SteVo

Greatest Rock Guitarist of All Time Tourney

All preliminary polls are up. Once voting is finished for those, we will proceed with a single-elimination tournament of 32 guitarists. In the meantime, I need samples for the following guitarists, preferably just studio versions of popular songs, and preferably not from any solo work they've done, though that's not a dealbreaker.

Robin Trower

Mark Knopfler

Marty Friedman

Buckethead

Frank Zappa

I'll leave the Zappa to Sean.

Edited by BlaineDifference

Marty Friedman:

• Upvote 1

ZAPPA!

Not the greatest sound quality, but the guitar solo quality is ill

Is it too late to nominate Walter Becker?

Music isn't PURELY subjective though. I would say that Motzart was a hell of a lot more talented than Lil Wayne wouldn't you? I would say the the music Motzart created took a lot more ability and hard work than the last Drake album. There are certain things that are measurable in music. It's not just something where everyone's opinion is right and all music is good because SOMEBODY out there enjoys it. No, some music sucks. Some musicians are overrated and there are levels of talent amongst musicians.

While I agree that nobody can tell you what music to listen to. I know that it's unlikely that somebody would change your mind about a band or musician that you like, but the bottom line is if you listen to Raffi and you're a grown ass man there's something wrong with you.

This needed to be said.

ZAPPA!

Not the greatest sound quality, but the guitar solo quality is ill

Frank Starts in on the guitar about halfway in:

Maybe not his greatest guitar work ever, still love these next two songs:

Edited by GA_Eagle

The preliminary round is officially over. John Petrucci, James Hetfield, and John Frusciante are our winners. Now we have 32 guitarists who will duke it out in single-elimination fashion. I shall put polls up for the round of 32 shortly.

The round of 32 is complete! Alex Lifeson, B.B. King, and Stevie Ray Vaughan were the only lower seeds who won in an "upset," and Eric Clapton is the only winner by unanimous vote.

Sweet sixteen polls going up now.

To say hes better is fine to say that he's definetly better is a total strecth. Other than walk of life how many people know of Dire Straits work ? In Respone to Stevie's reply in the round of 32 reply.

We're on the home stretch, gentlemen. Final four polls are up. Our final four guitarists consist of two #1 seeds, a #3, and a #7. The end is near...

I know I missed the voting and all but if I had to put my top 5 out there it would be.

1.) SRV

2.) Zakk Wylde

3.) Jimi Hendrix

4.) Yngwie Malmsteen

5.) Eric Clapton

John Petrucci is missing, and he's technically more skilled than anybody we've listed so far.

I have his instructional video, and lemme tell ya..that dudes hands aren't human...

I am impressed with reading your posts on this, you dudes know your damn guitarists pretty well..seen some names on there that 95% of sports fans never heard of..yngwie malmsteen, michael angelo batio,uli jon roth....impressive..

I always hate ranking guitarist in some order, because the instrument can be played so many different ways and genres, that it becomes difficult to rank them without a bias in genre..

so, i will list my fav 5 players...

1- gotta have randy rhoads as my personal top, best/not best whatever..the dude made me wanna learn to play just like him, like he did millions of people...

2-john petrucci--love that player man...

3-david gilmour--my personal fav of the blues scale wranglers, I knwo he may not be the best bluesman, but I love how this guy bends and shakes strings..

4-steve vai---seen this guy live, and yes--he can pull off everything live that you hear...one cool thing about him, he stopped the show, and spent about 5 minutes looking at every single person in the room, one by one scanning across all of us, in a small club of about 400-500 people..seemed weird, until i realized what he was doing, and I have never seen nor heard of any musician on stage making it a point, to make you the fan-feel good when he finished and said "thank you all for coming" and you realized, he actuallty meant it...wild player, liquid fluid-crazy...LOL!..

5--alex lifeson---love his style, and yyz is a bitch to play clean on the main riff..or it is for me at least...

these may not be the best guitarist of all time, and yes--left many out..but these are the ones i spent most of my time listening to, and after all--isn't that the whole idea?..you may be great technically, but can you marry your technique into a good song?

cause i love paul gilbert....but i hated that fag band he had after racer x...LOL!..