Sign in to follow this  
WindyCitySports

Obama getting tough on Iran

President Barack Obama said today that Iran will "pay a price" through sanctions and international pressure for its recent hostile behavior including the alleged Iran-directed plot to assassinate the Saudi Arabian ambassador to the U.S. in Washington, D.C.

Echoing previous statements by top U.S. officials, Obama said that when dealing with Iran, "We don't take any options off the table," but did not make any mention of possible military action in favor of pushing harsh economic sanctions and corralling international condemnation of Iran's alleged action.

"We're going to continue... to mobilize the international community to make sure that Iran is further and further isolated and pays a price for this kind of behavior," Obama said.

Obama declined to comment on whether he believed the highest levels of the Iranian government were aware or involved in the alleged plot, but said even if the Iranian president or supreme leader did not have "detailed operational knowledge, there has to be accountability with respect to anybody in the Iranian government engaging in this kind of activity."

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-iran-pay-price-assassination-plot-170344019.html

God help us if we go to war with Iran. I understand that they are asking for it, but we can not afford another war, nor do American citizens deserve to die over political issues.

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Jean-Paul Sartre

Iran has a military budget of 8 billion dollars. Their nuclear capability is nonexistent and it doesn't seem like it will change anytime soon. Just one of many examples of the US using scare tactics to get people to buy into whatever bullshit the government is selling. In this case it seems they're selling Obama. Fuck him, fuck the government.

• Upvote 2

Why the fuck is this our problem? Let the Saudi's deal with it. I really wish the U.S. would just pull every American out of the middle east and let them handle their own business. If they want to war just let them.

Typical propaganda move. He knows his numbers are lower then any other president in US history and the election trail is about to heat up.

Pretty damn funny the guy who said he'd have our troops home by now is on the other side of the street looking back now.

I understand that Iran isn't our biggest fan, but we don't need another war. Our economy is already bad enough as is, and we're losing people daily to a lost cause. If you look at the last 4,000 years of history you'd know that the Middle East has always been a religious battlefield. They've fought their religious wars and have slaughtered their own people without any interference from us, so there's no need for us to butt our heads in and try to prevent it. All we do is hurt our economy, make enemies, and lose our own people as well while earning the image of pompous assholes. I agree with what themush said above. I find it pretty funny that Obama was all about bringing our troops home when he was running, and that was a big thing I liked about him. Well, looks like he fooled us there! Fuck the war, there's no need for it. Fuck the corrupt thing we call "government", the majority needs to take it back from the minority.

• Upvote 1

Why the fuck is this our problem? Let the Saudi's deal with it. I really wish the U.S. would just pull every American out of the middle east and let them handle their own business. If they want to war just let them.

They planned on assassinating him in Washington DC. That's why it's our problem.

• Upvote 1

Can't even count how many foreign governments we have overthrown on foreign soil.

I don't really see Iran as a threat. They do anything on a major scale, and the entire globe is going to erase them from the face of the Earth.

If Iran ever becomes an actual threat, just tell Israel to take care of them. They are just waiting for an excuse. The US does NOT need to be involved in yet another war.

They planned on assassinating him in Washington DC. That's why it's our problem.

So do drunken red-neck hicks down in the South.

We should take Iran about as seriously.

If Iran ever becomes an actual threat, just tell Israel to take care of them. They are just waiting for an excuse. The US does NOT need to be involved in yet another war.

The Israeli's use us to do their dirty work. Same thing happened in Iraq, and wouldn't doubt that it is about to happen again.

It's quite clear that the Iranian government is not a friend of the US and that they would probably like to go to war with us. We have to look at things in our own interests though. We can't afford another war. How many times have we made the mistake of invading a country and remaining there for a decade trying to set up a government? When are we going to learn that this is not good foreign policy?

Do you know anything about Iran? The only way Israel would win a war against Iran is if they launch a bunch of nukes at them, which the U.N. won't be too fond of. There won't be any coming back from that and it would piss off a hell of a lot more middle eastern countries. Iran has 3 times the active military personnel and would be able to put together a much larger army than Israel would, seeing as they have over 10 times the population. They've said themselves they could put together a 12 million man army in a matter of days. That's 5 million more people than Israel's entire population. Iran also has a very strategic spot in the middle east. They could seriously fuck up a lot of peoples economy just by bombing a bunch of Saudi's oil factories that are very very close to them. On top of that Israel is probably one of the most hated countries in the middle east. Iran would surely get quite a few allies.

Do you know anything about Iran? The only way Israel would win a war against Iran is if they launch a bunch of nukes at them, which the U.N. won't be too fond of. There won't be any coming back from that and it would piss off a hell of a lot more middle eastern countries. Iran has 3 times the active military personnel and would be able to put together a much larger army than Israel would, seeing as they have over 10 times the population. They've said themselves they could put together a 12 million man army in a matter of days. That's 5 million more people than Israel's entire population. Iran also has a very strategic spot in the middle east. They could seriously fuck up a lot of peoples economy just by bombing a bunch of Saudi's oil factories that are very very close to them. On top of that Israel is probably one of the most hated countries in the middle east. Iran would surely get quite a few allies.

Yes, because that worked out so well the last time the Arabs all got together and tried to wipe out Israel.

Numbers aren't everything. Israel has been under constant attack, almost, from 1968 onwards. It does things to people, and they are more than capable of defending themselves. If Iran actually masses a ground invasion of Israel, I highly doubt A) they would win, B) the rest of the world would sit by and let them take it.

Nor was I suggesting Israel would launch a ground assault on Iran. They would bomb the ever-living shit out of them. Israel has the better air force by far, the IAF is one of the best in the world. That is a huge point in their favor.

There is no reason to go into Iran merely as a preemptive strike. Israel is more than capable of defending itself plenty long enough for us to come to their aid if there was an actual war, (in which Iran was the clear aggressor, otherwise, Israel should be left on its own).

But for the love of God, Jesus, Allah, Buddha, and whatever other deity you care to name, can we please not START another war. Let Iran make the first move.

Edited by Thanatos19

It's quite clear that the Iranian government is not a friend of the US and that they would probably like to go to war with us. We have to look at things in our own interests though. We can't afford another war. How many times have we made the mistake of invading a country and remaining there for a decade trying to set up a government? When are we going to learn that this is not good foreign policy?

It's much better to go in, wipe out the government, and then get out immediately. :p

But I know what you mean.

Yes, because that worked out so well the last time the Arabs all got together and tried to wipe out Israel.

Numbers aren't everything. Israel has been under constant attack, almost, from 1968 onwards. It does things to people, and they are more than capable of defending themselves. If Iran actually masses a ground invasion of Israel, I highly doubt A) they would win, B) the rest of the world would sit by and let them take it.

Nor was I suggesting Israel would launch a ground assault on Iran. They would bomb the ever-living shit out of them. Israel has the better air force by far, the IAF is one of the best in the world. That is a huge point in their favor.

There is no reason to go into Iran merely as a preemptive strike. Israel is more than capable of defending itself plenty long enough for us to come to their aid if there was an actual war, (in which Iran was the clear aggressor, otherwise, Israel should be left on its own).

But for the love of God, Jesus, Allah, Buddha, and whatever other deity you care to name, can we please not START another war. Let Iran make the first move.

#1 You said let Israel take care of them, that would entail Israel attacking Iran, not the other way around, so you bringing up a 6-day war that didn't even involve Iran is rather pointless. No one suggested Iran would or even could take over Israel, I simply said Israel would not win a war against Iran if they decided to "take care of them". Neither side is capable of winning if they chose to bring an attack on the other.

#2 Israel may have a great airforce but Iran has invested a shit ton into air-defense just for that reason. They would need more than an air assault, especially since many of the countries surrounding them would not allow them to fly their planes over their territory without retaliation. They are surrounded by Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan, none of which like Israel. Their only way of attacking Iran with their airforce without getting other countries involved is to go around through Turkey, and that would only leave them with a relatively small area to go into Iran. Unfortunately for Israel they are in one of the worst spots they could be in as far as strategic positioning goes, and there's no way they would ever be able to reach Iran with anything but an airforce, which as I said wouldn't turn out very well either.

#1 You said let Israel take care of them, that would entail Israel attacking Iran, not the other way around, so you bringing up a 6-day war that didn't even involve Iran is rather pointless. No one suggested Iran would or even could take over Israel, I simply said Israel would not win a war against Iran if they decided to "take care of them". Neither side is capable of winning if they chose to bring an attack on the other.

#2 Israel may have a great airforce but Iran has invested a shit ton into air-defense just for that reason. They would need more than an air assault, especially since many of the countries surrounding them would not allow them to fly their planes over their territory without retaliation. They are surrounded by Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan, none of which like Israel. Their only way of attacking Iran with their airforce without getting other countries involved is to go around through Turkey, and that would only leave them with a relatively small area to go into Iran. Unfortunately for Israel they are in one of the worst spots they could be in as far as strategic positioning goes, and there's no way they would ever be able to reach Iran with anything but an airforce, which as I said wouldn't turn out very well either.

Well we can agree to disagree. I think you're giving the Israelis the short end of the stick. They would be capable of taking out Iran's nuclear capabilities, IMO, which is what would make them a threat.

Anyway the entire comment about Israel was half-joking. I did not mean Israel would take over Iran, merely that they could remove them as a threat, whether with nuclear missiles or their vastly superior air-force. The POINT of the comment was that WE don't need to stop Iran, let someone else do it. I don't really care who it is, (if Iran ever needs to be stopped).

Regardless, let us hope it never comes to that. We don't need another war, especially not in the already messed up Middle East.

Edited by Thanatos19

Ok, where to start. First. Iran may hate the US and Israel and would love to see us both eat shit, but they want no parts of either of us in any kind of war. Like I said, Iran has an 8 billion dollar military budget. We give more than that to the Israeli military ourselves. We spend over 300x's that on our own military budget and just because you can raise a 12 million man army doesn't mean that they'll be well trained enough or well equipped enough to stand any kind of chances against the US and Israel and make no mistake. Any war involving any 2 of those three countries would quickly turn into a war involving all three and by quickly I mean immediately.

As for BWare's stupid comment about them planning to assassinate Obama, it's not really a cause for any action other than the CIA and secret service to amp up security for the president.

Exactly. Israel knows it's place in the pecking order, and it isn't very high. Not even they are dumb enough to facilitate a full out war by pulling stupid stunts like this.

Smells like a set up, to me. Garner public support for a new war by painting Iran as the bad guy to the masses. Who exactly would benefit from such a war? Most certainly not Iran. The US, Israel, and the Saudi's all have ground to make up if this were to continue to escalate.

Exactly. Israel knows it's place in the pecking order, and it isn't very high. Not even they are dumb enough to facilitate a full out war by pulling stupid stunts like this.

Smells like a set up, to me. Garner public support for a new war by painting Iran as the bad guy to the masses. Who exactly would benefit from such a war? Most certainly not Iran. The US, Israel, and the Saudi's all have ground to make up if this were to continue to escalate.

It's the same old set up too. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad makes for a good boogey man. All you have to do is look to the past. I think after two wars with Iraq it was pretty clear that while Saddam Huessein was a bad guy he and Iraq were never a threat to us. Manuel Norieaga was never really a threat. He just like Saddam was supported by the US and set up by the US and was then used to scare people into buying into the agenda of our government. Those are just two names of many boogey men used by the government to scare people into eating the bullshit that's fed to us.

It's not like you have to be some tin foil hat wearing nut job to believe this either. It's just well known facts that are convieniently glossed over with time and it hasn't even been that long since we chased our last boogey man but people are quick to forget. I just wish that before people reacted to this sort of thing that they would think about it and remember history, recent history at that. The psychoanalytic public relations industry in combination with mass media is a very powerful machine though.

I don't honestly think the U.S. would benefit from a war with Iran. If anything it would be detriment to us because of the situation we're already in. Saudi would benefit however, and they've been trying to get the U.S. to go to war with Iran for a while now. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they set it up.

I mean cmon, Iran isn't retarded enough to attack a Saudi ambassador on American soil. There would be no benefit to Iran from doing so. What a better way to try and get the U.S. closer to a war with Iran than to make it appear Iran is trying to kill political people inside of the U.S. This shit smells fishier than a lesbian bar.

I don't honestly think the U.S. would benefit from a war with Iran. If anything it would be detriment to us because of the situation we're already in. Saudi would benefit however, and they've been trying to get the U.S. to go to war with Iran for a while now. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they set it up.

I mean cmon, Iran isn't retarded enough to attack a Saudi ambassador on American soil. There would be no benefit to Iran from doing so. What a better way to try and get the U.S. closer to a war with Iran than to make it appear Iran is trying to kill political people inside of the U.S. This shit smells fishier than a lesbian bar.

It helps us to keep our interests in the middle east happy. Those interests being Israel and the Saudi Arabia. That's why we are always prodded into doing their dirty work.

It helps us to keep our interests in the middle east happy. Those interests being Israel and the Saudi Arabia. That's why we are always prodded into doing their dirty work.

Yes, but we wouldn't actually gain anything from a war with them. Not going to war won't change how things currently are with Israel and Saudi Arabia. There's just no reason for the U.S. to stage something like this to go to war when it will only serve to further ruin our economy. If the whole thing was staged it makes the most sense that it would be the Saudi's.

Yes, but we wouldn't actually gain anything from a war with them. Not going to war won't change how things currently are with Israel and Saudi Arabia. There's just no reason for the U.S. to stage something like this to go to war when it will only serve to further ruin our economy. If the whole thing was staged it makes the most sense that it would be the Saudi's.

If we had nothing to gain, Obama wouldn't be threatening war.

Israeli President Shimon Peres warned on Sunday that an attack on Iran is becoming increasingly likely, days before a report by the UN's nuclear watchdog on Iran's nuclear programme is due.

"The possibility of a military attack against Iran is now closer to being applied than the application of a diplomatic option," Peres told the Israel Hayom daily.

"We must stay calm and resist pressure so that we can consider every alternative," he added.

"I don't think that any decision has already been made, but there is an impression that Iran is getting closer to nuclear weapons."

His comments came after he warned in an interview aired by Israel's privately-owned Channel Two television on Saturday that an attack on Iran was becoming "more and more likely."

"The intelligence services of the different countries that are keeping an eye on (Iran) are worried and putting pressure on their leaders to warn that Iran is ready to obtain the nuclear weapon," he said.

In France meanwhile, French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe warned that an attack on Iran would be disastrous.

"We have imposed sanctions that continue to expand, we can toughen them to put pressure on Iran," Juppe told Europe 1 radio.

"We will continue on this path because a military intervention could create a situation that completely destabilises the region," he said.

"Everything must be done to avoid the irreversible."

In recent days, speculation in Israel has grown about the possibility of a pre-emptive strike against Iranian nuclear facilities, with Haaretz newspaper reporting that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Ehud Barak were seeking cabinet support for an attack.

And the military last week carried out what Israeli media called a "ballistic missile" test, as well as a large-scale civil defence drill simulating the response to conventional and non-conventional missile attacks.

Officials said both events were long-planned, but they drove talk here about whether Israel is ramping up plans for an attack.

On Sunday, Haaretz reported that US officials had failed to secure a commitment from Israel that it would coordinate any attack plans with Washington.

Still, media reports suggested no final decision has been taken and that a report by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) nuclear watchdog on November 8 or 9 would have a "decisive effect" on decision-making.

Previous IAEA assessments have centred on Iran's efforts to produce fissile material -- uranium and plutonium -- that can be used for power generation and other peaceful uses, but also for the core of a nuclear warhead.

However the new update, which diplomats say will be circulated among envoys on Tuesday or Wednesday, will focus on Iran's alleged efforts to put the fissile material in a warhead and develop missiles to carry them to a target.

On Monday, Barak denied reports that he and Netanyahu had already decided to attack Iran over the opposition of military and intelligence chiefs.

But he said "situations could arise in the Middle East under which Israel must defend its vital interests independently, without having to rely on regional or other forces."

Haaretz said a majority of the 15 members of Israel's security cabinet were still against an attack on Iran, and a poll published by the newspaper found Israeli public opinion divided, with 41 percent in favour, 39 percent opposed and 20 percent undecided.

Israel has consistently warned all options remain on the table when it comes to Iran's nuclear programme, which the Jewish state and Western governments fear masks a drive for nuclear weapons.

Iran denies any such ambition and insists its nuclear programme is for power generation and medical purposes only.

In comments published on Sunday, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi accused the IAEA of "political" behaviour and said its report would be "baseless."

"I believe that these documents lack authenticity. But if they insist, they should go ahead and publish. Better to face danger once than be always in danger," several Iranian dailies quoted Salehi as saying.

"We have said repeatedly that their documents are baseless. For example one can counterfeit money, but it remains counterfeit. These documents are like that," Salehi said.