Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Cowboys release Pro Bowl C Andre Gurode

Per Rotoworld.com:

The National Football Post believes Cowboys C Andre Gurode may be on the trading block.

The Cowboys have made it known they have confidence in second-year G/C Phil Costa, and could save $4.5 million by trading their long-time center. Gurode, 32, underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in June, but has appeared to be healthy after returning to practice last Monday. Aug 21, 8:48 AM

Source: National Football Post

Edited by BLUE

Guest Phailadelphia

Whoa, didn't see this one coming. I guess they have a lot of confidence in Costa/Nagy/Holland/Arkin.

Maybe if they get an offer for a young safety, they would pull the trigger on this. Only reason I could see them doing it.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Phil Costa is battling Andre Gurode for the Cowboys' starting center job.

Gurode has been named to the Pro Bowl for five straight years, but his play has fallen off the past two. He's also returning from knee surgery at age 32. An undrafted free agent in 2010, Costa has made a strong impression on the coaching staff in his two training camps. We doubt the Cowboys would see a drop-off if Costa plays. Aug 25 - 3:30 PM

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Per Rotoworld.com:

Matt Mosley of FOX Sports Dallas confirms that Cowboys C Andre Gurode will be released if he does not accept a pay cut.

The writing was on the wall when Dallas deactivated Gurode for Saturday's third preseason game. Mosley tweets that he'd be "surprised" if Gurode agreed to a cut. The 32-year-old will likely end up hitting unrestricted free agency. Aug 27 - 11:07 PM

Source: Matt Mosley on Twitter

Guest Phailadelphia

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/6906080/dallas-cowboys-cut-pro-bowl-center-andre-gurode-source-says

Andre Gurode is a Cowboy no more.

Unable to reach an agreement on a re-worked contract over the last two days, the Dallas Cowboys decided to part ways with the five-time Pro Bowl center, according to a source, completing an overhaul of the offensive line that started after the lockout ended when they cut right guard Leonard Davis and right tackle Marc Colombo.

Gurode, a second-round pick in 2002, had been the longest-tenured member of the team. He was scheduled to make $5.5 million in 2011 and was signed through 2012. He started 122 games in his nine seasons and turned into a Pro Bowler after moving from guard to center in 2006.

Gurode, 32, had a slow start to training camp because of a knee surgery in June, which allowed Phil Costa to get the first-team snaps for the first two-plus weeks of training camp. Even after Gurode returned, Costa continued to get some work with the No. 1 offense.

With Gurode gone, the Cowboys likely will go with Costa as their starting center, which is a gamble considering Costa was an undrafted free agent a year ago and is battling a sprained posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. The Cowboys hope Costa will be available for the Sept. 11 season opener at the New York Jets.

Only left tackle Doug Free will return to the same position he played last year with Kyle Kosier moving to right guard to help in the development of rookie first-round pick Tyron Smith, who will start at right tackle. Seventh rounder Bill Nagy appears to be in the lead for the left guard spot. Undrafted rookie Kevin Kowalski started vs. Minnesota on Saturday with Gurode kept out of the lineup by the team and Costa hurt.

Calvin Watkins and Todd Archer cover the Cowboys for ESPNDallas.com.

It's nice to see this team making real roster moves for once. Under Wade they were AWFUL about keeping vets around too long and hindering development and playing time of the younger guys. The OLine has gotten significantly more athletic this year with the three new guys (Smith, Costa, and probably Arkin at LG). I bet the run game is gonna be beast.

While I like that the roster has actually seen some change, this move will bite us in the ass if we have injuries. This guy could play three spots on the OL, and I happen to think he'd have won either the center job or a guard spot simply because he's a fucking beast. I'm disappointed in this move.

Why wouldn't they pay him? I think he'd earned the 5.5 million contract, you know, given the 5 straight pro bowls, 2x all pro and just recently being ranked by the players as the 57th best player in the league..

Why wouldn't they pay him? I think he'd earned the 5.5 million contract, you know, given the 5 straight pro bowls, 2x all pro and just recently being ranked by the players as the 57th best player in the league..

Yeah, man. I'm baffled. It's a little risky to make moves that could blow up in Garret's face rather easily.

Not surprised it happened.

He play has been falling off the past few years and he was no longer was worth the salary he was making.

The OL is young and athletic now which allows the team to run sweeps and tosses much more effectively.

Not surprised it happened.

He play has been falling off the past few years and he was no longer was worth the salary he was making.

The OL is young and athletic now which allows the team to run sweeps and tosses much more effectively.

He's fallen off from the most dominant center in the NFC to a guy who "isn't what he once was but was still the best center in the NFC." That's not really dropping off. This move really doesn't make sense.

I hope Minnesota picks him up and sends that pile of shit called John Sullivan packing.

Meh. He's pretty old already. I trust Garrett Top and Houck to make the right decisions in regards to the O-line.

I like the Youth Movement we're doing, Jerruh has been flogged for not going young, and now that he finally does, he gets criticized by some. (lol.) Damned if he does, damned if he don't.

We'll survive.

He's fallen off from the most dominant center in the NFC to a guy who "isn't what he once was but was still the best center in the NFC." That's not really dropping off. This move really doesn't make sense.

I hope Minnesota picks him up and sends that pile of shit called John Sullivan packing.

Best center in the NFC, really? Give me Kalil over him every game.

The guy could not passblock very well and was horrible making calls at the line.

He was a good run blocker but that's more of a testament to the fact that he is a guard playing center. How many more snaps do we have to see go over Romo's head to prove this?

Edited by FelixTheCat

Guest Phailadelphia

Best center in the NFC, really? Give me Kalil over him every game.

The guy could not passblock very well and was horrible making calls at the line.

He was a good run blocker but that's more of a testament to the fact that he is a guard playing center. How many more snaps do we have to see go over Romo's head to prove this?

^ All of this. Gurode was far past his prime and not worth the money he wanted. Either of the younger guys that are going to replace him are much more athletic and hold up better in pass blocking. Gurode could hold his own against any straight bull rush but got killed by anyone who could make moves on him.

I like this move.

"What we've said right from Day 1 is it doesn't really matter where you came from or what you've done in the past," Garrett said. "We're going to try our best as coaches and evaluators to see what you're doing right now and see what you can do for us going forward. We try to do that individually, we try to do that collectively. We're not in the business of trying to send a message to the rest of the team."

Still, the decision/message was clear to everyone, from veterans who may feel comfortable to rookie free agents still trying to prove themselves.

"That's the way it should be," veteran linebacker Keith Brooking said. "I think when you can create that environment and that message is sent throughout your team -- and it's not just a message, there are examples that run through the team -- I think that's a really good thing for everyone. That's what pushes you, that's what makes you better."

SOURCE: ESPN Dallas

I'd say that says it all when it comes to the cut. I support the O line decisions 100%.