Sign in to follow this  
FartWaffles

Patriots trade for Fat Albert

Per Rotoworld:

Patriots acquired DL Albert Haynesworth from the Redskins in exchange for a fifth-round pick in 2013.

The Skins did far better than we thought they would, acquiring three future picks for Haynesworth and Donovan McNabb. Many in the media will praise the Patriots for their "stability" and "brilliance" in making such a move, but they're really just like any other team -- they're talent collectors. And they're willing to gamble. Haynesworth refused to play nose tackle in Washington's 3-4 defense, but the Pats have Vince Wilfork to do that. At the very least, Haynesworth should be an instant impact interior pass rusher in the nickel defense. There's no doubt about it: This move has a low cost and potentially very, very high reward.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

I'm not much of a fan of the move, but a fifth-round pick is essentially nothing for Haynesworth. Maybe Belichick will trade him for more than a fifth-rounder to someone like the Eagles.

If Haynesworth is going to get motivated anywhere, New England would probably be the place. If he does get motivated, imagine Wilfork and Haynesworth on the same line. confused0053.gif

Edited by GoodellFTL

The whole problem with haynesworth and washington was the fact the he had to play in a 3-4. Now he is traded to another team playing the 3-4. Should be interesting to see how he reacts to the move.

If not for the fact that we didnt have a chance to beat the Pats anyways I'd be really scared about this.

I sure didn't see this one coming...

Haynesworth's biggest problem is his lack of motivation and his disregard for authority. Such was the case for a reciever everyone thought was done....oh Randy Moss. Belichick put him in his place and showed him leadership, control, taught him respect, and ultimately showed him that he was able to win in New England and gave Moss a second chance. Haynesworth has been trashed by fans all across the NFL and has been given up on by the majority-Belichick will again straighten him out and give him the motivation to play to his full potential. Haynesworth along with Wilfork on that defensive line very well could occupy 4 offensive linemen if Haynesworth is back to his old form (Wilfork always demands two), which would open up holes for our young speedy line backers. Patriots fans, this is a blessing in disguise. Belichick knows what he's doing. Our pass rush problems aren't over but they just got a whole lot easier to fix.

Edited by Patriots2994

I love Patriots fans (not on here but people I know). They're going crazy about this move but if the Jets would've done the same move, "oh the Jets just love to grab players with bad character."

Should be interesting to see how this works. If anyone is going to get Haynesworth motivated it's going to be Bill.

I think the question is what is his role and what is his impact. Is he a backup 3-4 NT to Wilfork? Do they try him at end? Do they wanna switch it up and go 4-3? All that 4-3/3-4 complicated mess is what will be interesting to watch them sort out.

I think the question is what is his role and what is his impact. Is he a backup 3-4 NT to Wilfork? Do they try him at end? Do they wanna switch it up and go 4-3? All that 4-3/3-4 complicated mess is what will be interesting to watch them sort out.

My bet is that they line him up at RDE.

Like this low risk/high reward move a lot. If he gets his shit together, then he could be a pretty solid productive player for the Pats. If not, Bill would have no problem kicking his ass to the curb in an instant.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe 3 technique for nickel packages.

I thought FAT ALBERT did not like the 3-4, friggin Bel's Chick is certainly a coach that can get something outta him.

If Haynesworth is going to get motivated anywhere, New England would probably be the place. If he does get motivated, imagine Wilfork and Haynesworth on the same line. confused0053.gif

Key there being that he has to get motivated to do more than just serve his own interests. Good thing Bill doesn't really tolerate shit. If Al acts out, he can afford to toss him I think.

Haynesworth is a physcho, not really a fan of the guy with all the stuff he has done. But if for some reason he turns his attitude around and decides to put some effort in...lookout. I'm not counting on it though.

I thought FAT ALBERT did not like the 3-4, friggin Bel's Chick is certainly a coach that can get something outta him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe RZ posted something that showed how even though he didn't like it, he still did a great job in the 3-4.