Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Salary Cap to be around $120-123 million

Per Rotoworld:

ESPN's John Clayton reports the salary cap for the 2011 season will be $120 million.

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora has the cap at close to $123 million with exceptions that will make it "feel" like $130 million. This year's cap will also come with a salary floor, adding a new element. Some teams will have to spend in free agency to meet the floor while others will have their hands tied near the cap. This news is the final touch in a Thursday chalk full of progress. As Chris Mortensen suggested, "Even skeptical participants among negotiating teams are almost stunned at momentum resolving [the] remaining issues."

Source: ESPN.com

More good news about the lockout coming to an end. I also find the salary floor a very interesting concept that will add a nice spin during free agency.

The salary floor is definitely a new, interesting wrinkle...should be interesting to see how it affects the lower budget teams.

Looks like the Bucs will need to make some moves in FA now with the salary floor. Wouldn't mind seeing us overpay for Nnamdi.

I actually like the idea of a floor. Keeps things interesting. This is awesome progress. Along with the rookie wage scale, things are moving along.

arent all 32 teams required to spend the same amount for the seasons roster?

(i think so)

for instance if a team is under the the cap 12 million by a certain deadline then that money would be divided between the players on that said roster?

What if they need to make a late season roster addition, to replace PUP or disgruntled players?

What if they need to make a late season roster addition, to replace PUP or disgruntled players?

good question, if its past the deadline i have no idea.

(this is what i read from a guys post at CC who is an attourney.)

Looks like the Bucs will need to make some moves in FA now with the salary floor. Wouldn't mind seeing us overpay for Nnamdi.

That isn't a good thing. I don't want the Bucs to be forced to spend massive amounts of money just to get to the floor.

That isn't a good thing. I don't want the Bucs to be forced to spend massive amounts of money just to get to the floor.

Well that's where a good GM comes in. This will separate the great front offices from the bad ones. How they spend the money will make such a huge difference now.

And it's not like you're going to spend a 'massive' amount of money just to be at the floor..

Well that's where a good GM comes in. This will separate the great front offices from the bad ones. How they spend the money will make such a huge difference now.

Dominik has been great with the draft, but he hasn't shown much in FA yet. I know the Bucs pretty much sat out FA last year, but the year before he offered Haynesworth more than what the Redskins did, gave Derrick Ward a big deal, signed Mike Nugent to a decent deal and signed Byron Leftwich. Really, I don't like FA in the NFL. More often than not, free agents don't live up to the deal they get and teams are usually hosed in FA deals. I love what the Bucs have been doing with the youth approach.

And it's not like you're going to spend a 'massive' amount of money just to be at the floor..

Well the salary floor is supposed to be around 111 million. The Bucs payroll is somewhere between 58-60 million. So just to hit the floor, the Bucs will have to spend 50+ million in just a matter of weeks. I'm hoping the league won't inforce the salary floor this year, because not only the Bucs, but several teams are way below it and is silly to expect so many teams to add so much payroll in a short period of time.

I'd like the Bucs to re-sign a couple key guys, add a corner and maybe look into the O-line. But the idea of HAVING to be really active in FA isn't a good one to me.

I never said it was a good thing. I'm just saying now that we will have to spend some money this off-season, I wouldn't mind seeing a lot of it going to Asomugha. The only reason I bring this up is because there were rumors flying around about a week or two ago about us throwing $19 mil at him which would make him the highest paid CB ever.

Edited by GoodellFTL

Dominik has been great with the draft, but he hasn't shown much in FA yet. I know the Bucs pretty much sat out FA last year, but the year before he offered Haynesworth more than what the Redskins did, gave Derrick Ward a big deal, signed Mike Nugent to a decent deal and signed Byron Leftwich. Really, I don't like FA in the NFL. More often than not, free agents don't live up to the deal they get and teams are usually hosed in FA deals. I love what the Bucs have been doing with the youth approach.

Well the salary floor is supposed to be around 111 million. The Bucs payroll is somewhere between 58-60 million. So just to hit the floor, the Bucs will have to spend 50+ million in just a matter of weeks. I'm hoping the league won't inforce the salary floor this year, because not only the Bucs, but several teams are way below it and is silly to expect so many teams to add so much payroll in a short period of time.

I'd like the Bucs to re-sign a couple key guys, add a corner and maybe look into the O-line. But the idea of HAVING to be really active in FA isn't a good one to me.

Holy hell. I had no idea it would be that much.

Doesn't look like it'll effect teams too badly if they decide not to be above the cap floor:

The NFL and its players agreed on Thursday night to a $120 million cap with players agreeing to a team minimum cash payroll of 89 percent of the cap as long as the league-wide cash guarantee is 99 percent of the cap, sources said. For example, the Cincinnati Bengals, Buffalo Bills or Jacksonville Jaguars would be required to have a minimum cash payroll of $106.8 million in 2011. If they fail to reach that level by the end of the season, they would distribute the difference to the players on team at the end of the season.

Doesn't sound too bad to me. If the Bucs don't make it to the cap floor, I don't think Freeman, Williams, Blount, Talib, etc wouldn't mind a little extra money..

Doesn't look like it'll effect teams too badly if they decide not to be above the cap floor:

Doesn't sound too bad to me. If the Bucs don't make it to the cap floor, I don't think Freeman, Williams, Blount, Talib, etc wouldn't mind a little extra money..

Not bad, I've also heard the Bucs may only be about 44 million under the floor which is manageable. I just don't want the Bucs to spend a ton of money on long term contracts for veterans then when it comes time to re-up key young guys we'll have to make decisions on who to keep because can't afford everyone.

So.. Either way you are spending that money. You either go out and get new players, or give your current players a huge bonus.

Teams that are close to the floor, probably won't have pressure to go over. But teams like the Bucs, who are so far under the cap will definitely be big buyers, I would think. Why give all of your active roster another million bucks when you can go out and add even more fire power to that arsenal?

It's good for us fans, because it makes the FO be aggressive where they might otherwise be cheap.