Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Panthers to pass on Cam Newton at No. 1?

Per Rotoworld.com:

Former high-ranking Panthers executive Tony Softli predicts that Carolina will pass on Cam Newton and take Alabama DT Marcell Dareus with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

"They need defensive linemen. They have for awhile," says Softli, who also has a history with the Rams. "I really think they're gonna pass on Cam Newton. ... I really believe it's gonna be the defensive tackle." While we still take everything with a grain of salt, it's important to note that Softli's info has been solid this offseason. He was the first to point out Adrian Clayborn's Erb Palsy condition, and among the first to explicitly report on Ryan Mallett's drug use at Arkansas.

Source: 101 ESPN St. Louis Apr 22, 6:33 PM

That wouldn't be a bad move by them

It surely seems like a much safer pick, especially with a defensive minded head coach.

That wouldn't be a bad move by them

not bad? It would be smart. lol

It surely seems like a much safer pick, especially with a defensive minded head coach.

Safer, and smarter. Good combination. Do it live, Carolina.

Unless Carolina wants to see Cam Newton get bent on every fucking down by John Abraham and Adrain Clayborne, I suggest they pass on this weakass motherfucker. The team that takes him is going to be bent so goddamned hard.

• Upvote 1

I think Cam Newton can be a successful NFL quarterback, but he's got to sit for a year or two. They try to put him in right away and it's gonna get ugly. I say keep your faith in Clausen for another year and take Dareus. Like F4E said, it's a safe and smart pick that would fill Carolina's biggest need. Sounds like a good call to me. I think Patrick Peterson would be a good pick as well.

Also, just to throw something out there, what happens if Carolina drafts Cammy Cam, decides to sit him for a year, but then Clausen beasts it up?

Also, just to throw something out there, what happens if Carolina drafts Cammy Cam, decides to sit him for a year, but then Clausen beasts it up?

Excellent question for which I have no answer. They should go with the safe defensive line pick or like Stevo said Patrick Peterson which would be my personal choice.

:shrug: Cam-Cam becomes trade bait...

They SHOULD draft Dareus or Peterson. Dareus because they have a gaping hole in the middle of their defense or Peterson because.. well.. he's the best player in the draft. Cam NEEDS to sit a at least a couple seasons if not then there is a strong possibility of bust. He's way to raw to throw in there right away.

Clausen deserves another shot and also who knows what will become of Matt Moore :ninja:. Maybe if Clausen dosen't 'beast' or at least plays decent -which judging from last season shouldn't be impossible- Moore can come in and play like he did when Delhomme got benched. IF both don't work out then hey, hellooooo Andrew Luck...

Picking Cam Newton in the top 10 is a major mistake unless you've got a higher pick team willing to trade for him.

If nothing else, unless if they trade back... They might kinda have there hands forced into grabbing a QB with that pick... Not necessarily Newton, but a QB nonetheless... (Gabbert)