Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Rob Ryan: Megatron is cut below Miles, Dez

Yeah, and this thread is about #1 WRs. Welker may be the best slot receiver in the game but he is by no means a true #1. He doesn't have the size to work outside. All things being equal, it'd be incredibly stupid to take Welker over Austin.

idk how this topic got to where it's gotten... But I agree with 200% with this...

Guest Phailadelphia

So to be a true #1 receiver, you have to be big and play on the outside? Wow. Coz I thought it was how many yards you can get, the amount of touchdowns you score and whether or not you help your team get a win in the end of the day in the role you have on offense. Haven't seen Austin do that recently.

He just did it a week ago, guy. 3 TDs against SF.

I actually think this a solid list of top 10 WR's, bro.

Nicks and Miles are interchangeable, IMO. I'd probably put Nicks ahead of him, for the same reason you put Austin of Hakeem.

:yep:

I'm also willing to put both Austin and Nicks ahead of Roddy White, but I assumed there'd be major uproar if I did that.

I don't think Miles Austin is better than Roddy White. I do believe Nicks is better than White though. White makes a few drops here and there. This year he has already had back to back games with 2 drops each, in key situations. He's not playing good.

Hakeem Nicks is an absolute monster, I thought he was going to be one right out of college and turned out he was. I'm not sold on Austin though.

I don't think Miles Austin is better than Roddy White. I do believe Nicks is better than White though. White makes a few drops here and there. This year he has already had back to back games with 2 drops each, in key situations. He's not playing good.

Hakeem Nicks is an absolute monster, I thought he was going to be one right out of college and turned out he was. I'm not sold on Austin though.

Have fun explaining why not. He's provided as much proof as Nicks has.

Guest Phailadelphia

Have fun explaining why not. He's provided as much proof as Nicks has.

He's provided more if you ask me. Back to back 1000 yard, 10 TD seasons.

Hopefully Rob Ryan learned the difference between showing confidence and showing everyone how dumb he is. Did he make these proclamations before he was in Dallas and nobody cared, or did he suddenly just grow balls?

Not tryna come off as a homer but seriously, wtf. Is Romo not a capable QB? (trolling aside here) Not saying I agree with his position that high on Thanatos' list but he's still a top 10 receiver. Besides, he's not the only one who placed him in the top 10 so why jump the gun on him, lmao

My list is not in order. I didn't want to sit down and decide who was ahead of whom, just who I thought was better than Austin. I'm not saying Wallace is #4 in the NFL, for example.

And yes, I agree, Welker is a #1 receiver. Just because you aren't big and can't catch jump balls doesn't make you ineligible to be a #1 receiver. Welker, I believe, has the most yards in the NFL atm. When Brady was out and Cassel was in, he didn't really slow down, so he's hardly a product of Tom Brady.

Maybe someone could argue he's a product of the Patriots, but I could just as easily say that Austin is a product of the Cowboys. And both would be equally stupid statements.

Austin is good, even great. Heck I said he was #13 overall. Apparently that's not high enough for Cowboy fans.

He just did it a week ago, guy. 3 TDs against SF.

And Welker does it pretty much every time the Pats win. Thus, Welker is a #1 receiver.

Also, who said this thread is about #1 receivers? This thread is about Rob Ryan being an idiot and saying Calvin Johnson wouldn't even be #2 on his team. So it logically led to others of us saying Miles wouldn't be #1 on other teams besides the Cowboys, such as the Chargers, Colts, Packers, Panthers, Patriots, etc., by naming their best receivers.

Edited by Thanatos19

the reason that 13 is too low, Thanatos, is because there aren't 12 WRs in the NFL that are better than Miles Austin. There's 7, at most.

Guest Phailadelphia

How often does Welker draw double coverage? That's not a rhetorical question. I'm genuinely curious.

And Welker does it pretty much every time the Pats win. Thus, Welker is a #1 receiver.

Also, who said this thread is about #1 receivers? This thread is about Rob Ryan being an idiot and saying Calvin Johnson wouldn't even be #2 on his team. So it logically led to others of us saying Miles wouldn't be #1 on other teams besides the Cowboys, such as the Chargers, Colts, Packers, Panthers, Patriots, etc., by naming their best receivers.

So does Austin. Like I've already said, back to back 1000 yard seasons and 21 TDs in the 2009 and 2010. He still gets the double teams over Dez.

He wouldn't be the go-to guy on the Panthers or Patriots? LOL. You are MASSIVELY underrating Austin. He is most definitely a #1 WR on most teams in this league.

In Austin's first 16 starts (so basically, an entire season) he had 1713 yards and 13 TDs while being essentially the only target for Romo besides Witten (meaning he got doubled all day every day). You can't make a legitimate argument that he's not an elite #1 based on those numbers. I'm not even going to get into YPC and YAC numbers over that time period.

Edited by Phailadelphia

How often does Welker draw double coverage? That's not a rhetorical question. I'm genuinely curious.

So does Austin. Like I've already said, back to back 1000 yard seasons and 21 TDs in the 2009 and 2010. He still gets the double teams over Dez.

He wouldn't be the go-to guy on the Panthers or Patriots? LOL. You are MASSIVELY underrating Austin. He is most definitely a #1 WR on most teams in this league.

In Austin's first 16 starts (so basically, an entire season) he had 1486 yards and 13 TDs while being essentially the only target for Romo besides Witten (meaning he got doubled all day every day). You can't make a legitimate argument that he's not an elite #1 based on those numbers. I'm not even going to get into YPC and YAC numbers over that time period.

I'm done posting in this thread, man. We've already proven these guys wrong several times. I'm chalking it up to not wanting to give credit to a player with a star on his helmet.

Guest Phailadelphia

Oops, my math was off. He had just over 1700 yards in his first 16 starts.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Hopefully Rob Ryan learned the difference between showing confidence and showing everyone how dumb he is. Did he make these proclamations before he was in Dallas and nobody cared, or did he suddenly just grow balls?

Yeah, Juan Castillo wouldn't say this. That's why he's the better coordinator!

You kidding me? You really think Austin would be #1 in Carolina over Smitty? Now, in 2011?

Completely and totally disagree on that. Steve Smith is a better wide receiver than Miles Austin, hands down.

As for Welker, he has gone over 1000 yards 3 out of his last 4 seasons, and had 850 last year when he only started 11 games. He also already has 616 this year, in a quarter of a season, on pace to break 2400 yards receiving. Obviously, he will probably slow down, but another 1300-yard season is quite easily within reach. To say he is anything short of elite is just silly.

Yeah, Juan Castillo wouldn't say this. That's why he's the better coordinator!

Nothing to do with whether or not Rob Ryan's a good coordinator. Has everything to do with being an idiot that runs his mouth off and says stupid shit such as "we play against better receivers [than Calvin Johnson] in practice every week, with Austin and Dez."

Here's you an alternate way to say essentially what he said, without being a moron and saying Calvin Johnson would be #3 receiver on the Cowboys:

Question was: Are you worried about your defense being able to cover Calvin Johnson?

Much better answer: No, I'm not. Megatron is a great wide receiver, but we also have two great wide receivers that we practice against every week in Austin and Bryant, and I'm confident that that will prepare us to play against Megatron."

No one says anything, everyone agrees it's a good comeback to a tricky question, and we don't have a controversy because a Ryan stuck his foot in his mouth again. At least Rob sticks his own foot in his mouth, instead of other's.

Edited by Thanatos19

Guest Phailadelphia

You kidding me? You really think Austin would be #1 in Carolina over Smitty? Now, in 2011?

Completely and totally disagree on that. Steve Smith is a better wide receiver than Miles Austin, hands down.

No, I'm not kidding. Yes, Austin is the better receiver.

No, I'm not kidding. Yes, Austin is the better receiver.

Bullshit.

Smitty had five years in a row with over 950 yards receiving. He would've broken 1000 5 years in a row if he hadn't broken his arm at the end of the '09 season.

In '10, he had a horrible QB situation, and got 550. Now that he has a good QB at the helm again, he has 520 yards in 4 games, easily on pace for his 5th 1000-yard receiving season in 7 years. Far more consistency at the position that Austin, and they both are freakish athletes that can win jump balls when you completely would not expect them to be able to.

Smitty is the better receiver because he has proven he can put up those numbers year after year, Austin has done it twice. Get back to me in three years when Austin has done it three more times, and then we can talk.

Right now, if Austin was traded to Carolina because the Cowboys were stupid enough to give him to us, he'd be the #2 receiver. Granted, I would be ecstatic because he would be just the part we need, but no way is he better than Smitty.

let's be honest here, Tom Brady's go to guy is the guy who's open, just the fact that Welker consistently gets as many catches as he does in that offense tells you how good he is

Guest Phailadelphia

Bullshit.

Smitty had five years in a row with over 950 yards receiving. He would've broken 1000 5 years in a row if he hadn't broken his arm at the end of the '09 season.

In '10, he had a horrible QB situation, and got 550. Now that he has a good QB at the helm again, he has 520 yards in 4 games, easily on pace for his 5th 1000-yard receiving season in 7 years. Far more consistency at the position that Austin, and they both are freakish athletes that can win jump balls when you completely would not expect them to be able to.

Smitty is the better receiver because he has proven he can put up those numbers year after year, Austin has done it twice. Get back to me in three years when Austin has done it three more times, and then we can talk.

Right now, if Austin was traded to Carolina because the Cowboys were stupid enough to give him to us, he'd be the #2 receiver. Granted, I would be ecstatic because he would be just the part we need, but no way is he better than Smitty.

You're making unjust comparisons. Austin has only played 2 years as a starter, and has notched 1000 yards in both those seasons. There's nothing there to suggest he can't or hasn't played with the same consistency. Regardless of how long Steve Smith has done it, he's getting old. Austin is still a kid. Austin is the better WR.

Nothing to do with whether or not Rob Ryan's a good coordinator. .

In 2011, I would take the guy whose caught for over a thousand yards each of the past 2 seasons while also getting in the endzone 18 times as opposed to what Steve Smith has done the past 2 years. And he's 5 years younger..

And you wouldn't get the joke about Juan Castillo, so don't chime in.

You're making unjust comparisons. Austin has only played 2 years as a starter, and has notched 1000 yards in both those seasons. There's nothing there to suggest he can't or hasn't played with the same consistency. Regardless of how long Steve Smith has done it, he's getting old. Austin is still a kid. Austin is the better WR.

Smith had 982 yards on 65 catches in 2009 with Jake Delhomme throwing to him and 554 on 46 last year with Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen throwing to him, not bad at all consider his QBs, throw in that he's already got 530 yards this year (putting him on pace for over 2,000) and you can't call Smith done, age ain't everything. FTR, I realize that Austin had Jon Kitna throwing to him last year, but don't try to tell me you would take Delhomme, Moore, or Clausen over Kitna.

Guest Phailadelphia

@BryanBroaddus ever watched tape on CAR S. Smith? would you say right now he's better than Austin? injuries, etc. aside who do you take?

@tg87 I really like both players. Run after catch, toughness. Have seen Miles so much in person that I would probably lean that way.

Alright, they're both good. Can we all shut up now?

@BryanBroaddus ever watched tape on CAR S. Smith? would you say right now he's better than Austin? injuries, etc. aside who do you take?

@tg87 I really like both players. Run after catch, toughness. Have seen Miles so much in person that I would probably lean that way.

Alright, they're both good. Can we all shut up now?

Yeah this is a kinda silly debate. I think Smitty is #10, Austin is #13, you guys think Austin is #7, and Smitty is #15 or so.

Big deal. They're both elite WRs, and I would be happy to have either one on my team.

The better debate is whether you would want Cam Newton or Tony Romo as your QB. :p