Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Backstabbing and Betrayal, Let's Play Diplomacy

Diplomacy? What's that?

Diplomacy is a board game created by Alan Calhamer in 1956 and published by Hasbro. The game, set in Europe at the turn of the 20th century puts the players in control of one of Europe's 7 great powers (Austria, England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia and Turkey) and they must 'diplome' with one another to become the undisputed masters of Europe by taking over more than half of the continent.

Spring1901-2.jpg

So how do you play this?

Set in Europe at 1900CE, each player takes the place of a great power of Europe (Austria-Hungary, England, France, Germany, Italy, Russia or Turkey) and attempts to hack their way to the top by controlling 51% of the supply centers (also known as those little black circles). There are 34 supply centers, so 18 are required for a player to claim a win. A draw can also be called if all surviving players agree to it.

Each player controls a number of units, of which there are 2 types, fleets and armies. Fleets can occupy coastal land or sea spaces while armies can occupy any land space. ALL units can take control of supply centers, support other units to move or hold and move one space at a time. Each unit is allowed to make one action per turn. The real meat of the game comes from the fact that units are able to interact with those controlled by a different player, allowing for a huge range of cooperational movement and thus necessitating the aforementioned diplomacy.

Years are made up of 5 phases, spring turn, when units are given orders, spring retreats, when dislodged units have to be moved out of their boardspace or destroyed. Fall turn works the same way as spring, except that a unit in any supply center after fall retreats will claim ownership of it. This leads us onto the final phase of the year, when the player is able to build new units in their home centers (those owned at the start of the game) in proportion to the number of supply centers they have gained that year.

I want to play, what do I need to do?

Just declare you want to play, which country you want in order of preference (AEFRIGT means Austria First, England Second, Turkey Last), and have a way to contact me and other players, either by PM's or some instant messenger.

I'll go into more detail about the specifics of moving in the next post and I'll be running this in JDip. http://jdip.sourceforge.net/

Edited by RazorStar

There are two types of units- Armies(A) (marked with a tank) and Fleets(F) (marked with a ship). Only one unit of a given player may occupy a territory (no stacking). Each can only move one space a turn (unless a convoy occurs, see below).

BOTH ARMIES AND FLEETS CAN CLAIM SUPPLY CENTERS!

A unit can be given one of four orders each turn:

-Hold

-Move

-Support

-Convoy (fleets only)

Hold:

If you do not give a unit an order, it is considered to be holding. It will defend to the best of its ability.

Move:

Armies can move between land spaces. For example,

Austria: A Vie-Tyr

Move1.jpg

means the army in Vienna(Vie) will try to move to Tyrolia(Tyr).

Fleets can move from coastal space to coastal space, ocean space to ocean space, or one to the other. The fleet currently in Brest at the start of the game can make any of the following moves:

Move5.jpg

F Bre-Mao, F Bre-Eng, F Bre-Pic, or F Bre-Gas. Note that France cannot do F Bre-Par as you cannot move a fleet to an inland space.

Moving into a contested/occupied space results in combat. Combat is a simple numbers game. Every unit is of equal strength. If a unit tries to move into an occupied space, it fails. If two units try to move into the same space, they both fail. If the following orders were given...

Germany: A Ber-Sil

Russia: A War-Sil

Austria: A Vie-Boh

Move2.jpg

...the German and Russian units hold position as it is a standoff (they have the same strength, so neither is allowed to conquer Silesia). There is no one stopping Austria's unit from moving into Bohemia, so that order succeeds. This is what the result would look like.

Move3.jpg

Support:

The key to combat is support. You can have an unit support a move action into a space that they could move that turn, giving the moving unit more "strength". In that same scenario, if the orders were like this...

Germany: A Ber-Sil

A Mun S A Ber-Sil

Russia : A War-Sil

Austria: A Vie-Boh

Move4.jpg

...the army in Berlin would move into Silesia, as it has the "strength" of two units with the support of the unit in Munich. The Russian army in Warsaw is forced to hold, and the Austrian move into Bohemia is unaffected.

Move6.jpg

A unit cannot support a moving unit if it is under attack from a country it isn't supporting an move towards. This is commonly referred to as "cutting support".

For example, if Italy had an army in Tyrolia and ordered A Tyr-Mun that turn, the unit in Munich could not support the unit moving into Silesia (it's preoccupied with the attacking unit). This would result in a standoff for control of Silesia, forcing the units in Berlin and Warsaw to hold.

A unit can also support a holding unit, giving it the "strength" of an extra defender. It would take three units (one attacking, two supporting) for the attacking country to overcome the defender in this case, and one more supporter for each additional "defender".

Your units can be supported by another Power's units with or without your consent. Sometimes your "friends" may give you a hand just to get you out of the way...

Convoy

An army can move more than one space via a convoy. In this example, Italy has a fleet in Tys.

Move7.jpg

Italy wants to set up a base in Africa this turn. He could write the following order...

Italy: A Rom-Tun

F Tys C Rom-Tun

Move8.jpg

...to move his army in Rome(Rom) to Tunisia(Tun) in one turn.

Move9.jpg

If Italy had a fleet in Wes as well, he could use this order...

Italy: A Rom-Spa

F Tys C Rom-Spa

F Wes C Rom-Spa

...to move his army from Rome to Spain in one turn. Another Great Power can help convoy your army, but make sure all the fleets involved give the correct orders. "Mistakes" have been known to happen...

Retreating:

All dislodged units must retreat one space simultaneously after all orders have been executed. They may not move into the space the attacker just left or into a space left empty because of a standoff. If they can't move, or if two retreating units move to the same space, they are disbanded (removed from play).

Reinforcements/Disbanding

Each Supply Center you control supports one of your units. After each Fall turn (every other turn), you will gain or lose units based on the number of Supply Centers you have. If you have more Centers than you did last Fall, you may place new units in your unoccupied home Supply Centers. If they are all occupied, you will have to wait until next Fall.

If you have less Centers than you did last Fall, you will have to remove units from the board until you have one for each Center you control.

Diplomacy

Diplomacy is the key to the game. You are only bound by your submitted orders each turn. You are not required to follow any other verbal or written agreements. Promises, lying, manipulation, and backstabbing are all fair game. However, they're also fair game to everyone else...

That's pretty much it! This should get you through about 95% of all movement and conflict resolution, barring more complicated chain reactions and stuff. You shouldn't have any problems following along at home.

Edited by RazorStar

Wouldn't you rather play a nice game of chess?

• Upvote 1

France

hahaha, chess doesn't have backstabs like this.

Sign-ups so far:

Austria - RZB

Germany - Barracuda

England - Tridentdawgpound

Italy - Zack of Steel

France - Matthew

Russia - BLAINE GABBERT LOVER

Turkey - JD

Current Status:

Winter1901-1902.jpg

Edited by RazorStar

Germany please :D

I'd like to be Spain.. but if I can't, Austria.

Yeah there is no Spain in this game, other than being a territory. thanks for being Austria.

Russia?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Sweet deal Vin, now we just need someone to be those wacky Ottomans.

Edited by RazorStar

Because I'm running the game. Think about it. What would I do if I knew everyone's order's before hand? I'd cheat my way to victory every time and I'd have such an unfair advantage. You couldn't say to me "Oh, I'm totally gonna leave the black sea open this turn", and then send your orders where you have a fleet rushing in there. I'd see it coming and make my order to adjust to your stab. Do you see?

Because I'm running the game. Think about it. What would I do if I knew everyone's order's before hand? I'd cheat my way to victory every time and I'd have such an unfair advantage. You couldn't say to me "Oh, I'm totally gonna leave the black sea open this turn", and then send your orders where you have a fleet rushing in there. I'd see it coming and make my order to adjust to your stab. Do you see?

I figured everything was automated on the site you linked to.

No, It's a downloadable program. I'm running it like this so the rest of the board can see it, but I know there are online sites that do this as well.

Seriously, just one more nucka.

JD confirmed via Shoutbox that he would be the Sultan of Turkey. We have 7 players now, so the game can begin now.

You have 24 hours to submit your orders for the Spring of 1901. Remember the rules above on moving, and using Jdip will help you know which moves are good and bad, and which ones you can do if you don't quite understand, or aren't sure. Remember to talk with the other players, there's a reason this game is called diplomacy.

Orders are due by April 28th at 11:20 PM EST

Spring1901-2.jpg

You should know this out by geographical location, but just in case:

Purple is King Trident of England

Blue is Prime Minister Matthew of France

Gray is Kaiser Barracuda of Germany

Green is President Zack of Steel of Italy

Red is Archduke RZB of Austria

White is Czar Vindifference of Russia

and Yellow is Sultan Favre4Ever of Turkey

Can you post the images from a different host? I can't see any of the images so it's hard to wrap my head around the rules of moving.

yeah those images are from someone else. I'll put new ones of my own up.

Alright, you've got about 12 hours to get your orders in. I wonder how communication is going between you guys, we've got some interesting moves going on.

images for moving have been fixed as well, so any misunderstanding there should be eliminated.

Alright, Matthias asked for a 30 minutes extension a while back and it looks like he's using it. The update will be post once I get his orders, or when the 30 minutes is up, whichever comes first.

Alright. All orders are in, I'll start working on this update once the Packers pick.

It was the spring of renewal in Europe, seven major powers lead by capable leaders stood at the forefront of a new age. Their armies and navies grew in size as they prepared to march. Their goal? Conquest of the country and power in the world as we know it. These great leaders begun mobilizing, ready to threaten the balance of power.

TurkeySpring1901.jpg

We begin in the east, with the Sultan of Turkey, the honorable JD. Not trusting the filthy Russians, he moves his army in Smyrna to Syria, and his fleet in Ankara towards Armenia. He also makes his move toward Bulgaria, attempting to control the southern part of the black sea, and make preparations against the juggernaut in the North. How will the Czar respond to such a threat on his territory?

RussiaSpring1901.jpg

Vin responds by holding in the South, and advancing west with his fleets in the North. The Czar is playing conservatively, trying to feel out his opponents while he marches towards the supply centres in Scandanavia. The Bear must not have interest in the Balkans, or maybe he made a deal with the Arch-Duke of Austria.

Austria-ItalySpring1901.jpg

Arch-Duke Rzb gladly takes Russia's kindness to heart, his arms move south into the Balkans, claiming the supply centre in Rumania, and moving his fleet in position to take Greece in the next turn. If he isn't stopped he could have some serious military strength next year. Lastly, he moves his forces in Vienna towards Tyrolia, threatening both the supply centres in Munich and Venice.

The Presdient of Italy allows rzb to march into Tyrolia untouched, choosing instead to hold his position in Venice, and wait for the reinforcements from Rome, which move their way into Tuscany unimpeded. Lastly, he moves his fleet in Naples down towards the Ionian Sea,, a key position between the supply centres in both Tunisia and Greece. Zack sets himself up well, to defend against attack from the north, while also moving to claim supply centres in the south.

GermanySpring1901.jpg

Meanwhile, in Germany the Kaiser Barracuda prepare his armies against his foes to the west, making a slow migration over, while claiming the supply centre in Denmark for himself.If he is able to maneuver effectively in his next turn, he could gain 3 supply centres with little struggle and become a force to be reckoned with. Will France and England decide to stand against this aggression?

FranceSpring1901.jpg

Prime Minister Matthew agrees that he has enemies to his East, so he makes an aggressive move, moving his armies east to Burgundy and Piedmont, getting within striking position of both Italian and German supply centres. The prime minister even takes a shot at England, attempting to claim the English channel for himself. Will the Prime Minister's moves pay off, or is he spreading himself thin?

EnglandSpring1901.jpg

The King of the Bangies does not allow the French into the channel, Claiming that no frenchman should ever enter our water, he denies them the opportunity, moving his own fleet there to stop Matthew's advance. Other than that, he holds in Edinburgh for some strange reason, and sends his army in Liverpool down toward Yorkshire. He doesn't have a convoy in place for the unit, so it will remain stranded until next year. Has Lolbangy fail poisoned the mind of the king?

All in All, the orders look like this:

Spring1901Orders.jpg

and the result of these orders is

Fall1901-1.jpg

No Retreats or Disbands have to be made. You might need more time to get your orders in, and spend some time talking with your neighbours, so you have 36 Hours from the time of this post to get your orders in.

Orders due by 1 PM Eastern on April 30th