Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Rusty Smith plans to compete in 2011

The Tennessee Titans are expected to move Vince Young if/when the lockout ends, putting them in the market for a quarterback in the early rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft. In addition to University of Washington quarterback Jake Locker, who the Titans will work out privately today in Seattle, the Titans have shown interest in Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Andy Dalton, and Ryan Mallett, each of whom will workout for and/or meet with the club before April 28. Rusty Smith is the team's only quarterback under contract at this point, and the 2010 sixth-round pick tells John Glennon of The Tennessean that he hopes to get a chance to compete against whoever the team brings in this off-season. "They'll have at least three whenever we start back up," Smith said on Tuesday. "So I'm just hoping to get better and show the coach what I can do." Smith appeared in two games as a rookie, including making his first NFL start, a 20-0 loss to the Houston Texans in Week 12. Smith completed 20-of-40 pass attempts for 200 yards with 4 interceptions on the season, resulting in a passer rating of 25.0.

Source: macsfootballblog

Really? I mean, I expected him to compete for the second or third string position...

Smith completed 20-of-40 pass attempts for 200 yards with 4 interceptions on the season, resulting in a passer rating of 25.0

Those stats? and against the Texans secondary? We'll be 0-16 if he starts next year...If we even have 16 games.

He'd be a good middleman to take the ball from center and hand it to CJ. Put him in Titans.

Yeah. I don't think that looks too good.

he was way over his head when he went in last year, I still think he needs at least another year or two before he's ready to start, but at the same time I think everyone should enter camp ready to compete for a starting spot, especially if you're the only guy under contract at your position, as true as it may be, if he said "there's no way the team should start me this year, they need to bring someone else in because I'll run the team into the shitter" I would want him cut immediately

Watched him play in college at a Western Kentucky game, he threw a pick and got trucked.....Is there anymore to be said?

Lol do you expect him to say," I have no talent, as you saw when we faced one of the worst secondaries, they murdered us 20-0. So no, I do not see myself competing for a job."

I just know he better not be our answer next season. He has the size of a prototype NFL QB, but his arm and head just didn't seem to be there.

I hope he's at least improved.

I just know he better not be our answer next season. He has the size of a prototype NFL QB, but his arm and head just didn't seem to be there.

I hope he's at least improved.

I agree that he's not the answer next year, or probably anytime soon, but from everything I hear the guy works his ass off outside of Sundays, so I wouldn't mind if he sticks around for another year to give the coaches a little more time to evaluate him, especially since with the guys we've got on offense we don't need an elite QB, just a quality starter