Sign in to follow this  
SteVo

Cortland Finnegan walks out of Titans camp

Cortland Finnegan has reportedly "walked out" of Titans' training camp due to a contract dispute.

Finnegan is set to make $3.3 million in the final year of a four-year contract this season. The face of the Titans defense, he has some leverage if he's angling for a new long-term deal. What was already going to be a challenging Titans season could get downright ugly if both Finnegan and Chris Johnson miss a large majority of camp.

Source: Jason Cole on Twitter

UPDATE: Cortland Finnigan returns to Titans training camp after team promises him safety. As clever as Jeff Fisher was, he never would have resorted to sending a player's home address to Andre Johnson. Munchak gets 100% of the credit for this incredibly smart move.

^lmao

But I'm thinking Finnegan just wants to be here for the long haul. I don't think he's upset with the money aspect. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

^lmao

But I'm thinking Finnegan just wants to be here for the long haul. I don't think he's upset with the money aspect. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

At the same time, it's really unfortunate that players can hold out in the first place. I mean, you and I can't hold out of our jobs for a new deal and pay $30,000 a day. Just because these guys can, doesn't mean they should be able to.

And it's not like Tennessee wasn't going to make a serious ploy to bring him back after this year. He'd have to be on a serious downslope.

Well, if teams can cut players at the snap of a finger, they should be able to hold out at the snap of a finger. It's only a fair trade off, IMO.

Also, there is a bit of a chance we didn't resign him at the end of this year. Verner and McCourty both really started to come on late last year, playing as well, if not better at times than Finnegan. We'll have to see if they can continue that this year, but there's a chance that the team could move on without Finnegan.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Titans RCB Cortland Finnegan walked out of training camp because he believes the team reneged on a promise to restructure his contract.

It's just like the Osi Umenyiora situation. Finnegan reportedly requested a new deal heading into camp, and said he wanted a trade if the Titans weren't willing to give it to him. He decided to report, however, after HC Mike Munchak, DC Jerry Gray and DBs coach Marcus Robertson all implied "the team would respond positively to his request for a new contract if he reported." It would appear as if they have not, leading Finnegan to last night's decision. Aug 6, 1:06 PM

Source: Yahoo Sports

Finnegan is average at best, imo. He might be good at a pissing contest, but that's about it.

Yea, cortland finnegan is really good at peeing.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Titans GM Mike Reinfeldt says he has no plans to negotiate a new deal with RCB Cortland Finnegan utnil he returns to camp.

It's the same hard-line stance the Titans have taken with Chris Johnson. Although Reinfeldt says he was "shocked" Finnegan went AWOL on Friday evening, he does admit the two sides had been negotiating a new deal in recent days to no avail. This seems like a situation with the potential to get very ugly. Aug 6, 4:37 PM

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

From Finnegan's twitter:

My absence had nothing to do with a holdout yet a personal matter that Titan officials were aware of. I am grateful for being a Titan I am also thankful for my current contract and direction of team. It's obvious media had no idea of why my absence took place I have spoken with coaches and teammates and will resume all things asked. Sad to see media made this out to be about money when I'm happy With all that has been given so forgive me Nashville for media making it seem that way. Media gets paid to report never knowing but one side of a story. My personal issues needed attention and I will be out there playing ball. Look forward to answering questions Tom at practice

http://www.titansonline.com/media-center/videos/CB-Cortland-Finnegan/80368a14-33ec-4516-b281-e4c7b30357ad

Wow, it was an actual heartfelt apology. You can tell he actually meant it. Cortland's a pretty good dude.

Sounded to me more like he's trying to save face. With the way Tennessee handled the Fisher/Young drama, it's definitely the smart move on his part. Being reasonable and respectful will more than likely get him more coin in his pocket than being the usual asshole he's been.

Sounded to me more like he's trying to save face. With the way Tennessee handled the Fisher/Young drama, it's definitely the smart move on his part. Being reasonable and respectful will more than likely get him more coin in his pocket than being the usual asshole he's been.

Saving face would be him making up excuses.

He told the full truth, manned up to his mistakes and took his fine.

And he's not an asshole. He's an outstanding man off the field, and he's no where near as bad as his reputation on the field is.

People think he started the fight vs AJ, but he didn't..Johnson started it by pushing Finnegan when he wasn't looking after the plays had ended. Finnegan, while you can say what you want, is man enough to do it face to face with players. He doesn't have to be a sissy and do it while they aren't looking, like Andre Johnson.

Saving face would be him making up excuses.

He told the full truth, manned up to his mistakes and took his fine.

And he's not an asshole. He's an outstanding man off the field, and he's no where near as bad as his reputation on the field is.

People think he started the fight vs AJ, but he didn't..Johnson started it by pushing Finnegan when he wasn't looking after the plays had ended. Finnegan, while you can say what you want, is man enough to do it face to face with players. He doesn't have to be a sissy and do it while they aren't looking, like Andre Johnson.

Are you really going to try and defend Finnegan in the fight against Johnson? C'mon man...I could strike right back saying that after the push and standoff they had on the play before, Finnegan struck first the second the next play started by sending two fists to Andre's helmet. I could go more into it but I won't since we addressed this almost a year ago lmao...the ratio is 90-10 on AJ's side, dude.

Are you really going to try and defend Finnegan in the fight against Johnson? C'mon man...I could strike right back saying that after the push and standoff they had on the play before, Finnegan struck first the second the next play started by sending two fists to Andre's helmet. I could go more into it but I won't since we addressed this almost a year ago lmao...the ratio is 90-10 on AJ's side, dude.

Yes? That doesn't change the fact that Andre initiated the fight. If you don't want a fight, don't start a fight.

Finnegan gets all the blame for no reason, when Andre started the fight. And like I said, he was a sissy and did it when Finnegan wasn't looking. If he had done it to Finnegan's face, I guarantee you a fight never happens, and Finnegan just plays along with the shove game.

Finnegan has never went in to a fist fight with any player outside of Andre Johnson, so that should tell you something. Finnegan may get more physical than most, but he doesn't throw punches. And I'm tired of him getting all the blame for something that wasn't even his fault. He may have got his ass kicked, but it was just over him standing up for himself, and I'm not about to let him take blame over that.