Sign in to follow this  
Bangy

American Summer Camps

Right guys I need your help basically I need your help, I am planning on applying to Camp America for next summer. For those of you who don't know this is where people from around the world can go to America by working as a helper/counsellor at one of the many summer camps out there. Well I am going to apply for it next summer but would like to know where is going to be good as I don't want to go to a camp in the middle of no where with fuck all to do.

I have a few places in mind like Denver, Oregon, Florida, Cailfornia and maybe Philly just as a few but where would be really good to go for the camps and then the free time. I also get the chance to stay and travel America for a month afterwards so I may catch some of you around. If you can give me a few ideas that would be great.

What do you like to do?

^ LMFAO...

In all seriousness, GA asked a very important question, because your answer(s) to it will determine what we can recommend.

I pray, for our sake, you don't make it past customs.

:rofl:

These are just a few cities that I would recommend. I'm sure other members can contribute to the list.

Seattle, Washington

Portland, Oregon

Sacramento, California

Los Angeles, California

San Francisco, California

Las Vegas, Nevada

Denver, Colorado

Colorado Springs, Colorado

Austin, Texas

Dallas, Texas

Houston, Texas

New Orleans, Louisiana

Orlando, Florida

Miami, Florida

New York City, New York

What do you like to do?

In all seriousness, GA asked a very important question, because your answer(s) to it will determine what we can recommend.

I am a qualified sports coach in Cricket and soon to be in Soccer so it would be mainly in sports etc. I think that would mean I could go for either a sports specific counsellor or general counsellor but I don't mind with either tbh. I want to do it as it is A) a cheapish way into America but B) something like this would be great on my CV of stuff I have done.

Oh an nice one on the list of places Fartwaffles its appreciated and wow Doggie was actually funny for once some one get him a cookie

Edited by Rodgers2Driver

Well just letting you know that your expertise in cricket won't mean much in america.

• Upvote 1

Yea I know hence why I am going for the soccer but gaving the cricket coaching gave me first aid and child protection. I also gave lifeguarding from school

Well, there are three big cities that you will get a slice of America from and each is unique. These are places that those from across the world are used to seeing in movies etc, in Chicago, New York and LA. None are really rife with "Americana" which implies a more small town atmosphere.

The problem with trying to experience all of the country is its just damn big. You will have a completely unique experience in every region, with different types of people, ways of talking, social values etc.

If you're interested in seeing history (though we have little in comparison to Europe as far as documented history), I recommend the East Coast, though the West and Midwest also has a unique and interesting history, despite being "newer" (cowboys and indians as well as Spanish influence etc... woo stereotypes)

The West has a large amount of natural beauty, and outdoor activity types of things to do, not that you can't get that in the East, its just more densely populated with cities. Being from a pretty densely populated place, it ight be really interesting to see the west (not Cali) just to try and get a sense of the sheer amount of SPACE. Its tough for me to wrap my mind around it sometimes, being from the East.

Americans love their sports so there shouldn't be a problem with playing soccer or catching a Baseball game (or whatever is in season) no matter where you are

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 1

Cleveland. Rock Hall of Fame and hour drive from the Football Hall of Fame. BOOM.

Naw, you don't really want to stay in Cleveland.

Cleveland. Rock Hall of Fame and hour drive from the Football Hall of Fame. BOOM.

Naw, you don't really want to stay in Cleveland.

Don't go to Cleveland. :)

I feel obligated to mention Chicago. Don't listen to GA about how Chicago doesn't represent America becuase it isn't "small towny."

1. America can mean different things to different people. Just becuase you live in a small town doesn't mean you represent the country.

2. Each neighborhood in Chicago is like it's own little small town. You've got your "Ma and Pa" shops, your neighborhood churches, etc.

3. I live in a small town just outside Chicago and love it here. I love The Chicago area and really the Midwest in general.

Other than Chicago, here are some areas that Ive been to:

-St. Louis, MO - Its alright. Nice downtown. Everything else is rundown.

-Milwaukee. WI - Again, just alright.

-Indianapolis, IN - Very nice. An up and coming city.

-Los Angeles, CA - It depends if this is what you want. Almost always something going on that jamming the city.

-Tampa, FL - Highly reccomend. Beautiful, warm, fun.

-Ohio - Avoid it. No offense to anyone.

-Michigan's western coast - Avoid Detroit, but the towns in the western portion of the Lower Penninsula are some of my favorite places to vacation.

-Arizona - Loved this state when I was there. Beautiful scenery, lots of fun stuff to do, great weather.

-Houston, TX - Texas is a great place to live (so Ive heard) but isn't a great place if you're looking to vacation. I just stopped by.

-Outer Banks, NC - Another one of my favorite beach places in the country. Also, I believe it is the most underrated vacation spot in the country.

-New Jersey - A nice state with a bad reputation. Great shoreline and close to NYC.

-Wisconsin (outside Milwaukee) - We Chicagoans are known to vacation here a lot. Tons of SUMMER CAMPS here, many of which are on beautiful lakes. Should have put this at the top since I know a lot about the summer camp situation there.

Hope I helped! Hope you end up coming over here!

• Upvote 1

Stay in america

Don't listen to GA about how Chicago doesn't represent America becuase it isn't "small towny."

I think you missed my point. I was trying to impress that each type of area is something different. oh well. Going to a big city will not give you the down homeyness but he could be into seeing the city.

Its kinda obvious so I didn't think it needed to be completely worded out.

edit: If it were me I would stay in a place like Chicago/LA/NY and take a road trip through small town america. Chicago would be your best bet for that kinda trip, imo so you are onto something.

Edited by GA_Eagle

I think you missed my point. I was trying to impress that each type of area is something different. oh well. Going to a big city will not give you the down homeyness but he could be into seeing the city.

Its kinda obvious so I didn't think it needed to be completely worded out.

edit: If it were me I would stay in a place like Chicago/LA/NY and take a road trip through small town america. Chicago would be your best bet for that kinda trip, imo so you are onto something.

Sure maybe downtown you wont get the homeyness, but if you go out to the neighborhoods you'll find people living not too differently than a small towner would.

There is no doubt that it would be cool to see some smaller towns, but to be honest, the whole notion that people who live in cities live completely different lifestyles than those in small towns is overrated. Sure a lot of things are different with the way we do things, but many things are the same.

If you're going after the soccer thing, you may want to try places with MLS teams. They obviously have the larger soccer following so maybe the "culture shock" wouldn't be too strong on you.

Portland, Chicago, New York, Dallas, DC, Philly, Houston, Boston, LA. Any of these would be fun.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the input guys it has really helped me out, I obviously have a long time to wait with it being next summer but I will deffinatley be doing it even if I have to starve for a few months to get there lol.

GA thanks for you major input as I was leaning towards the west coast and Colorado in particular so this has made me want to go that way more. I shall keep you all updated as the process goes on.