Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Panthers lose NT Edwards for season

Panthers NT Ron Edwards is likely to miss the 2011 season after tearing his triceps in training camp.

It's a big blow to the Panthers. Edwards, signed to a three-year, $8.25 million contract last week, was supposed to add girth and run-stopping ability to a soft Carolina interior line. The Panthers will likely pursue an alternative, but the free agent market has been stripped thin. If they stay in-house, third-round rookie Sione Fua is the next best nose tackle option.

Source: Joe Person on Twitter

Isn't this the second year in a row the Panthers have lost a starting defensive tackle to injury in training camp? Rough.

There is only one response to this:

F&@#*%g damn it! Again?

Good thing he signed that extension... ha

Seriously though. I think Fua is going to be fine. He will go through some rookie pains, and playing him is not ideal... But I think he is going to be a solid NFL player.

I'm curious why he's still not officially on IR.

A torn tricep is not going to heal in one season. I know. I've had one. My arm is still screwed up because of it five years later.

Panthers placed NT Ron Edwards (triceps) on injured reserve, ending his season.

Edwards' torn triceps will require surgery, necessitating a lengthy recovery. He signed a three-year, $8.25 million just days before suffering the injury. The Panthers will revisit that commitment in 2012. Corvey Irvin and Sione Fua currently sit atop the Panthers' depth chart at defensive tackle. Deljuan Robinson, formerly of the Texans, was signed to take Edwards' roster spot. Related: Deljuan Robinson

It always sucks to lose a guy especially after giving him an extension. Could this affect Charles Johnson's production?

It always sucks to lose a guy especially after giving him an extension. Could this affect Charles Johnson's production?

I don't think so. Remember, Johnson didn't really have much help beside him last year and he still beasted it up. If Johnson regresses this year, I don't think Edwards will be a large reason.

Erm, wow. I hope this is an end to our injury's. I mean Smith had his "injury" not to long ago in training camp. His didnt turn out nearly as serious as this. But idk if our players are weak or if its the terrible coaching. New coaching staff, so idk. Maybe John Fox wasn't hard enough on the team, which is basically obvious (last season). Idk who to blame, or if i should be putting a blame on anyone.

God let this be an end to injury's in TRAINING CAMP