be paid and cannot have any contact with the team for 30 days. After the month is up, MLB and the Player's Union will discuss what will happen next for the pitcher. The Union is also expected to file a grievance over the move, though with Zambrano's past indiscretions, it remains to be seen what kind of case they'll have. Zambrano's agent said his client is "not in the retirement mode" anymore, but at this point it seems very likely that his Cubs career is over. It would be a fitting end to a tumultuous stint with the Northsiders.

Source: Paul Sullivan on Twitter

lmaoZambranofail

Why was he smirking? :nonono:

The players association will file a grievance Monday challenging the Cubs' placement of Carlos Zambrano on the disqualified list.

The Cubs placed Zambrano on the disqualified list this weekend, meaning he can't be paid and cannot have any contact with the team for 30 days. Because of Zambrano's past indiscretions, it remains to be seen what kind of case the Union will have. Casey Coleman will take Zambrano's spot in the rotation, starting Wednesday in Houston.

Source: Arlington Daily Herald

Chris Capuano has cleared waivers and would be eligible to be traded to any team this month, Buster Olney reports.

Olney's report comes as the Diamondbacks lost pitcher Jason Marquis with a broken fibula. Olney also lists starting pitchers Bruce Chen, Rodrigo Lopez, Jason Vargas, Chien-Ming Wang, Ted Lilly, Tom Gorzelanny and Carlos Zambrano as having cleared waivers.

Congratulations to my favorite player of all time and one of the most underrated to ever play, Jim Thome, on his 600th home run. Can't wait to see you in Cooperstown.

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that Rich Harden has been placed on waivers.

Harden drew quite a bit of interest at last month's non-waiver trade deadline and should yield some calls again here in mid-August. A 29-year-old right-hander, he has registered a healthy 1.28 WHIP and 49/20 K/BB ratio across 46 innings (eight starts) for Oakland this season.

Source: Nick Cafardo on Twitter

Tigers acquired OF Delmon Young from the Twins for LHP Cole Nelson and a player to be named later.

Young, 25, has posted a disappointing .266/.305/.357 batting line, four home runs and 32 RBI in 84 games this season for Minnesota. But he had an .862 OPS, 21 homers and 112 RBI last year, and the Tigers will hope he blossoms again with a change of scenery. He should see regular action in the Detroit outfield down the stretch.

Source: LaVelle E. Neal III on Twiter

Twins acquired LHP Cole Nelson and a player to be named later from the Tigers for OF Delmon Young.

Standing 6-foot-7 and weighing nearly 240 pounds, Nelson is an imposing left-handed starter. But he's registered an uninspiring 4.87 ERA and 87/50 K/BB ratio in 105 1/3 innings this year at the Single-A level. The 22-year-old native of Edina, Minnesota has some work to do.

Astros acquired OF Domingo Santana as the player to be named later in the Hunter Pence trade.

Santana, 19, has hit .269/.345/.434 with seven homers and 32 RBI in 391 plate appearances this season at Single-A Lakewood. He's a decent talent, ranked by most as a Top 10 prospect in the Phillies' system.

Source: Alyson Footer on Twitter

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Mets outfielder Jason Bay has cleared waivers.

Chris Capuano, D.J. Carrasco, Willie Harris and Angel Pagan have also passed through the waiver process unclaimed. All five Mets can now be shopped as trade bait around the league. It remains doubtful, however, that a swap will ultimately take place.

Source: ESPN New York

SI.com's Jon Heyman reports that Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano has passed through waivers.

It's highly doubtful that a contending team will go after him. Soriano, 35, is owed $18 million annually through 2014 and is a very poor defensive outfielder. No organization is going to pay him big bucks to serve as an unproductive designated hitter.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Red Sox and Rays tied for the AL Wild Card, Braves lead the Cardinals by one game in the NL Wild Card. Two games to go.

Cardinals :(

Cardinals fail to take advantage of opportunities. Story of our season.

I'm actually pretty excited for the post-season, that being said SO happy to have Football back. :happy:

Proposed 2012 Opening Day lineup:

1. RF LaDainian Tomlinson

2. LF Jean Van De Velde

3. CF LeBron James

4. 2B Scott Norwood

5. 1B Bill Buckner

6. SS Charles Barkley

7. 3B Donovan McNabb

8. C Leon Lett

9. P Peyton Manning

See what I did there?

GO CARDINALS!

Mark my words... Phillies goin DOWN.

• Upvote 1

GO CARDINALS!

Take those pond scum out man. No bitterness from me: Get shit done.

GO CARDINALS!

Oh look, the Cardinals make the playoffs and JD cares about baseball again. :p

Don't have a good feeling about playing the Cards but we really shouldn't lose unless our lineup goes dead cold--which is very possible.

• Downvote 1

Pitching matchups:

Tigers will obviously send out Verlander while the Yankees will go with CC Sabathia.

Rangers will go with C.J. Wilson for and the Rays will probably have James Shields out there.

Brewers named Yovani Gallardo their number 1 starter.

Diamondbacks would have to go with Ian Kennedy.

Halladay for the Philles and not sure about who the Cards are pitching game 1.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/?tcid=mm_mlb_schedule

Oh look, the Cardinals make the playoffs and JD cares about baseball again. :p

Don't have a good feeling about playing the Cards but we really shouldn't lose unless our lineup goes dead cold--which is very possible.

I posted in here 3 days ago >_> :dry:

According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosnethal, the Red Sox are expected to part ways Friday with manager Terry Francona.

From Rosenthal's description, it sounds like a mutual split. Francona won't be fired; the Red Sox simply won't exercise his options for 2012 and 2013. And he'll be free to sign with any other club as soon as the paperwork is finalized. It's a sad and tragic end to a failed Boston season. But with managerial openings in Chicago and perhaps

even the nation's capital, Francona should be back to work within a couple weeks.

Source: FOX Sports

Wonderful start to the postseason... an unexpected 2 hit shutout by a newbie pitcher leading to a Rays win, and a rain delay/possible postponement in New York.

UPDATE: Definitely postponed now. :sigh: I really wanted to see Verlander mow down the Yankees.

Edited by BigBen07

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that "every executive I've talked to in the last 36 hours" thinks Theo

Epstein will be hired as the Cubs' new general manager. Since the Red Sox have a contract option on Epstein for next year, they would first need to grant him permission just to interview with the Cubs, which Sherman says they'll do. It appears that Epstein and Rays GM Andrew Friedman are the Cubs' top two targets, and either would have to be considered a home run hire for a franchise starved for winning.

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter