Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Tressel begins new job with Colts this week

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 2, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT

Terrelle Pryor’s college coach will join Pryor in the NFL this year.

Colts coach Jim Caldwell said on a conference call Friday that Tressel was hired as a gameday consultant. Tressel will focus on consulting on replays, with the idea to free up time for other coaches. He’ll also answer questions on sweater vest dos and don’ts.

Caldwell apparently has wanted to create the role for a few years, and Tressel seemed like a nice fit. Tressel visited a few teams during training camp, including the Colts and Browns.

No word yet if the NFL plans to suspend Tressel five games to start the year, like they did with Pryor. (Yes, that’s sarcasm.)

Source: ProFootballTalk

Edited by BLUE

A guy who focuses solely on replays? Man... how do I sign up for that job?

ESPN.com news services

Jim Tressel won't join Colts until Game 7

Jim Tressel won't begin his tenure as replay-game consultant with the Indianapolis Colts until the seventh game of the regular season.

Colts vice chairman Bill Polian said the move came at the former Ohio State coach's suggestion after discussions over the weekend.

"In addition, we had a conversation with league officials to apprise them of the details of Coach Tressel's employment and the issues we were reviewing," Polian said Monday morning in a statement.

Polian said questions surfaced after the announcement of Tressel's hiring "with respect to the equity of his appointment as opposed to suspensions being served this season by present and former Ohio State players."

Link

I would have rather seen this move come from the league as it seems a little weak to come from the team, but at least somebody took action on it

Roger Goodell OK with Jim Tressel ban

ESPN.com news services

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday that he would have suspended Jim Tressel if the Indianapolis Colts didn't make him sit out games to start the 2011 season.

The Colts announced Monday that they wouldn't use the former Ohio State coach as a replay consultant until the seventh game of the season. Tressel was forced out at Ohio State after an investigation into improper benefits received by his players, including quarterback Terrelle Pryor.

"I support that decision. I think that's a wise one," Goodell said Tuesday in an interview with ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike in the Morning. "I think it was clear that if they didn't take an appropriate action, I would have taken appropriate action," Goodell said.

Link Edited by oochymp

I'm still scratching my head about this one. Caldwell is a buffoon. No wonder two of our assistants retired and then showed up on another team.

The Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel is ready to make his NFL debut Sunday at New Orleans.

Tressel, who resigned in May following an NCAA scandal, was hired by Colts coach Jim Caldwell in September to be a game-day consultant. Tressel is expected to work from Indy's coaches' booth and will advise Caldwell about replay reviews.

Three days after announcing their hire, the Colts said the disgraced coach would not begin his duties until the seventh game of the season. The Colts have not made Tressel available for interviews.

Caldwell says Tressel will be in town this week to get a sense of how the Colts practice, but he doesn't expect Tressel to spend much time at the team facility the rest of the season.

Source: Miami Herald

I really hope they don't plan on having Tressel replace Caldwell. As much as I want Caldwell to be shown the door, the last thing we need is a crooked coach. Bring in Fisher!

I thought the whole reason for the Colts not signing Garrard was because of something in his background?

Now I'm just confused.

I thought the whole reason for the Colts not signing Garrard was because of something in his background?

Now I'm just confused.

at this point I think we can pretty well assume that the Colts not signing Garrard probably had more to do with Garrard's back than his background, not to mention I don't know of anything in Garrard's personal background that would make the team shy away from him

at this point I think we can pretty well assume that the Colts not signing Garrard probably had more to do with Garrard's back than his background, not to mention I don't know of anything in Garrard's personal background that would make the team shy away from him

Bingo.

I really hope they don't plan on having Tressel replace Caldwell. As much as I want Caldwell to be shown the door, the last thing we need is a crooked coach. Bring in Fisher!

I'm honestly expecting this to happen. They'll fire Caldwell and make Tressel the HC.

Oh come on. A crooked coach? Seriously? It was NCAA football. THEY'RE ALL CROOKED!!!! It's now the NFL, where everyone gets paid. What he did at OSU isn't against the rules in Indianapolis.