Sign in to follow this  
BucD

Could Andrew Luck Make A Power Play?

Per PFT:

Some fear Luck could make a power play

Posted by Mike Florio on October 19, 2011, 9:57 AM EDT

As the “Suck for Luck” campaign moves from simmer toward full boil, there’s a caveat. If sucking for Luck creates the impression that the franchise sucks too badly, Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck could make an Eli Manning-style power play.

Albert Breer of NFL.com reports that some in league circles are concerned that Luck and his father, WVU athletics director Oliver Luck (who once was the 44th overall pick in the draft), could make it known that Andrew doesn’t want to play, or simply won’t play, for the team that holds the top pick in the draft, in the hopes of forcing a trade.

“Absolutely. I’ve heard that for the last two years,” an unnamed scout told Breer. “There’s no question that it could be a Manning thing all over again.”

The “Manning thing” refers to the 2004 draft. Archie Manning, former NFL quarterback, made it clear that Eli didn’t want to play for the Chargers, who held the first pick in the draft. So the Chargers took Eli and then traded him to the Giants, who had taken Philip Rivers with the fourth overall pick. (As legend has it, Archie took the heat for the move, even though it was Eli who desperately didn’t want to play for the Chargers.)

Forcing a trade represents the far more realistic alternative to Andrew Luck simply choosing to stay in school another year in order to avoid playing for an organization that he and his father deem to be dysfunctional. Indeed, there’s no guarantee that, if Andrew Luck spends one more season at Stanford, the franchise with the first pick in 2013 will be as bad or worse than the franchise that emerges with the first pick in 2012.

This means that, once a team secures the first overall pick, communications will commence with the Lucks to find out whether Andrew is lukewarm about playing for that franchise — and whether anything can be done to make the team more attractive, such as hiring a certain coach. As Breer points out, the situation gives Luck plenty of power as his pro career commences.

Of course, the ultimate irony would arise if the Broncos lose to the Dolphins on Sunday, if the Broncos ultimately “earn” the top pick, and if the best Stanford quarterback since John Elway does to the team Elway currently runs that which Elway did 28 years ago, forcing a trade just like Elway did.

I could see this happening if Miami ends up with the number one pick and the Colts number two. If I am a Quarterback I'd much rather go to Indy...learning under Peyton. I dunno if I'd go all "pulling a power move" though.

Edited by BucD

I don't know a lot about Luck, but he doesn't seem like enough of a prick to pull that sort of move, although if he does it to Denver then I will have to appreciate the irony

Edited by oochymp

Eli didn't want to go with the Chargers because Ryan Leaf supposedly told Peyton that the Chargers basically left everything up to him to figure out while the Colts bent over backwards to help Peyton's transition into the NFL. Andrew Luck's situation will most likely be very different.

I don't know a lot about Luck, but he doesn't seem like enough of a prick to pull that sort of move, although if he does it to Denver then I will have to appreciate the irony

I feel the same way. If he's the type of person to turn down being a surefire #1 pick to go back to school for education in the same year that his head coach left for the NFL, I don't think he's the type of person to pull a douche Eli move. Then again, you just never know sometimes.

I'm over this crap.

Where do these kids get off telling a NFL team not to draft them. Fuck you. Be happy, be honored, to be the first overall pick. I still remember when Bo Jackson pretty much did this to the Bucs and we drafted him anyway.

Per PFT:

I could see this happening if Miami ends up with the number one pick and the Colts number two. If I am a Quarterback I'd much rather go to Indy...learning under Peyton. I dunno if I'd go all "pulling a power move" though.

Why would you rather go to Indy? Caldwell is not stellar and may be gone... Miami will have a new coach has a solid organization at the top and you have the opportunity to start early. Oh yea and its Miami:

ipanemic-beach-shot.jpg

Plus in Miami he would have some weapons offensively with Marshall. Thomas is going to be a real good back imo and they even have a solid TE. Good franchise LT. Miami is about as ideal as it gets for a number 1 pick.

I hope he does do this, then I hope the team that drafts him (if he doesn't want to play for them) says screw you and makes him sit out a year by not trading him away. Prissy little brats a lot of these college players are. Do they not understand it's not a RIGHT to play in the NFL, it's a PRIVILEGE. He should be happy with the fact that he will get to play in one of the greatest sports in the world, and get money doing so.

FTR I completely hate the notion that some punk entering the NFL draft would "Pull a power move" and say "I don't wanna play for you....trade me!"

Ridiculous.

Also...yes I would much rather go play for the Colts if I am Luck. They are both winless for a reason and I'd say the Quarterback position (or lack thereof) plays a bigger role in that record with the Colts than the Phins. The Colts are a better run organization IMO and you get to learn from one of the best to ever play it. Hell some are calling Luck a more athletic Peyton.

Yea Miami has a lot of hot bitches etc....but with all the money he's gonna get he can get a vacation home down there. lol

slightly off topic, but it's regarding Luck and I don't feel like creating a new thread.

I was watching ESPN earlier today and Mel Kiper said if the Rams get the #1 pick they should trade Sam Bradford and draft Luck, I thought it was absolutely absurd and thought I'd share for everyone else's amusement

Why would you rather go to Indy? Caldwell is not stellar and may be gone... Miami will have a new coach has a solid organization at the top and you have the opportunity to start early. Oh yea and its Miami:

ipanemic-beach-shot.jpg

Let's hope that's how he's thinking.

slightly off topic, but it's regarding Luck and I don't feel like creating a new thread.

I was watching ESPN earlier today and Mel Kiper said if the Rams get the #1 pick they should trade Sam Bradford and draft Luck, I thought it was absolutely absurd and thought I'd share for everyone else's amusement

http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54197-if-youre-the-rams-and-have-the-1-overall-pick/page__pid__2363913

Looks like Mel's in the minority.

Edited by SteVo

Even if the Colts have the #2 pick I don't think Luck would really want to go there over the Dolphins. First off good QB's don't want to be a back-up and if Peyton plays next year that's exactly what he'll be. Most guys want to start right away. Second, Tony Sparano will likely be fired after this season, especially if they get pick #1. A new Head Coach and staff plus the good offensive players Luck would have around him in Miami could be enticing. Also as far as the future is concerned I think the Dolphins are in a better boat especially if they get a new coaching staff. They have more good players that are young, while a lot of the Colts best players are either leaving their prime or will be in a couple years.

• Upvote 1