Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Drew Brees: Owners saw Gene Upshaw’s death as an opportunity

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 26, 2011, 4:23 PM EDT

As one of the named plaintiffs in the players’ lawsuit against the owners, Saints quarterback Drew Brees has closely monitored the labor situation. And he traces the current problems to the day the former head of the NFL Players’ Association died.

But Brees doesn’t believe the problem is that Gene Upshaw’s death left the players without a leader. Instead, Brees says the owners perceived that the players were left without a leader, and they thought they could cash in on Upshaw’s passing.

“Ever since Gene Upshaw passed away — I’m just going to lay it all out there — the owners saw blood in the water,†Brees told Jim Trotter of SI.com. “They felt like, ‘This is our opportunity to take a significant piece of the [financial] pie back at all costs, a piece that we will never have to give back again. This is our chance, while they don’t have leadership, while they’re scrambling to find a new executive director. This is our time.’â€

It’s incredibly distasteful to think about the owners celebrating the death of a Pro Football Hall of Famer who is one of the most significant figures in NFL history, but Brees believes that that’s how the owners viewed Upshaw’s death: A time when the players weren’t prepared to do anything other than accept what they were offered.

“Their philosophy was, We’re going to give you a very subpar deal, a slap-in-the-face deal, and hope that you’ll accept it because hopefully we’ve intimidated you enough into thinking that this is a take-it-or-leave-it deal, and you’re just going to succumb to the pressure,†Brees said. “Well, guess what. We’re a lot more informed and educated than in the past, and we’re much better businessmen than you think and we’re going to stand up for what is right and what is fair. Fifty-fifty is fair. It’s been fair for the last 20 years and I think the game has done pretty well over the last 20 years. I think franchise values have gone up at a pretty good rate over the last 20 years. So you can’t sit here and tell me that the system is broken.â€

The players wanted to keep playing under the deal they negotiated under Upshaw’s leadership, and now that the owners have opted out of that deal, Brees says the players remain united.

“This fight was brought to us, and we feel like we were backed into a corner,†Brees said. “We’re trying to fight our way out of it.â€

Source: ProFootballTalk

I have really grown to dislike Drew Brees.

If anything, the players are taking advantage of Upshaw's death. They went from a money hungry ex-player who sat in the owners pocket, to a blood thirsty, fear mongering, incident lurking lawyer who doesn't give two shits about ANYTHING other than squeezing the most money out of the owners as possible. The head of the Union should be concerned with A LOT of different issues.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

STFU Brees, your defense for the players is pathetic, because you obviously want more money too or else you wouldn't be fucking with the owners about it as we speak, fucking faggot.

As I said in the shoutbox yesterday...

Drew needs to quit being a fucking child and shut the fuck up. Both sides throwing out negative, unnecessary comments is counterproductive. How about this DREW...how about you THINK before you open your stupid mouth.

Im pretty sure the players knew what they were doing when they decided to hire a lawyer for the job instead of a former player, or any one else for that matter. I am also pretty sure they knew what kind of lawyer De Smith was when they decided. As well as I am pretty sure if the players didn't like the job De Smith was doing for them you would hear at least some uproar from some of the players against De Smith.

What Brees is saying, as much as we as fans may disagree with it, it may or may not be true. If anybody Drew Brees, a person who's had a huge role on this from the start would know what he's talking about. This whole thing has been a game of pr from the start... And We as fans knowing as little as we do about this whole thing shouldn't be so quick to take sides, or to attack what one person says... Considering some of the things the owners have said as well.

• Upvote 1

Im pretty sure the players knew what they were doing when they decided to hire a lawyer for the job instead of a former player, or any one else for that matter. I am also pretty sure they knew what kind of lawyer De Smith was when they decided. As well as I am pretty sure if the players didn't like the job De Smith was doing for them you would hear at least some uproar from some of the players against De Smith.

What Brees is saying, as much as we as fans may disagree with it, it may or may not be true. If anybody Drew Brees, a person who's had a huge role on this from the start would know what he's talking about. This whole thing has been a game of pr from the start... And We as fans knowing as little as we do about this whole thing shouldn't be so quick to take sides, or to attack what one person says... Considering some of the things the owners have said as well.

That isn't the point DMac...

EITHER side making unnecessary, negative comments about the other has a negative effect one way or another. It can takes two steps forward right back where they started. It has absolutely NO positive influence towards negotiating a new deal...at all.

True or not is not the issue...if Drew wants to help and be a true leader, he can shut his damn mouth and help as much as he can in a positive, more productive manner.

My .02 cents anyway.

Edited by BucD
  • Upvote 1

That isn't the point DMac...

EITHER side making unnecessary, negative comments about the other has a negative effect one way or another. It can takes two steps forward right back where they started. It has absolutely NO positive influence towards negotiating a new deal...at all.

True or not is not the issue...if Drew wants to help, and be a true leader, he can shut his damn mouth and help as much as he can in a positive, more productive manner.

My .02 cents anyway.

What your saying, I agree with and I hadn't thought about.

I just happened to be reading a lot of the comments at PFT underneath the article, and seems more like people are bashing Drew Brees for the content of what he's saying, instead of the fact he opened his mouth to begin with.

Like I said earlier... The players benefited more from Upshaw's death than the owners did. If Upshaw was alive, none of this shit would be going down.

I wrote an article about it on BR, but it got blacklisted... lmao

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/714370-drew-brees-shows-bad-taste-proves-ignorance-with-upshaw-comments

I dislike Brees as much as anyone else, but this has some credence. Money rules this world. Morality barely exists anymore, so for all these owners, whose world is completely defined by money, this would be a very logical reaction to the guy's death.

Seriously, do you think these guys are more concerned with their morals than their money? I don't. The players are asking for the same deal, which benefited them greatly. Compromise needs to be met. The new CBA needs to offer more post-retirement coverage and the players need to accept lower average salaries. Because honestly, NONE of them are worth their paycheck.

I dislike Brees as much as anyone else, but this has some credence. Money rules this world. Morality barely exists anymore, so for all these owners, whose world is completely defined by money, this would be a very logical reaction to the guy's death.

Seriously, do you think these guys are more concerned with their morals than their money? I don't. The players are asking for the same deal, which benefited them greatly. Compromise needs to be met. The new CBA needs to offer more post-retirement coverage and the players need to accept lower average salaries. Because honestly, NONE of them are worth their paycheck.

You forgot the little fact that De Smith doesn't give a rats ass about retired players. If the current players were worried about players of the past, instead of themselves... Troy Vincent would be Executive Director

You forgot the little fact that De Smith doesn't give a rats ass about retired players. If the current players were worried about players of the past, instead of themselves... Troy Vincent would be Executive Director

This is true.

Wouldn't it be great if lower salaried players represented the Union and could agree to a feasible new CBA? A CBA that would actually make it impossible for big name players to land ridiculous contracts. I think it'd hilarious, yet completely realistic. I'd love to see that happen. It won't, but it'd be awesome.